Rival Shifting gear issues

Morning all
I have an On-One Space Chicken which comes with a SRAM Rival 1x setup. 42 on the front and 42-11 on the rear.
The shifting is best described as abysmal.Its currently stuck in the lowest/easiest gear and I have had to manually pull the rear mech with one hand while shifting with the other (obviously not while moving) in order to get to work this morning. I had this at the back end of last week but switched the cable out and it worked fine so i assumed it was a duff cable that was originally installed. Its since done 100 miles had a wash, dry and lube and the same has happened again.

Ive had a quick play and it seems to be to much friction somewhere along the gear cable but cant fathom out where.

It is internally routed cable but there is no outer cable running internally.
There is a plastic bottom bracket guide with the exposed cable running through it but i have taken that out, cleaned and greased.

Has anyone come across something similar?
Thoughts on solutions would be great.

I am currently looking getting the shimano mtb optislide kit and using that. Im at a loss and close to spending 30 quid to rectify.
any suggestions would be great

ta

Buz

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    No knowing your mechanical prowess, I'd start from scratch.

Trace the route of the cable outer ensuring there are no tight bends or pinch points.
    Ensure the shifter is set to the highest gear and the cable inner is inserted correctly.
    Check the RD alignment in the L and H settings.
    Reconnect the cable inner.

Test again. If it still doesn't work, then I'd be considering the cheaper options of changing the cable outers before changing the RD or even the shifter.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • changing the outer cables was my initial "cheap" solution. With the shimano kit I will have spare parts for my wifes and my summer bike.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Was this a new bike? I ask as my Exocet 2 which was second hand, had one of the internal straws bunged up with something preventing me threading the cable inner for the front derailleur. Took liberal amounts of WD40 and a sacrificial cable inner to clear it of whatever it was.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.