Ride London 2020, I’m In.

Got the ballot results envelope today and I’m in for 2020, after many years of trying this is the first time. I always entered previously just to see if I would get a ride so kind of pleased I have but after reading and hearing all the negatives of it I’m not sure I want to do anymore. Might defer until 2021.

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    It may not happen in Surrey on the existing (or similar) routes after this year. There are licences to be reviewed and Surrey CC have been consulting on this.

If you do want to do the existing route then this is the year to do it, just in case.

There are definitely negatives but it's the only (that I know of) opportunity for amateur riders to do a fully closed road sportive in and around London. The crowds and support are spectacular.

It is absolutely worth doing once.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    i got through a few year ago but couldn't make the weekend was going to defer it till i read that you still had to pay for that year and the next year as well, so give it up i did apply this year as well so will see if i get some notification as well this week
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    The closed roads in London are the best part of it. I can ride Surrey type hills all year round. I said I wouldn't do it again after my one go in 2015, but I'll look again if they change the route significantly.
    My boss will be pleased if they stop shutting her road for the day, as she has no interest in watching mamils like me struggle past her door for hours on end.
  • A lad I rode with two years ago has got in, I'll wait until I get home to see if the envelope has dropped through the letterbox.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Got the commiserations magazine through the post. That’s now 1 successful application in 7 attempts.
  • I didn’t realise it was that hard to get in. I applied in about May of 2018 through a friend and the Haemophilia Society and got a place for that years event.
    I cancelled my place because we booked a last minute holiday.
  • Recieved a place in the Ballot myself today. Had recieved one a couple of years ago but couldn't do it in the end and chose against deferring it.

2nd place in three attempts. Most likely will only do it the once myself.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Longshot said:

The crowds and support are spectacular.

It is absolutely worth doing once.

This. Got in 2015, 5 successive fails since - but that year was lovely. And the crowds are epic.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    fat_cat said:

Got the commiserations magazine through the post. That’s now 1 successful application in 7 attempts.

1 in 6

I see from the website, there's some sort of issue with the results going out - a colleague of mine who entered hasn't heard.

• Longshot
    There are other ways to get - I've ridden it 5 times now and only got through the ballot twice.

Look on the Entries page for the section about 'Ride Together'. It's not confirmed yet but if you email as requested they may bring it back. I did this last year when it was sponsored by Amstel with 3 other guys having failed to get a ballot place.

Speak to them about Corporate team entries - they have always had an entry route for these every year so far. We fudged it a bit and, when I did it, only one of us worked for the company it was booked under.
  • secretsam
    Longshot said:

There are other ways to get - I've ridden it 5 times now and only got through the ballot twice.

Look on the Entries page for the section about 'Ride Together'. It's not confirmed yet but if you email as requested they may bring it back. I did this last year when it was sponsored by Amstel with 3 other guys having failed to get a ballot place.

Speak to them about Corporate team entries - they have always had an entry route for these every year so far. We fudged it a bit and, when I did it, only one of us worked for the company it was booked under.

I recall I asked about Corporate teams, but there wasn't that option this year?

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I failed to get a place, I apply just in case but I'm only half fussed. I live far enough from London that its an expensive PITA to do. I've done it before, so its a box ticked, but I'm not going down the charity route now.
    For those going for a place - good luck. Its a great day out.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • every year I've applied... every year a failure.... FFS
  • I've done Ride London twice now.

Positives:

Being able to ride though London on closed roads is an amazing experience.
    Most of the riders are very friendly.
    Having spectators cheer you on makes you feel like a pro :-)
    Very well organised
    Good route plus a few challenging hills (Leith and Box Hill)
    Good average speed being able to ride in a large bunch

Negatives:

Having to be at the start mega early.
    Too many riders make hold up pretty likely. First year I did was great, 2nd year they upped the numbers by 5000. Was a bloody nightmare. Think i walked for about an hour in SPD SLs.
    Strava w*nkers only focusing on setting a fast time riding riding dangerously.
    People with 10k bikes and top of the range kit, riding like inconsiderate idiots.
    Riders stopping in the middle of the road when a slight hill comes up.
    Rubbish rough roads in Surrey.

Would i do it again? Not sure.

Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • It's all about getting as early a start time as possible to avoid the bottlenecks at the hills and also the the riders jumping off their bikes as soon as the gradient goes above 3%.

