2020 classics season thread

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,213
A new year, a new build up to the classics season.

Just over 5 weeks out and we're beginning to see the first training races which will help inform the pecking order moving into the season opener in Ghent.

It's too far out to grab odds for omloop, or even a decent start list, but as ever, the early part of the classics build up is confused by the favourites not always opting to ride each one.

Nonetheless, this year sees a material change in the favourites to look out for, with the two cross stars now firmly in everyone's eyeline.

I have noticed that in the post-Boonen world we don't get the same detailed blow-by-blow account of how each favourite's training is going, but I'll keep an eye out.

Anyway, a thread to discuss all the build up.

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    *subscribes*
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I haven't got in to them last couple of years. Theres been too many races won by riders escaping and everyone else looking at each other. If this year isnt good, I'll proclaim the classics dead.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Wildcards have been announced? I know Wanty are at PR and obviously MvP
  • rick_chasey
    MVP will also be at LBL I believe
  • Wildcards for Paris-Roubaix:

Direct Energie (Fra)
    Wanty Gobert (Bel)
    Alpecin – Fenix (Bel)
    B&B Hôtels – Vital Concept (Fra)
    Nippo Delko Provence (Fra)
    Team Arkéa – Samsic (Fra)

Flèche Wallonne & Liège-Bastogne-Liège:

Total Direct Energie (Fra)
    Circus - Wanty Gobert (Bel)
    Alpecin – Fenix (Bel)
    Sport Vlaanderen - Baloise (Bel)
    Team Arkéa – Samsic (Fra)
    Wallonie Bruxelles (Bel)

KBK
    Alpecin-Fenix
    Bingoal-Wallonie-Bruxelles
    Circus-Wanty Gobert
    Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise
    B&B Hotels-Vital Concept
    Total Direct Energie
    Uno-X Norwegian Development Team

MILANO-SANREMO

TOTAL DIRECT ENERGIE (FRA)
    CIRCUS - WANTY GOBERT (BEL)
    CORENDON (BEL)
    GAZPROM - RUSVELO (RUS)
    TEAM ARKEA - SAMSIC (FRA)
    VINI ZABÙ KTM (ITA)

STRADE BIANCHE

CIRCUS - WANTY GOBERT (BEL)
    ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI - SIDERMEC (ITA)
    BARDIANI CSF FAIZANÈ (ITA)
    B&B HOTELS - VITAL CONCEPT (FRA)
    CORENDON (BEL)
    TEAM ARKEA - SAMSIC (FRA)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98

MVP will also be at LBL I believe

Sporza has Fleche as his last one.

7 maart Strade Bianche (Ita)?
    21 maart Milaan-Sanremo (Ita)?
    23-30 maart Ronde van Catalonië (Spa)
    5 april Ronde van Vlaanderen
    12 april Parijs-Roubaix?
    15 april Brabantse Pijl?
    19 april Amstel Gold Race?
    22 april Waalse Pijl?

It's quite similar to Alaphilippe's, I think.
  • rick_chasey
    GvA has, for the first time, spent time at altitude as part of his prep for the season.

16 days at altitude. Fairly far out from the big races but he's done it partly to see how he reacts but also to juice his training up a bit.

Obviously getting a bit of extra attention this year as the reigning Olympic champ.
  • rick_chasey
    Have to say, I find it quite surprising that this is the first for GvA. In 2020.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    bit OT for this topic but does anyone have any tips for watching Flanders ? Trying to arrange a trip to watch it this year
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    sherer said:

bit OT for this topic but does anyone have any tips for watching Flanders ? Trying to arrange a trip to watch it this year

Go to Oude Kwaremont. Free buses to it from the surrounding towns ( as an aside definitely worth going into the Ronde museum in Oudenaarde) and there is a big screen plus food/beer stalls. When I went a couple of years ago I think we got one round of the women plus two (maybe three) of the men going past. It's nicely lined out by the time they get to the top so you see plenty of the riders. Plus there are a few other groups that ride past (juniors, award winners etc) so quite a good vibe and keeps you entertained when not watching the race...
  • sherer
    Cheers Dish.. that sounds like a good shout. Hoping it's a dry day and we can try out the Belgium beer as we watch the race
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2020
    I have this feeling that, a year on from a tumultuous period in his personal life, Sagan is going to be right on it this year.

He'll be in Colombia at altitude when the Omloop kicks off.

His first race will be Strade Bianche, then he's doing Tirreno to rev up for MSR.
  • gweeds
    Speaking of MSR - any news on the landslides that were threatening both the Poggio and race being run at all?...
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    All sorted AFAIK. Corroborated with lots of strava segments being done.
  • sherer

I have this feeling that, a year on from a tumultuous period in his personal life, Sagan is going to be right on it this year.

He'll be in Colombia at altitude when the Omloop kicks off.

His first race will be Strade Bianche, then he's doing Tirreno to rev up for MSR.

Despite only a 5th he was back on form for World Championships, he just missed the move.

As a big fan im hoping he has a decent season, although winning green again last year didnt make it too bad a year. He does need to start getting some more monuments wins though
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194
    Yeah, I think Sagan could well be majorly up for it.
    MSR is missing from his Palmares. 7 top 10 finishes, though only two podiums. Starting to look like an itch he has to scratch soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    MvdP doing all the major classics as well I think.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,503
    Is Gilbert targeting MSR?
  • rick_chasey
    Yes!
  • gweeds

All sorted AFAIK. Corroborated with lots of strava segments being done.

Lovely, ta. I'll tune in for the last 45 mins as usual then.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    do we think the best riders can hold their peak for 3+ weeks? for example Gilbert has won flanders/ Roubaix and literally peaked for the one week, Sagan similar, Boonen and cancellara have both I think done the double... could someone like sagan win MSR then Roubaix or is that too big a call....
  • rick_chasey
    I think someone with Sagan's abilities can win MSR without being 100%.

I mean, Alaphilippe won MSR and won Fleche in the same season last year, and Degenkolb won MSR and Roubaix in the same season.
  • m.r.m.
    Sagan always has the ability to win all 3 monuments. Is a tough ask though against Gilbert, MvdP, Alaphilippe etc.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited January 2020
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Bora but no Sagan - so they'll be riding for Oss?
  • rick_chasey
    Langeveld broke his collarbone today. Bad news for EF.
  • rick_chasey
    Update on Paris - Roubaix.

They're adding a cobbled section, the 1km Hameau de Buat, to make the total number of sections of 30.

They're also doing the section Vertain in the more difficult direction for the first time.

Mons-en-Pevele looking a little mucky in Feb

• m.r.m.
    edited February 2020
    Can't come soon enough! Why isn't it Strade Bianche time yet?!! Let's goooooo!!!
  • Re the the post about watching Flanders, Oude Kwarmont is good - the only problem is that it is absolutely rammed with people. Last year I watched the first pass up the OK and then you can walk across the fields to the Paterberg where it was easy to get a good spot to watch the last two laps. There is a screen there where you can watch the finish of the race
  • sherer

Re the the post about watching Flanders, Oude Kwarmont is good - the only problem is that it is absolutely rammed with people. Last year I watched the first pass up the OK and then you can walk across the fields to the Paterberg where it was easy to get a good spot to watch the last two laps. There is a screen there where you can watch the finish of the race

Thanks for this. debating where to bus \ train it in from Ghent or drive. Dont think we can actually move about that much with the car, and I want to drink some Belgium beer