wow for Pidcock
1 VAN DER POEL Mathieu NED 1'08'52
2 PIDCOCK Thomas GBR + 1'20
3 AERTS Toon BEL + 1'45
4 VAN AERT Wout BEL + 2'04

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    MvdP godlike per usual. Strong comeback for WVA.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Good race despite the uninspiring setting.

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

Good race despite the uninspiring setting.

i think the biggest problem cross faces is the number of races that look like a school sports day
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,233
    gsk82 said:

i think the biggest problem cross faces is the number of races that look like a school sports day
    It feels exceptionally contrived.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    gsk82 said:

Much as I'm a fan of the sport - far too many races are held on flat, farmers fields/ parks; most of which are pretty uninspiring. The only elevation changes tend to be from man made bridges, as was the case over the weekend.
    I'd like to see more courses with natural elevation changes, and maybe more hilly venues.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Given the heartlands of the sport are in Flanders, what do you expect the courses to look like?
  • gsk82
    edited February 2020
    andyp said:

Given the heartlands of the sport are in Flanders, what do you expect the courses to look like?

They could just do crits based on the famous cobbles. Like i imagine koppenbergcross is. I've never seen it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,233
    It's a shame they're not end-to-end, but then presumably most of the revenue comes from ticket sales.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Wont Van Aert won the DVV in Lille today beating the best of the rest as MVP wasn’t racing, he looked like he was getting back to his best.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Tabor, Czech Republic finals come to mind - not such a 'contrived course'.
    MvdP has one helluva career in front of him if all goes well.
    Primed for a long string of classics.
    Perhaps Pidcock sees an opening now?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Tom rode an incredible race. Just like last year in the u23 - used his noggin and stuck it to the Belgians big time. Note that he's still only 20
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    edited February 2020
    Surprised nobody has posted this yet, behind the scenes with Trinity riders Pidcock and Cameron Mason (8th in the u23)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2YRDTnjrFE
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pinno
    Cheers for that NTD.
    Why did the Belgians get pride of place at the start line? Who decides the start position?
  • gsk82
    pinno said:

Cheers for that NTD.
    Why did the Belgians get pride of place at the start line? Who decides the start position?

Its linked to rankings or world cup points or something
  • andyp
    pinno said:

Cheers for that NTD.

It's based on the UCI rankings. Belgium have 5 riders in the top 8, all of whom were selected, hence why they dominated the front row.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Surprised nobody has posted this yet, behind the scenes with Trinity riders Pidcock and Cameron Mason (8th in the u23)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2YRDTnjrFE

Awesome that, cheers
  • pinno
    andyp said:

pinno said:

Cheers for that NTD.

It's based on the UCI rankings. Belgium have 5 riders in the top 8, all of whom were selected, hence why they dominated the front row.
    A bit like massed starts in MTB racing. If you were in the form of your life and capable of winning it but sitting 6 rows back, the odds would be against you.
    But I don't know what any alternative would be.
  • andyp
    I think Wout Van Aert started on the third row and finished fourth, so it doesn't hugely handicap the lower ranked riders in the elite categories, especially given the relatively small size of the fields in those two races.
  • andyrac
    The grids for next seasons World Cup have been altered; it's seemingly complicated, but, as I understand it, one of the new regs is as follows;
    Riders ranked in the top 50 in MTB XC and/or Road get a slot on the 4th row, unless they're already ranked higher up.
    Presumably to attract riders who wouldn't bother as they'd start right at the back.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyp
    Interesting article in the mainstream press on Pidcock;

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2020/feb/16/tom-pidcock-cyclo-cross
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    edited February 2020
    andyp said:

Interesting article in the mainstream press on Pidcock;

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2020/feb/16/tom-pidcock-cyclo-cross

They couldn’t pass up a chance to shoehorn a (mech) doping smear into an otherwise interesting article. Why choose Canc when they could of gone with (the only known?) case, in CX?
  • andyrac
    edited February 2020