Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

Somehow I doubt that the blanket was 'invented' in the 14th century. Human beanz been around for a long long time.

No doubt there would be a caveman wishing he had copyrighted the fur pelt if he were still around... ;)
    Made out of battered Foxes?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    pinno said:

US boxing ring announcer Michael Buffer trademarked his catchphrase "Let's get ready to rumble".

It has generated 400 million USD in revenue since 1992.

How on earth do they calculate that?!
    I bet PJ & Duncan are devasted :wink: sorry Ant & Dec :smile:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

Somehow I doubt that the blanket was 'invented' in the 14th century. Human beanz been around for a long long time.

No doubt there would be a caveman wishing he had copyrighted the fur pelt if he were still around... ;)
    Probably more practical than being made out of battered Mars Bars.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

Probably more practical than being made out of battered Mars Bars.
    I was thinking more along the lines of bearskin. Could've chucked in the copyright for Mars bars if you want to continue. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    The US idiom for 'piss up in a brewery' is '3 car funeral'

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Been following the Iowa caucuses then?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878

Been following the Iowa caucuses then?
    Yup
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The Polish idiom for "not my problem" Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy

not my circus, not my monkeys
  • The Polish idiom for "not my problem" Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy

not my circus, not my monkeys

Common phrase round these parts, and we're a long way from Poland!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    In Dutch, when someone's true intentions or the true situation is revealed; 'now the monkey comes out of the sleeve'.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

In Dutch, when someone's true intentions or the true situation is revealed; 'now the monkey comes out of the sleeve'.

I assume that doesn't apply to road cycling jerseys.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • orraloon said:

The blanket may have been named after its inventor, Thomas Blanket, in the 14th century.

RHLSTP!
    I learnt quie a while ago to check the Oxford English Dictionary.

Etymology: < Old French blankete, blanquette blanket, < blanc white + diminutive suffix -ette ; see blanchētus , -um in Ducange. Compare blunket adj. and n. (The Thomas Blanket to whom gossip attributes the origin of the name, if he really existed, doubtless took his name from the article.)
    Both things can be true. A Flemish weaver with a name derived from blanquette could have moved to Bristol, anglicised his name, developed a new way of weaving, named it after himself, and bingo. Thomas "the tank engine" Blankets are born.

RHLSTP!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    edited February 2020
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

Surely if they were cavemen, they wouldn't have domesticated wheat or other grains and therefore would have no flour to make batter. You've just not thought this through. :)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    Mustard after the mealtime is another favourite,
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

Surely if they were cavemen, they wouldn't have domesticated wheat or other grains and therefore would have no flour to make batter. You've just not thought this through. :)
    Funny.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I appreciate that I'm probably the last cyclist in the world to realise this but it was only last month whilst reading a Christmas present ('Ventoux: Sacrifice and Suffering on the Giant of Provence by Jeremy Whittle) I learnt that Big Tex's 'Mellow Johnny's' bike shop is a play on the words maillot jaune :(
    FCN = 4
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

Funny.
    It would be a first.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    That my Bro is on Instagram

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51356217

The above may not be entirely accurate...
  • rjsterry
    Fire is dependent on photosynthesis, at least on Earth. Without the latter, atmospheric oxygen levels would be too low for fire to exist.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry said:

Fire is dependent on photosynthesis, at least on Earth. Without the latter, atmospheric oxygen levels would be too low for fire to exist.

TIMK
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    Yes.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Ever noticed that banana flavour (sweets etc.) doesn't taste anything like banana?

Apparently, banana flavour is based upon the Gros Michel banana which went out of commercial production (1950s) because of fungal diseases making it difficult to grow. It was replaced by the Cavendish variety which we have today.

(and yes, the Cavendish might also get a fungal disease and we won't have that one either)

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    I have noticed that due to this Cavendish disease (though they don't suffer road rash), we have been seeing ;lots of different varieties at the supermarket.
    This is only a good thing because there are over 1000 varieties of banana and when I was in Kenya, the banana's were all different and actually had flavour.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    There's a genre called "Electro Swing"

I love George Michael's version of Roxanne - ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC_XfM6JjXc ) - heard it years ago - must've stumbled on it by accident. Played it the other evening - found that it was part of his swing album. Trying to concentrate at work today - played his album then wanted more swing music - so just typed Swing into the music app - and it suggested electro swing ... probably a little over processed for my liking though ...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    edited February 2020
    Likewise reggae jazz. A strange combo that works if you just want to chill.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    The difference between Chorley cakes and Eccles cakes.
    Chorley are made with shortcrust pastry and Eccles with puff.
    Northern monkeys would no doubt know that.
  • orraloon
    That people ride bikes on a frozen Lake Baikal. 205km on, rather than in hopefully, the water.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-51518787/racing-on-a-frozen-lake-as-ice-cracks-below
  • orraloon
    To pay attention while doing a scan-as-you-shop in local branch of well known supermarket chain. Got the periodic 'you have been selected for a store check' message from the checkout till. Then as assistant is doing the items check, cannot find the barcode label for the 2 bananas you have, the cheapest item in the trolley, and realise xxxx it forgot to scan them.... Embarrassing. Fortunately store lady was good natured about it, added them on, and I didn't get the security march of shame. I blame fact that I had just come from a heavy duty gym session for my distraction.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    orraloon said:

and realise xxxx it forgot to scan them.... Embarrassing. Fortunately store lady was good natured about it, added them on, and I didn't get the security march of shame.

No - but your account will be marked for a store check more frequently now ...
  • rick_chasey
    I once walked out with an entire week's shopping after forgetting to pay on the self-service checkout.

I noticed when I got home. I walked back with the entire shop and went to the shop floor manager. He basically said that he'd already written it off as lost so it was more hassle for me to pay for it than not and sent me home.

:/