The Friday night christ i'm f.ucking bored thread...

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pinno said:

I wish I did have an Austin 7, be worth a few bob.
    Flogged my car 6(?)years ago, should've done it sooner.£500 road tax, £350 insurance, stamp in service book etc to do next to FA mileage. Taxi would have been cheaper.
    Wife has a 3 pot 1000cc Fiesta. Good for 120+mph and lots of mpg. If I said we manage 6k miles a year I would probably be overstating it.

£500 road tax? My Porker isn't even that much. What did you drive citizen Bally, a tank?

I had a thing for Jaguar XJs. Had my first one in the 80s and got rid of my last one 6 years ago.
    My first one was the most stylish imo, a Series III XJ6 4.2. Lovely looking car.
  • ballysmate
    When the kids were little we brought a touring caravan. Twin axle jobby.
    I could swear I could see the petrol gauge moving as we drove along. 16ft car, 23 ft caravan - was like driving a Seddon Atkinson :D
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399

pinno said:

Flogged my car 6(?)years ago, should've done it sooner.£500 road tax, £350 insurance, stamp in service book etc to do next to FA mileage. Taxi would have been cheaper.
    Wife has a 3 pot 1000cc Fiesta. Good for 120+mph and lots of mpg. If I said we manage 6k miles a year I would probably be overstating it.

£500 road tax? My Porker isn't even that much. What did you drive citizen Bally, a tank?

I had a thing for Jaguar XJs. Had my first one in the 80s and got rid of my last one 6 years ago.
    My first one was the most stylish imo, a Series III XJ6 4.2. Lovely looking car.
    Corr V12
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,319
    edited February 2020
    'Seddon Atkinson' lol

That Jag was as big as the camper shurely?

Jaguar as a Marque sold out IMHO. What a history all gone. It would be in the league of Aston Martin etc with a sophisticated range of V6 and V8's. (Although, even one of the recent AM's has a BMW engine. FFS).

I have a picture of my Dad changing Stirling Moss's wheel at Silverstone in their last year before withdrawing from racing till '85..
    He did his apprenticeship in Coventry.
    Then opened the first Jaguar distributor in East Africa along with 2 other apprentices: Campbell and Walker. They went bust after 5 years! Just when the 'nutters' went t1ts up. remember them?
    He wrote off an Aluminium body shell XK140 and chuckled when Southeby's sold one in 1990 for £240k.

According to him, Moss never won Le Mans because Moss was in the British league of bad drivers, including Mansell. They were good drivers but lacked mechanical sympathy. Unlike Clarke, Stewart and a few others.
    Almost guaranteed, Moss would have to be rescued at the side of the road on the way to where ever they were at a race meet. Blown engine's, clutches, boxes etc.

I talked to David Vizard who raced against Mansell in the 1600cc super stox leagues up and down the country. Mansell either finished in the top 3 or blew up/crashed. Mansell was one of the few F1 drivers who came through despite never really excelling in Kart racing. One mention of Mansell to Vizard and he spits feathers - the anger is the fact that many other drivers who were far better than Mansell never got through and that Mansell was the darling of the press but 'couldn't drive a horse cart'.
    He admired Senna. and Prost - the ability to finish race after race and still race to win. Their ability to drive fast with mechanical sympathy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiV6hMZdqMA

15 years in F1 and only won 1 WC.

Vizard wrote huge manuals on Porting and cylinder heads. Great guy - amazing engine building facility in Croydon.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,455
    pinno said:

£325 mine. Phew. Service is due. Although I can do a lot of things on it, I can't seem to forge the Porsche stamp.

At least I save on the MOT and the service is already paid for. Get a new drivers seat later this month as well as the seat leather was a wee bit slack. Nothing to do with my fat arris I might add.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

£325 mine. Phew. Service is due. Although I can do a lot of things on it, I can't seem to forge the Porsche stamp.

At least I save on the MOT and the service is already paid for. Get a new drivers seat later this month as well as the seat leather was a wee bit slack. Nothing to do with my fat arris I might add.

