Squeaking brakes after new pads

Just fitted some new pads to my Sram Guide R brakes. Cleaned the rotors up with brake cleaner and bed in by repeatedly slowing down but not stopping the speeding up to do again. As soon as the brakes cool they start squeaking on brake apply.

I have cleaned and tried twice now with the same result.

Any advice on things to try to stop the noise?

Thanks

Comments

• gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    Try slackening the calliper mounting bolts, hold the leaver back and retighten the bolts.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited January 2020
    By "hold the lever back", I assume you mean put the brakes on hard. This will centralise the caliper on to the disc.

Is that what you meant?
    Otherwise it will be a new learning opportunity for me. :)
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99

By "hold the lever back", I assume you mean put the brakes on hard. This will centralise the caliper on to the disc.

Is that what you meant?
    Otherwise it will be a new learning opportunity for me. :)

Yes I did, :p
  • robsie71
    robsie71 Posts: 7
    edited January 2020
    Thanks I will give that a try...it's seems to quieten down when they warm up (if I hold the lever half down and keep peddling for a while) but then gets noisy again when they cool down...wondering if it's just a matter of putting some miles through them?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    robsie71 said:

...wondering if it's just a matter of putting some miles through them?

That’s the best idea, less faff and enjoy the ride. If it works you haven’t wasted your time trying to fix it, if it doesn’t work you haven’t wasted your time as you went for a ride.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    As it takes less than 5 minutes to adjust them as above, just do it, it negates uneven wear on the pads.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • robertpb said:

As it takes less than 5 minutes to adjust them as above, just do it, it negates uneven wear on the pads.

Yes I was still planning to do this...which I now have and unfortunately the noise is still present.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    What new pads did you fit?

Do be aware that sintered pads (metal) will make more noise than organic (resin) based pads.

As long as you’ve reset the caliper pistons by pushing them back in with a tyre lever etc before fitting new pads and got the caliper centre to the disc you should be fine.

I normally go for a ride and with braking you bed them in.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    I always recommend uberbike race matrix.