12 speed chainset

I'm getting the force axs groupset and trying to decide between the Advantages v Disadvantages of 46/33 48/35 chainset.
Any recommendations.

Comments

• Do you understand gear ratios? The question indicates you dont. There are no advantages or disadvantages. It what suits you.

Gear ratios are simple. Top gear is 46/10 that is 1 turn of the crank to 4.6 of the wheel and that gives with your rolling diameter you gear inches or you can calculate cadence at a particular speed.

Work out you max and min gear ratios on your current set up and then see which axs options suit you the best.

Your question is flawed as it is assume a right and wrong answer. That's not the case all there is gear ratios.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Horses for courses. I do understand gear ratios I worked in the bike trade for 12years.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    There is wisdom buried in cycleclinic’s reply but his bedside manner needs more work to bring up to current standards of patient-centred care.

Compare ratios with what you use currently and choose accordingly.

I’d go for the lower gears, but I don’t have your legs. I’d never use a 48x10
  • Maybe he didn't get a valentines card.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    If you are riding a compact at present then the 46/33 is closest. The 48/35 equates more to a 53/39 on an 11 speed conventional arrangement. There are a few more wrinkles to the new Sram set up but that is the gist of it.
  • I hold my wife's hand not anyone else's. I also dont like telling people what gearing they should choose. It something I believe we should work out for ourselves.

Also that 10t Sram cassette should come with a wallet warning.

"Use of the 10t sprocket will lighten your wallet".

If you think 11T sprockets wear out quickly just wait till you use a 10t. This means go for the bigger rings as you will use the larger sprockets Instead. Wearing out the 10tg sprocket is going to annoy alot of axs users.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • You're off your head.
  • phelim21
    phelim21 Posts: 49
    edited February 2020
    Sorry cycleclinic I forgot to send you a valentines card 😭🙈how many ppl actually use the 11t.
  • Well i kill of the 12t sprockets on my 12-27t and 12-29t campag cassettes before other sprockets get worn.

I tried a 9-36t on a 1x bike and the 9t sprocket wore out in a few hundred km and has ruined a £300 cassette.

This axs 12 speed is fine in theory but the 10t sprocket is unusable because if you do use it then you ruin a cassette. If you dont use it then you have wasted your money as your still using 11 speed in effect.

If your using a shimano 11 speed cassette and dont use the 11t sprocket then why exactly are you not using 10 speed. You might as well.

The way 12 speed is being used by Sram in particular and probably shimano when they release theres does not suit big ring small sprocket riders.

At least shimano 11 speed cassettes are cheap. Sram 12 speed cassette are not cheap. Just saying.

This I not me being cranky just blunt. Bluntness often get misunderstood and it shouldn't.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    As an added bonus, you waste power in every gear on the SRAM drivetrain, 6w at 250w in the 10t cog. That's huge.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/05/gear/gear-issue-friction-differences-between-1x-and-2x-drivetrains_493185
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702

Well i kill of the 12t sprockets on my 12-27t and 12-29t campag cassettes before other sprockets get worn.

I tried a 9-36t on a 1x bike and the 9t sprocket wore out in a few hundred km and has ruined a £300 cassette.

This axs 12 speed is fine in theory but the 10t sprocket is unusable because if you do use it then you ruin a cassette. If you dont use it then you have wasted your money as your still using 11 speed in effect.

If your using a shimano 11 speed cassette and dont use the 11t sprocket then why exactly are you not using 10 speed. You might as well.

The way 12 speed is being used by Sram in particular and probably shimano when they release theres does not suit big ring small sprocket riders.

At least shimano 11 speed cassettes are cheap. Sram 12 speed cassette are not cheap. Just saying.

This I not me being cranky just blunt. Bluntness often get misunderstood and it shouldn't.

This is all very dependent on your preferred cadence though. I like a cadence of 90-100. On my road bike with AXS, the highest gear is 48-10, and at my preferred cadence, that gives a speed of 55-60kph. It's useful to have the gear for when I can go that quickly (which will likely be a sustained downhill), but generally I'm not going to be using it very much. Even on my gravel bike, which has a 36t ring up front, using the 10t cog at my preferred cadence gives a speed of 41-45kph, which is quick enough that I rarely hit it off-road.

If you had a lower preferred cadence, you would use it a lot more. A cadence of 60rpm with the same gearing would be a much more common 36.5kph. If I had a preferred cadence that low (and I would guess that yours is a fair bit lower than mine from your reporting of destroying cassettes), I would certainly be looking at bigger chainrings to shift the range higher up the cassette. Horses for courses, basically.
  • timothyw said:

As an added bonus, you waste power in every gear on the SRAM drivetrain, 6w at 250w in the 10t cog. That's huge.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/05/gear/gear-issue-friction-differences-between-1x-and-2x-drivetrains_493185

However, they didn't test an AXS 1x or 2x system.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482

timothyw said:

However, they didn't test an AXS 1x or 2x system.
    Yet.

There is the story about Trek Segafredo running 54/41 chainrings which might suggest that they aren't keen on using the 10t cog:
    https://cyclingtips.com/2020/01/bigger-chainrings-for-trek-segafredo-but-not-for-the-usual-reasons/

Remains to be seen what Movistar and Trek settle on over the rest of the season.
  • The article quite rightly points out that the friction ‘issue’ means feck all to a normal rider.