Vasil Kiryienka Retires

shipley
shipley Posts: 549
Due to an ongoing heart condition Vasil Kiryienka has announced his retirement. I was always amazed by his ‘diesel engine’ abilities, the speed he could maintain and the fact that he is a nice guy. Much as I have hated the Sky/Ineos ‘train’ antics, I’ll miss watching him.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    He was always enjoyable to watch, calmly pulling the Sky train up the hill. Can't remember what race stage his breakaway was in, but it was epic to watch.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • He had the face of a poker player....never gave any inkling as to his state of pain/fatigue/ease whatever........Jalabert was similar in his day with that ability
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    He hasn't been himself for years. He was an utter beast in his prime. Total monster!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Biggest achievement probably the Worlds TT in 2015? Couple of podiums down the years against strong fields too.

Good rider, and as above hasn't been himself for a few years, sure Bernal/Thomas/Froome etc would've loved to have him back making those big pulls this summer!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Strongest flatland domestique in the last xxx years.
    Shame he couldn't retire on his own terms.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Ugh, most overrated rider after Teejay.

I never got the cult love around him.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551

Key engine in the Sky Train... what's not to love? ;)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Cameron Wurf has been signed to replace him. He makes the rest of the squad look lazy now. He can do all the cycling and still run a sub 3 marathon off the back of it. Monster.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Really? People just rate him for being really good at the role he performs. He just looks so calm and unflappable riding on the front for ages at a pace no-one can attack off. If anything I'd say he's underrated as a rider in his own right. Teejay on the other had is supposed to be a GT rider
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    fenix said:

Cameron Wurf has been signed to replace him. He makes the rest of the squad look lazy now. He can do all the cycling and still run a sub 3 marathon off the back of it. Monster.

They won't sponsor a women's team, but they are prepared to hire a mate to help him improve his Ironman results. *shrugs*
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    fenix said:

Yeah just saw this, kinda surprising!

Apparently hes riding in the Cuddles race. See how he goes.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    andyp said:

fenix said:

They won't sponsor a women's team, but they are prepared to hire a mate to help him improve his Ironman results. *shrugs*

He’s been closely associated with the team for a few years. He goes to their training camps, uses the same kit, is coached by Tim Kerrison. They may as well make it formal and let him do a couple of races for minimum wage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    cycling fitness its not all good. it is an insanely brutal effort.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm