Tan sidewall tyres longevity - disc v rim brakes

bianchi_dave
bianchi_dave Posts: 847
edited February 2020 in Road general
I know they won't stay looking great as long as a black tyre, but what are folks' experiences with keeping tan sidewalls clean?
I currently have a set of Vittoria Corsa G2s on my disc braked bike (which gets used in all weathers bar salty roads).
Best bike has rim brakes and is running full carbon rims with Wheelsmith blue pads.
Question is, on which bike would the tyres stay looking new the longest? - the disc brake as there's no brake dust at the rim, but its out in crap weather, or the rim brake as the best bike only sees dry roads, but the rim brake dust may contaminate the sidewall?
A first world problem!
Scott Addict RC
Scott Foil Premium
Trek Emonda Disc
Scott Solace 10

Comments

• Lord have mercy
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I think you're in the best place to answer that question @bianchi_dave - just take some photos now and then in a month or two do a comparison.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    If you keep on top of cleaning, they last well enough but usually dull after a while, there are some specific cleaners that claim to remove the grime but I never had much success.
  • bondurant said:

Lord have mercy

Helpful post. I'm just asking a question to gauge other folks experiences. If you've nothing to contribute don't bother posting, or even opening the thread. There's plenty threads on here I may feel the same about, but I keep my thoughts to myself, unless I can add to the discussion.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    edited February 2020
    singleton said:

I think you're in the best place to answer that question @bianchi_dave - just take some photos now and then in a month or two do a comparison.

I just have the one set of tan walls, which are currently on the disc bike. The rear tyre was getting quite grimy and I cleaned it with a magic eraser which removed most of it, but not all.
    I know clean tan walls don't last long on rim brake bikes, due to the rubber and aluminium dust coming off the rim, especially in the wet. I'm just wondering if they'd stay cleaner for longer with carbon brake tracks on a bike only used in the dry
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    This is what I have been using, not just for tan walls but seems to lift a noticable amount of grime.

https://www.crankalicious.com/products/like-pneu

Re the carbon rims, I have Corsa G's on a my Reynolds Strikes with the cryotech pads, I don't notice any dust but I tend to avoid taking them out in the wet mainly due to the poor braking.
    That said I did about 3K on them an the still look like new but they are currently hung up in the garage so not really going to be getting mucky.
  • step83 said:

This is what I have been using, not just for tan walls but seems to lift a noticable amount of grime.

https://www.crankalicious.com/products/like-pneu

Re the carbon rims, I have Corsa G's on a my Reynolds Strikes with the cryotech pads, I don't notice any dust but I tend to avoid taking them out in the wet mainly due to the poor braking.
    That said I did about 3K on them an the still look like new but they are currently hung up in the garage so not really going to be getting mucky.

Thanks. I'm into car detailing so have a few products lying around, its just making sure that a product is safe for use on gum walls. I'll give that stuff a go, cheers
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    My tanwalls stayed clean on my disc brake bike over autumn until I fitted the mudguards, at which point they (and the rims) became utterly coated in filth.

So yeah, if you want them nice, use them with disc brakes in the dry...
  • There cotton tanwalls (pale) and the darker kind which ha e been left baking in the sun too long. Cotton tanwalls pick up black grime more easily.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk