Shimano 105 Disc Brake Pad Axles Replacement

Can you please recommend a hardened replacement for the Shimano Y8J710000 pad axle, which fits the 105 disc brakes?

Hopefully the image below will show up.

Link to PDF https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-BR-R7070-4328B.pdf
Part number 11.

I've stripped the screwdriver slot on mine, trying to undo it.

Thank you.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Use a split pin. Some Shimano calipers come with split pins already, they're cheap as chips and do exactly the same job.
  • RedClip
    RedClip Posts: 110

Use a split pin. Some Shimano calipers come with split pins already, they're cheap as chips and do exactly the same job.

Thank you for your help :)
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I used

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-br-m785-pad-axle-snap-ring/

A couple of mm longer than the 105 pin but makes no difference.
  • RedClip

I used

Thank you very much :)
  • Glad I am not the only one!
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

I used

+1 for this.

I stripped the screw as well, it's made of cheese. The above works perfectly & is far better than the screw supplied.
  • newman8
    newman8 Posts: 1
    I know it’s an old thread - but those of you who stripped the screw - how did you end up removing it? Thanks.
  • RedClip
    newman8 said:

I know it’s an old thread - but those of you who stripped the screw - how did you end up removing it? Thanks.

I took my bike to a local bike shop, and they drilled out the screw.
    I replaced both brakes with the "cap head" style bolt (mentioned in the Wiggle link above). I think the bike shop charged me 50p per bolt. I can't remember how much they charged for drilling out the screw.

I have noticed over time, the bolts are harder to remove. Probably due to road salt corrosion etc.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    RedClip said:

newman8 said:

I replaced both brakes with the "cap head" style bolt (mentioned in the Wiggle link above). I think the bike shop charged me 50p per bolt. I can't remember how much they charged for drilling out the screw.

I have noticed over time, the bolts are harder to remove. Probably due to road salt corrosion etc.
    Remove and clean the threads (take the pads out whilst you do this if using anything like GT85). Once cleaned and dry and free of any corrosion etc, put a tiny dab of coppaslip grease on the threaded portion before refitting. They don’t need to be really tight either, just nipped up. The circlip prevents them coming out in use.

The coppaslip will prevent them seizing due to water/ road salt/ sweat or anything else getting in there. This means much less chance of having to try really hard to undo them and the consequential screwdriver slot damage.
  • RedClip

RedClip said:

newman8 said:

Remove and clean the threads (take the pads out whilst you do this if using anything like GT85). Once cleaned and dry and free of any corrosion etc, put a tiny dab of coppaslip grease on the threaded portion before refitting. They don’t need to be really tight either, just nipped up. The circlip prevents them coming out in use.

The coppaslip will prevent them seizing due to water/ road salt/ sweat or anything else getting in there. This means much less chance of having to try really hard to undo them and the consequential screwdriver slot damage.
    Thank you very much for the advice :)
  • rob.m
    rob.m Posts: 89
    I drilled mine out at home and fitted a split pin which may have come supplied with the replacement pads if I remember correctly.
    It's never too late to become what you might have been...........