R8000 chainset with the 4iiii duel power meter

I'm thinking of buying the above, but getting conflicting answers to questions from the 2 main suppliers. Can anyone tell me for sure that the unit that attaches to the non drive crank is glued on by the manufactures or is it held on with a 3M's pad or a rubber band both of which I have been told by the main suppliers. Thanks

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    It should be glued but not sure if they have changed their manufacturing processes- quite possible following Shane Miller's investigation in to inaccurate and inconsistent readings on dual sided shimano crank power meters.

Before you buy I suggest you read Shanes article.
    https://gplama.com/2019/06/29/shimano-crankset-power-meters/
  • Thanks for that Redvision, that was an eye opener.
    I've been in touch with 4iiii and they have confirmed that ALL PM's fitted to the left crank are glued, heat treated and cannot be removed. Having thought about what I need at my low level of riding, the single sided would be the best option, that decision has now been backed up with Shane's article. It's a shame no one stocks the 4iiii on a 6800 170 crank anymore, which means I've got to go with the R8000. That puts the cost up to around £550.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    No probs.

I have gone through 4 4iiii crank arms, each one was perfect for a while then failed.
    The single sided are consistent and accurate, which is what you want, but from my experience I would say make sure you buy new as you may need to claim on the warranty - I should point out that each time the faulty pm was replaced without a problem, and should also say I have club mates who have had a 4iiii for years and had zero issues with it.

Have you looked at the favero assioma? That's my recommendation. It's simply brilliant.
    When I decided to change from the 4iiii I wad hesitant to go with the favero because of the pods, but once fitted you can't notice the pods (against the crank arms).

My only gripe is the cleats (look cleat system) which I am not the biggest fan of (much prefer the shimano cleats system). But you get used to them.

I have had the awful powertap p1, Garmin vector 3, a stages, 4iiii and now favero. The favero is by far and away the best.
  • 170mm crank for ~£300, send me Paypal gift if you want to offload the weight of that extra £200! ;)

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-power-meters/4iiii-precision-2.0-3d-power-meter-105-r7000-black/12104435.html
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I went with the single sided 4iiii on an R8000 in the end, got a good price and it arrives tomorrow, fitted and hopefully working for Saturday's ride.