Size chain to swap between 11-32 and 11-34?

Hi,

Just wondering is there any magic science to size a chain correctly to be able to swap between 11-32 and 11-34? Or is it as simple as making it long enough for the largest cog?

Thanks,
Larry

Comments

• Reason for asking, is I swap wheels depending on the conditions and would rather not need to swap cassettes out each time.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    edited February 2020
    Size a new chain to suit the 34 and you are good to go.

If it is an existing chain that suits the 32 then try it big cog (34)/big ring very gently on the tool stand to see if it works. Any hint of an issue and you need a longer chain.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Size a new chain to suit the 34 and you are good to go.

If it is an existing chain that suits the 32 then try it big cog (34)/big ring very gently on the tool stand to see if it works. Any hint of an issue and you need a longer chain.

Thanks PB. Existing chain is actually too short as it was sized for a 28. I have since upgraded the mech to a long cage to allow the larger cogs. I'll go with the 34 sizing.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I have a chain correctly sized for a 32 and swap to a 34 with no problem.
    I usually tweak the B screw.
  • http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chainlengthcalc.html says rounded result is 55 links for both sizes for my Cube with 415mm chain stays.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • paulbnix said:

I have a chain correctly sized for a 32 and swap to a 34 with no problem.
    I usually tweak the B screw.

That is good to know. My other bike is set for 32 already and it's nice to know that I could swap the wheels to that bike also.