monday's internal momenta are undetermined

'ning

lazy start, cafe, webex, then off to euroland, lounge in lounge until train time, hope the wine trolley is prompt
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, rain sleet and strong winds again, I’m pleased I have some decorating to do
    Have a good day, be careful outside
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    edited February 2020
    Had put off cycling in this morning as it was forecast to still have strong winds today. Nothing of the bloody sort - and clear skies. Hmph. Tomorrow it is then.

Work will involve dealing with a tw@t on the continent who has been ignoring our requests for long enough then chucked his toys out of the pram when we copied people in to show up his bad attitude and incompetence.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'ning
    Lovely weather here, bit of a breeze and clear blue skies. I suspect the wind will pick up again during the day.
    No bike for me today either as it's hard enough bunny hopping potholes/small dogs so the odd tree might be asking a bit much.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    WFH which is nice for a Monday. Later we are off to see Adam hills - should be good
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, electric came back on around 10PM. Still quite blustery decided to walk in similar to Thistle, to much debris about need a few days for it to go away.
    Only bonus was the morning dog walk, Ella must have thought she was in heaven the about of branches to choose from.
    Todays plan mainly involves me on the phone to companies about why their software doesn't appear to work properly. Should be interesting.
  • Partner's cousin arrived last evening for a 10 day visit. Lovely woman really, but could talk underwater with a mouthful of marbles, and a lot of it makes little to no sense to us at all, although apparently it should.

Add in that she's spectacularly gullible when it comes to internet conspiracy theories and I suspect the next week or so will be a challenge. I escaped to the relative serenity of the tractor mower at full noise sans earmuffs for a couple of hours at least.

Drinks were early and frequent this evening as a result.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    wine trolley has delivered

just noticed tony robinson sitting across the aisle with cameraman and eurominder, if i end up in shot i'm the one wearing a hawaiian shirt
  • Stevo_666
    step83 said:

Morning, electric came back on around 10PM. Still quite blustery decided to walk in similar to Thistle, to much debris about need a few days for it to go away.
    Only bonus was the morning dog walk, Ella must have thought she was in heaven the about of branches to choose from.

It was stick city in the park yesterday afternoon for us. Junior hound tried his luck dragging bits of branches that were clearly way too big for him while senior hound got a shock when a falling stick whacked him on the tail.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Back to the grind after a week in the Tyrol. It rained, snowed, sunshined and blew gales, all except the firs were expected.

Next one needs to be at higher altitude me thinks.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • step83
    Stevo_666 said:

step83 said:

It was stick city in the park yesterday afternoon for us. Junior hound tried his luck dragging bits of branches that were clearly way too big for him while senior hound got a shock when a falling stick whacked him on the tail.
    Not just mine then, shes small but very thickly set but you have to question their thinking when they try lugging a branch they can barely get their jaws round.
    Gave her a chunk of Beech which she proudly brought home then dropped on my foot.

Office is a buzz of activity now the new Merc has dropped, people thinking it was the actual 2020 car, turns out its not.
  • Stevo_666
    step83 said:

Office is a buzz of activity now the new Merc has dropped, people thinking it was the actual 2020 car, turns out its not.

What's that then, a prototype of the new C class?
  • Stevo_666

Back to the grind after a week in the Tyrol. It rained, snowed, sunshined and blew gales, all except the firs were expected.

Decent skiing?
  • step83
    Stevo_666 said:

step83 said:

What's that then, a prototype of the new C class?
    No the new F1 car, merc threw some images online of the new livery, looks like a mid season spec car with late season front wing. shows the sponsors more clearly, all boring.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Back to the grind after a week in the Tyrol. It rained, snowed, sunshined and blew gales, all except the firs were expected.

Decent skiing?
    It was OK but as I said one day (Monday) we had rain so had to stay on the very highest lifts, the next two brought much colder temps and wind so they closed 80% of the mountain meaning everyone who dared to venture out was packed into a much smaller area. Thursday and Friday were very good days though however it was a very icy snow pack.

