MTB chainwheel

i have a very old mtb and the chainwheel moves a bit and creaks when pedalling.I think the square hole is worn as I have tried tightening the nut on the bottom bracket.What are my options -apart from chucking the bike ! Are parts available-perhaps an upgrade if cheap enough

Comments

• ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    I’m pretty sure but could be wrong, when the square is worn it will never tighten as will always become loose. But I could be wrong.
  • heres a pic of it
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    mandeep said:

i have a very old mtb and the chainwheel moves a bit and creaks when pedalling.I think the square hole is worn as I have tried tightening the nut on the bottom bracket.What are my options -apart from chucking the bike ! Are parts available-perhaps an upgrade if cheap enough

Hi Mandeep, no need to chuck the bike! the chain wheel will always creak if its not tight enough, clearly yours isnt tight enough because its moving.

This could be because either the spindle on the bottom bracket is worn or the crankset is damaged or both. you can buy a basic shimano three piece crankset for c£20 to £25 online and a bottom bracket for a tenner. £30 to replace the lot and half an hour of your time.

But before that, remove the cranks from the bike, clean everything, check for play in the bottom bracket. add a bit of grease and reinstall. you might find that sorts the problem out.
  • another check showed the square hole on the chainwheel was worn . i managed to get another one which works fine but has different teething which was weird at first but i'm starting to get used to it!