Solving one noisy gear, any advice?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
On my winter bike i'm running shimano 8 speed claris. Everything was hunky dory until i replaced the chain and cassette last weekend. Exactly the same cassette ratio as before and chain length matched to previous chain. Since then shifting is fine apart from moving in to the 4th sprocket, up or down, when it hesitates and is loud. It doesn't try to jump out of the gear but sounds like it is about to. I have tried everything i can think of, new cables, new outer cables, even tried changing the chainset. Checked the front mech which is set perfectly, and have also checked the rear mech and hanger.

I also use the bike on the kickr, so there is an 8 speed cassette (same ratio) on there and prior to the change of chain shifting was perfect, now though it is hesitant to change in to the 4th sprocket and is noisy when it does move in to the gear.

Any ideas?

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Have you aligned the hanger as part of your ‘check’?

PP
  • redvision

Have you aligned the hanger as part of your ‘check’?

PP

Yep.

Even took both bike and kickr to the lbs today and they are completely stumped as well.

• tsarouxaz
    tsarouxaz Posts: 70
    edited February 2020
    change the inner shift cable and see what happens. if you are at the same result, it seems that either the derailleur is faulty at that point, or rarely there is a problem with the shifter at that particular notch made for that gear. first cable, second a derailleur third a shifter. all that provided your cassette is in good shape. :)
  • Is it possible to pop the old cassette back on and test that again, briefly. If the old cassette is fine on that particular gear take it off again. Lay the two cassettes on a flat surface side by side and examine carefully. If the old cassette is not fine then that leaves just the chain. Some chains are designed to only drive in one direction, if your not sure about yours, try turning it.
    When fault finding it's important to change only ONE thing at a time

post back with your findings please
  • redvision
    Just an update, changed cassette and chain again (and cassette on kickr) and problem solved. No noise and no slow/ hesitant gear changes.

Very strange issue. Could possibly put it down to a bad batch of cassettes I guess, but still annoying not to pinpoint exactly what was causing it.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
  • redvision said:

Very strange issue. Could possibly put it down to a bad batch of cassettes I guess, but still annoying not to pinpoint exactly what was causing it.

My money was on the chain, but we'll never know now LOL - Glad your sorted now, these little noises can get inside your head ;)