Removing sheared crank pinch bolt

I move my left crank power meter across bikes. I try to change the pinch bolts over every now and then, but obviously not often enough as I've sheared one of the 6mm Allen key head bolts, so I can't remove it. It's in a recess into the end of the crank, so I can't grip it with a mole grip or similar. Any advice about how I can get it out myself? Thanks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    edited February 2020
    Drill into the end with a left handed drill bit. That may well spin it out, but if not, you can use a bolt extractor like this to get it out.
  • They dont need changing. Just install with some anti seize and torque to the correct torque. Then leave them alone until the bb needs changing.

Drill out on reverse. If your lucky it will unscrew it self. If your not stick a screw extractor into the hole and remove the bolt once the pilot hole has been drilled. If that fails destroy the jolt and use a helicoil.

Patience is your friend here. Good luck.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    topcattim said:

I move my left crank power meter across bikes. I try to change the pinch bolts over every now and then, but obviously not often enough as I've sheared one of the 6mm Allen key head bolts, so I can't remove it. It's in a recess into the end of the crank, so I can't grip it with a mole grip or similar. Any advice about how I can get it out myself? Thanks

You are not alone in doing this........... get someone to try and hold it steady and drill out from the other side. Cycleclinic is right to suggest antisieze but i also recommend using 12nm to torque (i.e. the lower end of the range) and havent had any issues since.