German craftsmanship?
  • Stevo_666

pinno said:

Jeremy Clarkson has you sussed Bally :)
    https://youtu.be/7eWIrBOc3zE
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

... as the seat leather was a wee bit slack.

You know you should have bought a car from Stuttgart.

• ballysmate
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Remember it well.
    Cad? I've been called worse.
  • Stevo_666
    edited February 2020
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

... as the seat leather was a wee bit slack.

You know you should have bought a car from Stuttgart.

But I'm not trying to compensate for anything ;)

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Remember it well.
    Cad? I've been called worse.
    It's a bit old fashioned. Misogynist or bigot are far more modern.
  • ballysmate
    Do you reckon he thinks me a bit of a bounder?
  • Stevo_666

Well you are the Terry Thomas of Cake Stop.
  • ballysmate
    Was my avatar til I changed to Basil as a nod to Pinno, the Chinese Ambassador, I think he styled himself IIRC.
  • ballysmate
    Stevo_666 said:

Was he super woke as well?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Was he super woke as well?
    Maybe he belonged to the Woke Association of National Cyclists And Remainers?
  • ballysmate
    pinno said:

'Seddon Atkinson' lol

Jaguar as a Marque sold out IMHO. What a history all gone. It would be in the league of Aston Martin etc with a sophisticated range of V6 and V8's. (Although, even one of the recent AM's has a BMW engine. FFS).

I have a picture of my Dad changing Stirling Moss's wheel at Silverstone in their last year before withdrawing from racing till '85..
    Then opened the first Jaguar distributor in East Africa along with 2 other apprentices: Campbell and Walker. They went bust after 5 years! Just when the 'nutters' went t1ts up. remember them?
    He wrote off an Aluminium body shell XK140 and chuckled when Southeby's sold one in 1990 for £240k.

From what you have written on here in the past, your upbringing was certainly interesting.
    Kudos for a life lived.

• pinno

pinno said:

'Seddon Atkinson' lol

From what you have written on here in the past, your upbringing was certainly interesting.
    Kudos for a life lived.

I cannot claim that this life lived was by my design.
    My father's time at Jaguar etc was before I was born and I only met with David Vizard when i went with a mate to Croydon to pick up a 1700 cross flow engine built in Vizard's workshop.

If you want quick, a Dutton or Caterham is sh*t off a shovel for peanuts.

But yes, I have had an extra ordinary life. Most of it unbelievable.
    I'd write a book but i'm not famous. It used to be that you would write a book and then you got famous. Now, it's the other way around.
    Someone told me (John Voos at the Independent), perhaps you need to do a low level crime, do some time, write your book in prison and use it that as a launch basis.
  • Stevo_666
    Evening Wasters, getting ready for the Scouserpool trip so early doors for us. Got my body belt, body armour and a zombie knife. What else should I pack?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Shell suit, mop top wig, eh eh eh, calm down calm down
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Shell suit, mop top wig, eh eh eh, calm down calm down

And stick on handlebar 'tache...

• pinno
    Who's in da house?
  • orraloon
    Nobody going out so... everyone?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,734
    Netflix etc are going to be very busy. I'm going to be self medicating hot toddies.
    I'm not ill, just a good excuse. Can't be too careful. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    Well, you'd think so.
    However, a herd of stampeding wild elephants wouldn't keep @tlw1 from the pub.
    @ballysmate is a bit of shy fox these days.
    @Stevo_666 is probably been summoned by BoJo in the light of recent events.
    @hopkinb been lost to the communters.
    @awavey 's presence is transient.

Did you see what I did there? :)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    pinno said:

Well, you'd think so.

Not in pub, watching Pineapple Express (drinking wine)
  • pinno
    SG's favourite film.
  • Stevo_666
    Just finished dinner. Self isolating with plonk.
  • orraloon
    1x Sauv B down; watching Girls In A Band music docu on iPlayer. Some good memories - Girls School and Motorhead anyone?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    pinno said:

Well, you'd think so.

well I popped out for a few drinks earlier but Im back now :p