One thing I did learn from watching Ski Sunday last night is that at lower altitude snow absorbs more moisture meaning lower resorts tend to suffer with bad snow if it warms, Kitzbuhel being at 760m did just that.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Stevo_666 said:

Had put off cycling in this morning as it was forecast to still have strong winds today. Nothing of the bloody sort - and clear skies. Hmph.

Lightweight. I thought with the parks being shut the traffic would be bad enough to warrant cycling, traffic was bad and the wind made it harder work than normal. But I didn't get blown off.
    I went to Kitzbuhel many years ago, the ski guide took us up to just below the start of the Hahnenkam. Fook me that's steep! With powder snow on it and just riding across it we could barely stay upright. People laughed at the Bell brothers for being a bit rubbish, but they came out of that start gate and pushed off down an almost vertical wall of sheet ice. Bigger cojones than me by a very large factor.
  • The Strief isn't that bad to be honest, at least not at the speed your average holiday skier skis at.

It was bad when we went though which was one week after race day when they inject the pack with water so it freezes overnight to form a very hard icy surface so it doesn't get cut up by the racers. Plus the resort have at least two warm/freeze cycles to contend with.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Decent skiing?
    It was OK but as I said one day (Monday) we had rain so had to stay on the very highest lifts, the next two brought much colder temps and wind so they closed 80% of the mountain meaning everyone who dared to venture out was packed into a much smaller area. Thursday and Friday were very good days though however it was a very icy snow pack.

One thing I did learn from watching Ski Sunday last night is that at lower altitude snow absorbs more moisture meaning lower resorts tend to suffer with bad snow if it warms, Kitzbuhel being at 760m did just that.
    I've always avoided low altitude resorts like the plague, especially as we used to do a lot of early or late season stuff. Even before anyone knew about Global warming you could have a crap ski holiday by going low.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    sungod said:

...i'm the one wearing a hawaiian shirt

Nice try SG.

Rough here - wind, rain, sleet, snow and no signs of easing.

The cat is not amused. He's even less amused because I chucked the mangled remains of a mouse in the wood burner.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    pinno said:

sungod said:

The cat is not amused. He's even less amused because I chucked the mangled remains of a mouse in the wood burner.

Trying to teach him that us
    civilised animals prefer their meat cooked?
  • Stevo_666

pinno said:

sungod said:

I hear SG likes steak tartare.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Had put off cycling in this morning as it was forecast to still have strong winds today. Nothing of the bloody sort - and clear skies. Hmph.

Lightweight. I thought with the parks being shut the traffic would be bad enough to warrant cycling, traffic was bad and the wind made it harder work than normal. But I didn't get blown off.
    Glad I didn't as it was biblical rain on the way back. Will have a breezy pedal tomorrow.
  • tlw1
    We had ferkin snow earlier - lots of fun in the eco car
  • sungod
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

sungod said:

raw is best, otherwise one can't taste the blood
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

sungod said:

raw is best, otherwise one can't taste the blood
    I used to like the stuff, but have been less keen after an unscheduled pit stop in a Parisian 'squat thrust' toilet following what appeared to be a nice steak tartare.
  • sungod
    incubation time for food poisoning can be days, unless the tartare was all you ate in that time there seems little basis for establishing causal relationship

maybe you ate some salad, that raw veg is really high risk
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

incubation time for food poisoning can be days, unless the tartare was all you ate in that time there seems little basis for establishing causal relationship

T'was the day after as I recall. I also managed to miss a Eurostar home on account of some dodgy shellfish in a separate incident.

Salad? Come on...
  • tlw1
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

T'was the day after as I recall. I also managed to miss a Eurostar home on account of some dodgy shellfish in a separate incident.

Salad? Come on...
    Salad is the marketing of food, looks pretty but adds absolutely nothing of value
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    edited February 2020
    Is this a cycling forum?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    pinno said:

Is this a cycling forum?

Yep, as is the mountain bike side
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    sungod said:

I think that very much depends on the type of bacteria present, Ive certainly experienced it myself, and seen it happen to friends, just within hours of eating food that wasnt cooked or prepared properly.

but it was always the idea of potential parasites not the bacteria that put me off steak tartare :s