I'm 1 in 6 as well with Ride London, it'd be nice to do it again but I'm not too fussed. No chance of doing a charity ride as no one will sponsor me due to them all knowing that I ride that kind of distance regularly!
  • 4th year in the row that I get the commiserations magazine (not very green). Have been lucky twice before, but only when I entered whilst working overseas. Had a little search and can find no data on the criteria for the ballot selection, the results v's the criteria or indeed how many of the total places are actually allocated through the ballot. Only criteria per faq is that we all get around in under 8 1/2 hrs, which I have achieved by some margin, twice!!! Any insights?
  • 4th year in the row that I get the commiserations magazine (not very green). Have been lucky twice before, but only when I entered whilst working overseas. Had a little search and can find no data on the criteria for the ballot selection, the results v's the criteria or indeed how many of the total places are actually allocated through the ballot. Only criteria per faq is that we all get around in under 8 1/2 hrs, which I have achieved by some margin, twice!!! Any insights?

All the female riders I know have a greater success rate of getting an entry in my experience. I feel that the Ride London organisers try to encourage a diverse group of riders by prioritising female riders as well as riders from a range of speeds and backgrounds.

I think they don't want Ride London to be perceived as one big MAMILfest chaingang which some people already view it as.
  • I am fully supportive of diversity, my aim is to do it again with my sister in law as it would be her first time, however she has never been successful in the ballot either, hence wondering how many places are actually through the ballot.
  • Never got a place in the London Marathon ballot (12 rejections) but have had three successes in this and did the very first one on a charity bond. At £79 though, I'm wondering whether to bother this year.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    well I got in, but my friend (also a she) didnt, which means Ill end up withdrawing anyway as Id only entered the ballot again after Id tried few times when it first started and failed, because we were both going to do it together, so i dont know where that leaves us on the diversity thing :)
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Well I’ve decided to take part. I’ve paid the entry fee and booked a hotel nearby for the Saturday night. I always try to do a biggish or different Sportive each year, did the French Revolution ride in 2019 that I enjoyed.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    7 rejections out of 8 now for me.

The one year I was successful, I later found out I was having to spend some time abroad with work so had to forfeit. I did ride the first year, but only after failing the ballot and winning a raffle for a place from Wiggle, who were a main sponsor then.

Given what's being discussed about weighting of the ballot, I'm pretty sure this year I chose something like "Prefer not to say" for ethnicity, just to test that. I think maybe next year will just have to full on try as a woman and see where that gets me!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    This could be the last year as Prudential are pulling out.

It's an event to do once, but it is expensive and you get virtually nothing for your money other than the closed roads. I think it is really poorly organised - they have never managed to get the whole field around the full 100 mile course. They mix good cyclists with the charity riders which is dangerous. There are too many folks trying for a sub 4.30 100 miler mixed in with the 8 hour charity riders. There are too many people with no idea how to ride in a group or close to other riders. The Leith Hill descent is dangerous due to the surface and volume of riders. Fundamentally there are too many entrants and the organisers (London Marathon) haven't understood the differences between running and cycling events.

That said, the run back into London is fun, especially once you hit the Embankment and head towards Parliament Square, Whitehall and the Mall. An early start is also essential.

I've done it twice, but never again, and the contrast with the organisation of events like the Eape du Ttour is simply huge.

Good luck to those with entries and enjoy your day!

• parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    i didn't get in got my email through so i've had one successful but couldn't do and one rejected but looking at the date i wouldn't be able to do it anyways now.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    No joy for me this year, so I'm 1/2. Would love to get another run at it and try to have a clean run after last years early punctures and lack of support after exhausting my supply of tubes.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I got the commiserations magazine this year even though I didn't actually apply.

Applied last year & got the same.

Would like to do it 1 day but not overly fussed.
  • Longshot
    Interestingly, for those of you who lost out, the Velo series guys emailed last night about a 100 mile closed road event on September 20th in Essex. At least the route would be different.
  • secretsam
    Longshot said:

Interestingly, for those of you who lost out, the Velo series guys emailed last night about a 100 mile closed road event on September 20th in Essex. At least the route would be different.

...and flat. Very flat.

• Longshot
    secretsam said:

Longshot said:

...and flat. Very flat.
    1200m ascent over 100 miles so not much different to the stated numbers for RideLondon.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I have an entry this year through the ballot for the first time (tried every year to date) so looking forward to it just for the experience.

Not sure whether to do Velo Essex as well. As a Chelmsford resident, slightly off paying £80 to ride on roads I do every week, but on the other hand, it's a big event on my doorstep and there will be upheaval to my normal Sunday so why not...

Contrary to popular belief, Essex is not as flat as Norfolk, I tend to average 500ft climbing per 10 miles for most rides. The Velo Essex route doesn't really go up any notable hills like Leith Hill or Box Hill but it does roll more than you might expect, particularly the bits north of Finchingfield.