thursday is dimensionless

'ning

soggy out there

coffee, webex, complicated thing, pancakes, early bail maybe
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Good fun bike ride last night, but shoot sleep.

WFH as projects are coming in thick and fast. Later should be swimming but I can’t be bothered
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, rain with a strong wind at the mo, it also looks like a way out this weekend as well
    Looks like indoor cycling again
    Have a good day
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    'ning
    Nice ish morning here. Standard day at work expected, battles with substandard software are on the cards. Gym later.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170

'ning
    Nice ish morning here. Standard day at work expected, battles with substandard software are on the cards. Gym later.

I know the substandard software feeling.

Hoofed down with rain about about 4AM so everythings wet, an was looking black out as I left the house. Walked in as weathers not looking to sharp today Dennis is due but I just remembered I put an order to go to one of those Amazon lockers, urgh I'll pick it up tonight.

Still feel crap lost all hearing one side an most the other so I can ignore people with a semi valid excuse today.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    oxoman said:

...Looks like some engineering software providers want to put machine and plant control code on the cloud...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKbP-M8vVtw
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thistle_
    oxoman said:

I've not come across a software system that profess,s to do everything you want that has EVER worked.

The problem is in my case that it's designed for a specific purpose but it can't even do that correctly - but we are forced to use it because the sales guys have convinced top management that it's cheaper and better than industry standard software which works.
  • step83
    oxoman said:

I've not come across a software system that profess,s to do everything you want that has EVER worked. Especially when it supposed to incorporate accounting, engineering, manufacturing, stores and procurement systems etc. Looks like some engineering software providers want to put machine and plant control code on the cloud. Frightening as a maintenance engineer expected to keep things running when systems fail.

Thankfully for me a lot of our software is "bespoke" as in we get them to make it do what we need, I know they are looking to move some of the manufacturing to cloud based but the risk is immense. That said the internal cloud network seems to be OK, makes recalling an sharing far easier, just cringe to think how big some of these files will be. But even in this cloudy floaty digital world we have some very staunch pen an paper people at work which causes some issues.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Influenced I think by listening to a recent episode of the Infinite Monkey Cage on quantum physics, my dilemma of the day is that if there a quantum superposition of simultaneously having a cold or not having a cold, how come I have another dose of the snots and the sore throat?

If there is an alternate universe where I don't have the snots again, why am I in this one?

Today will be do nada, zero, zilch, null apart from mope and maybe relisten to that IMC episode and see if my biological sciences engineered mind can untie some knots and, as Olivia N-J said, get physical.
  • step83
    oxoman said:

My problem is we've gone from wired machine and process control to PLC embedded systems on machines then network linked systems that work to some extent independently. Now a certain giant German company is looking to push cloud based systems where the control code will reside and if for whatever reason you lose connectivity then your process or machine is dead in the water. Open to all sorts of issues. I used to use bespoke software in the past and as you say prone to not being 100% and before it's gets there they bring a new platform out to generate more money and hassle. Previous companies I've worked for have used globe / sap software for all sites around the world and no one site has ever managed to get it to work correctly, constantly being updated. Personally I blame Bill Gates and Co, should have binned the technology at birth and resorted to paper and human memory which I believe is currently shrinking.

Ah, yeah there in is the problem with cloud, connectivity to said cloud must be constant and stable, outages will always cause problems mis matched data, failed syncs. lost data or systehms that just loose their marbles.
    I know for us we use OneDrive so it just makes temp copies of what your using then uploads so thats fine, if theres an outage it updates once it get reconnected to the cloud. The machine shop etc I know they still use hard networks. In fact a lot of the milling machines you have to upload the program/design so it effectively does not need to be networked, so save to local drive, select job, inset media, check blades fluids etc, press go. If you tried to cloud that it would be a nightmare. We actually had some power outages last night, only a few seconds, but it would have been enough to mess around with devices relying on a clouded store for work.

orraloon, have you considered your cold could be similar to the quantum theory that a particle only exists when you look at it, ergo if you don't look for a cold you won't have it until you look for it. That or quantum entanglement
  • orraloon
    Quantum entanglement? My brain hurts. As well as most else.
  • thistle_
    orraloon said:

Quantum entanglement? My brain hurts. As well as most else.

If your quantums are entangled it's no wonder it hurts.
  • orraloon
    oxoman said:

Orraloon you've not been near any Chinese people or on a cruise recently.

I had some noodles in a stirfry the other night. Life on the edge innit.
  • step83
    orraloon said:

oxoman said:

Any mystery meat?
  • orraloon
    step83 said:

orraloon said:

oxoman said:

Any mystery meat?
    Pure Soylent Green.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,475
    oxoman said:

Orraloon you've not been near any Chinese people or on a cruise recently. Sadly I'm suffering snots etc but have had to man up walk mutt, watch stuff off planner and keep posting on here and elsewhere. Currently munching through families chocolate supplies, OOPs I'm in trouble. Again.

Just heard that some girl in our office has a flatmate who has just come back from China and has been asked to stay at home for 14 days. Only slight problem is, the girl in question is in the office FFS...I'm sure grog kills bacteria so I'm off out soon to get some protection :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    'Tain't bacteria you need to be wary of, well not in the sense of the Chinese sourced thing, that's a virus. Though grog may be as effective against viruses as against bacteria. Test it and see.
  • step83
    I seem to remember reading somewhere they worked out you can kill the virus with alcohol, or heat

So heat, you need to heat yourself to 52c for at least an hour to kill it, an then kill you

Alcohol, you meed to give yourself acute alcohol poisoning, so you might die doing that.
  • Stevo_666
    I feel fine so it must work.

Based on this, tlw will be the equivalent of the bloke in 'I Am Legend' in a year or so :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    step83 said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere they worked out you can kill the virus with alcohol, or heat

So heat, you need to heat yourself to 52c for at least an hour to kill it, an then kill you

Alcohol, you meed to give yourself acute alcohol poisoning, so you might die doing that.

Sage advice.

I had a sauna today. I do have a bit of a cough but I have no cravings for Special fried rice, Chicken Chow Mein or Noodles.
    I think I survived 68 deg for roughly 20 mins. Does that make up for one hour at 52 deg c?

We're between Ciara and Dennis. Snow inland but nothing here - boo.
    I feel short changed.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    coughing and spluttering through the week so far, work colleagues letting me down,

but hops are medicinal, so drink lots of hoppy beers, chillies work too so mix it with a curry, job done :)
  • pinno
    awavey said:

but hops are medicinal, so drink lots of hoppy beers, chillies work too so mix it with a curry, job done :)

What could possibly go wrong?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Stevo_666 said:

I feel fine so it must work.

Based on this, tlw will be the equivalent of the bloke in 'I Am Legend' in a year or so :)

I’ve put in the ground work to deserve it
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    pinno said:

awavey said:

What could possibly go wrong?
    if it doesnt cure the cold, youll at least have had a good night out and if feeling hungover the next day at least it will take your mind off having the cold ;)
  • thistle_
    Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

Orraloon you've not been near any Chinese people or on a cruise recently. Sadly I'm suffering snots etc but have had to man up walk mutt, watch stuff off planner and keep posting on here and elsewhere. Currently munching through families chocolate supplies, OOPs I'm in trouble. Again.

Just heard that some girl in our office has a flatmate who has just come back from China and has been asked to stay at home for 14 days.
    An extra 2 week's holiday? Sounds great to me why did she turn that down?

Tried to enter Sunday's race earlier but the website seemed to have been hacked so they aren't getting my details. It's either a hint not to bother, or time for plan B.
  • step83

Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

Just heard that some girl in our office has a flatmate who has just come back from China and has been asked to stay at home for 14 days.

Tried to enter Sunday's race earlier but the website seemed to have been hacked so they aren't getting my details. It's either a hint not to bother, or time for plan B.
    Would self enforced quarantine still allow for solo rides? Turbo would get mighty dull mighty quick otherwise.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

She'd still have to work from home. TBH I'd prefer it if she did!
  • pinno
    step83 said:

Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

Would self enforced quarantine still allow for solo rides? Turbo would get mighty dull mighty quick otherwise.
    They're dull all the time, no? Just a means to an end.