Do team Ineos riders crash more often?

zest28
zest28 Posts: 403
edited February 2020 in Pro race
Last year Egan crashed and had to change his plans. Lucky for him it lead to winning Tour de France.

Geriant also crashed last year and had to change his race preparation for the Tour de France.

Froome also crashed and was out for the rest of the season.

And now Egan crashed at 70kph.

Does anyone have statistics if Team Sky / Ineos riders crash more often?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    All riders crash.
    Riders change teams pretty often. Do you think that riders suddenly stop crashing when they put another jersey on ?
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    I do not remember Lance Armstrong missing a Tour de France due to a crash though?
  • fenix
    That's one rider. Plenty of others have crashed out.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    zest28 said:

I do not remember Lance Armstrong missing a Tour de France due to a crash though?

he broke his collarbone on the comeback though. Plus he did fall off a few times too.

No they dont crash any more than any other team
  • It's only because it's reported more as it is most prominent team and even people who are cycling fans have heard of the them.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    For questions like this, you either have the stats or you don't.

That aside, I'll try and answer your question without the stats.

I would hazard a guess that you tend to see their crashes more often because a) they're a higher profile team (doubly so because you're anglo and they're an anglo team, so they get 10x the coverage any non-english speaking teams get) and b) because of the way they tend to race, which is usually on or near the front of any peloton, they tend to crash in front of the cameras.

No-one tends to remember if the 1km to go lead out man from cofidis crashes at 80km to go.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    zest28 said:

He was on anti-crash drugs.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rick_chasey
    zest28 said:

Helps that he only really raced the Dauphine beforehand, and usually at a level so much higher than everyone else that he very rarely had a rider either side of him who wasn't USP.
  • No bike riders ever crash apart from Ineos/Sky riders. This is known fact.

Nobody.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited February 2020
    I notice both Bernal and Sosa crashed in the Colombian nationals on fast right hand bends. Whether this is ropey technique or substandard tyres, or even just bad luck who knows. But others got around at pace just fine.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Wasn't there an article last year which reported numerous (older) riders complaining that the pro peloton has become far more dangerous today with the style of younger riders and the tactics which has developed in teams?

• rick_chasey
    redvision said:

Wasn't there an article last year which reported numerous (older) riders complaining that the pro peloton has become far more dangerous today with the style of younger riders and the tactics which has developed in teams?

I think this article has been published every year since about 1920.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

I notice both Bernal and Sosa crashed in the Colombian nationals on fast right hand bends. Whether this is ropey technique or substandard tyres, or even just bad luck who knows. But others got around at pace just fine.

There was a period where jumbo riders were falling off all over the place which they later put down to a terrible tyre choice.

There was also a Paris Nice crash of Thomas that they later put down to riding on the wrong pressures.
  • It's cos Team Ineos don't use disc brakes >:)
  • Perhaps Sky/Ineos riders minds are so consumed by science, their reaction time is slowed. Eisenstein used to crash his bike all the time with all that math sh1t in his head!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    RichN95. said:

They only ever learnt to turn left because of their background on the UK criterium scene
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Often? Often?

Give Michael Rasmussen a time trial bike and then come back to me about 'often'.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070

Eisenstein used to crash his bike all the time with all that math censored in his head!

That's not maths.

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You actually believe Egan Bernal crashed and broke his collar bone last year before returning to win the TDF? I don't, not for a second.

Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • RichN95.
    edited February 2020
    asprilla said:

You actually believe Egan Bernal crashed and broke his collar bone last year before returning to win the TDF? I don't, not for a second.

Yes. To believe any other scenario would require a level of daftness that I am not capable of.
  • fenix
    asprilla said:

Why ??

What's your scenario ?

And what about Steve Cummings.
    Broke more than that in 2017 and came back to take the national RR and TT championship.

You can train very effectively without actual racing.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    Hayman clearly didn't break his arm before that P-R either.

I'm not sure whether Ineos riders crash more, but when they do crash there is more chat about it on this forum.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Nor did Contador have his leg amputated after crashing in the 2014 tour.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    Fausto Coppi faked his own death from malaria to escape the gaze of the Italian media and to pursue his real passion - shoemaking. He worked as a humble cobbler in a village just west of Verona until his death in 2002.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    asprilla said:

Where did I leave my tinfoil hat?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646

I'm not sure whether Ineos riders crash more, but when they do crash there is more chat about it on this forum.

this froome and geriant are above average crashy riders i would say but plenty of them in other teams

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    Anyone remember Euskaltel Euskadi?
  • fenix
    I have fond memories of their riders scrambling out of ditches all over Europe. The good old days.
  • Pross said:

Are you trying to say something LOL     Great team
  • RichN95.

Pross said:

Are you trying to say something LOL     Great team

They weren't dubbed the Bleeding Carrots for nothing - (c) Matt Lloyd