2×12 drivetrain

If i have a 1×12 xt drivetrain with a 51 toth cassete can i upgrade to a 2×12 drivetrain?
And if so what do i need to change?

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    No, but why.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Why indeed?
    Why go back to more bar clutter?
    Where would you put the second shifter, in place of your dropper remote?

In case you misunderstand me, I do not consider going from 1x12 to 2x12 an "upgrade", quite the reverse. If you are struggling to get up hills, fit a smaller chain ring. If you are spinning out, fit a bigger one!

To answer your question: Your frame design might not even allow for a front mech, so check that first. If it does, then by all means go for it. But your rear mech may not have the range, and you may not be able to get a good chain line with a double ring.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited January 2020
    Not if you want to keep the 51T rear you can't.

The new Shimano SLX, XT and XTR 12-speed drive chains are available in 2x12 flavour. However, they are limited to a max 45T rear sprocket.

Regardless of whether it is an upgrade or not you can convert to 2x12 if your bike is capable of taking a front mech' and there is enough chain stay clearance.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009