Road Disc Rotors

Thinking 160mm.

Do ice tech melt and cause death?

Do cheap rotors cause overheating and death?

There doesn't seem to be much info around

Any suggestions?

Also if anyone has the ultegra ice techs with fins - do you get oxidisation on the fins?

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

No

Also if anyone has the ultegra ice techs with fins - do you get oxidisation on the fins?

Yes. They are made from aluminium so you get an aluminium oxide layer on them.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I slapped some SLX RT68 140mm, not had any issues. Cheap enough an work.
    Waiting for the upcoming hope floating centerlocks to appear then go up to 160mm, 140 is OK but felt a bit weak when I did rode with panniers.
  • wongataa said:

No

Yes. They are made from aluminium so you get an aluminium oxide layer on them.
    Hmmm I think the latter may mean I go for dura ace. They do look quite nice.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Not sure what mine are, they look like the RT66 - no fins, not floating. Work absolutely fine.

They get hot after continuous, hard braking on big descents but not had any brake fade and I haven't branded my leg or set anything on fire.

I ditched the stock finned pads too when they wore out.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    I put on IceTech 160 front / 140 rear 2 years back, much much better stopping performance than those which came with bike, which I can't quite remember without going out to the pit and digging out the bits box, but think they were some Hope version. No issues whatsoever since.
  • Just an update FYI

Bought the Dura Ace 160mm discs. Probs overkill but they look great (IMO). With ultegra hydro shifters/flat mounts they stop well, modulation is lovely compared with ultegra rim brakes and I haven't had much squeal from them.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Shame.
    I've got some basically brand new ultegra ones for sale!

Although I'd go for the DA ones just based on the internals being black