Thread to tell everyone what bargains you've spotted!

Comments

• david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    daniel_b said:

Scott lace up road shoes - carbon sole, £200 down to £59, seemingly available in most popular sizes, and there's also a 10% code floating about too.

I think I have convinced myself not to get any, as I think I prefer ratchet \ BOA closure system.

I have some of their BOA road shoes, and they are brilliant, easily as good as Mavic \ Sidi etc.

https://www.startfitness.co.uk/scott-road-lc-lace-cycling-shoes-black-251814-5533.htmlhttps://startfitness.co.uk/scott-road-lc-lace-cycling-shoes-black-251814-5533.html

EXTRA10

Have ordered some, lets see if they arrive, seems too good to be true :smile:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Let me know, as I may be swayed! Have ordered loads of stuff from Start fitness before, never had any issues, even with returns.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    daniel_b said:

Scott lace up road shoes - carbon sole, £200 down to £59, seemingly available in most popular sizes, and there's also a 10% code floating about too.

I think I have convinced myself not to get any, as I think I prefer ratchet \ BOA closure system.

I have some of their BOA road shoes, and they are brilliant, easily as good as Mavic \ Sidi etc.

https://www.startfitness.co.uk/scott-road-lc-lace-cycling-shoes-black-251814-5533.htmlhttps://startfitness.co.uk/scott-road-lc-lace-cycling-shoes-black-251814-5533.html

Sweet, was looking to replace my old giro empires. Will give these a go.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,843
    edited January 2020
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/deals/top-40?sort=price-desc&deal=TOPOFTHEPOPS

Some bargains in there where "TOPOFTHEPOPS" promo code gives further discount, especially the bikes, £525 for London Road Rival1; £600 for Pro Carbon Evo Rival22; £675 Pro Carbon Evo 105 700 (plus £20 p&p for bikes)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    dowtcha said:

daniel_b said:

Sweet, was looking to replace my old giro empires. Will give these a go.
    Please let me know what you think!

I'm still very tempted, they do look stunning in my opinion, and quite Empire-esque, plus the branding is very subtle imho.

Can someone explain why lace up shoes might be better than BOA \ ratchet though?

I would consider a pair for commuting, but I guess it means it will take longer to put on / take off at either end of the journey, and potentially be slightly more of a pain if you want to wear overshoes, dependng on the style of overshoe?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

Can someone explain why lace up shoes might be better than BOA \ ratchet though?

I would consider a pair for commuting, but I guess it means it will take longer to put on / take off at either end of the journey, and potentially be slightly more of a pain if you want to wear overshoes, dependng on the style of overshoe?

Easy - laces have far more adjustment points than Boa. I have both at the moment but for longer rides I'm always, always picking my Empires over my Boa shoes.

And as goes time taken, it's not really any different is it? 5 seconds longer to tie a lace than a Boa?
  • daniel_b said:

Easy - laces have far more adjustment points than Boa. I have both at the moment but for longer rides I'm always, always picking my Empires over my Boa shoes.

And as goes time taken, it's not really any different is it? 5 seconds longer to tie a lace than a Boa?
    Advantage of dials is the adjustment on the bike. If you've done it slightly too tight you aren't loosening it on the go with laces.

We seem to manage with laces in every situation off the bike!
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I do find that both laces and Boa Dials can slacken off a bit after a few hours, with Boa dials you can re-tighten on the move, with laces you have to find somewhere to stop to retie them.

But the poster above is also correct, laces spread the pressure on your foot better than Boa dials.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2020
    Interesting points, cheers chaps :)

On a bargain related topic, I have alas had to return these size 44 Giant Phase carbon soled shoes - just a tiny bit too snug for my size 10 feet alas.
    They also have some size 46's in stock.

£130 down to £70.

If you bump the order up to over £100, you can knock a tenner off with their code as well.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/clothing/shoes/giant-phase-carbon-road-shoes-yellowblack_374089

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • david7m
    Scott's arrived today, look great but too small. Have ordered next size up and returning these.
  • So they
    david7m said:

Scott's arrived today, look great but too small. Have ordered next size up and returning these.

So they weren't true to size then?
  • david7m

So they

david7m said:

Nope. Im normally a 44 but these are too narrow and with soles to level my foot there will be no room left.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    david7m said:

So they

david7m said:

Nope. Im normally a 44 but these are too narrow and with soles to level my foot there will be no room left.
    Cheers for that - I was considering gambling the Scott Comp Boa MTB shoes in island sized 48's (£30 from £100)- but am quite wide, so won't bother.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • https://www.merlincycles.com/northwave-flash-thinsulate-road-shoe-105172.html £82.50

Best price I've seen these, but personally questioning whether they would get me outdoors in carp weather!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2020
    david7m said:

Sorry to hear that David - what's your normal shoe size - 10?
    I'm a 10 in everyday shoes, and often a 45 in cycling shoes, but my BOA Scott road shoes fit me perfectly in a size 44 - according to the chart that should reflect a UK 9.5.
    It's possible these are not the same fit as my other road shoes of course.

What is the overall quality and finish like?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • david7m
    daniel_b said:

david7m said:

Sorry to hear that David - what's your normal shoe size - 10?
    I'm a 10 in everyday shoes, and often a 45 in cycling shoes, but my BOA Scott road shoes fit me perfectly in a size 44 - according to the chart that should reflect a UK 9.5.
    It's possible these are not the same fit as my other road shoes of course.

What is the overall quality and finish like?
    Yeah, normally a 10 and other cycling shoes are 44. Ive ordered 45 which are now on the way, just need to return the 44's - didnt want to miss out by returning for an exchange :smile:

They are definitely for summer/warmer days as lots of air vent holes over toes, and the quality is very good (the heels arent replaceable). Wouldnt say they are a £200 pair of shoes though :neutral: You wont be disappointed at sale price value though!
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2020
    That makes me wonder if I would need a 45.

These are the other Scott shoes I have:

But as I say, they fit me perfectly in a 44, so maybe the toe box is wider on those than these lace up ones.

*Clearly you will be surprised the above shoes I bought in black and yellow.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Massive bargain on these High 5 Xtreme caffeine tabs - cheapest I have ever seen is probably half price at £3.50.

Wiggle have them at £1.99 for 20!

My stock level has run down, so just ordered a batch - love the pink grapefruit, hate the berry flavour personally.

https://wiggle.co.uk/high5-zero-xtreme-hydration-tablets-20-tabs
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gouldy88
    gouldy88 Posts: 6
    edited January 2020
    daniel_b said:

Massive bargain on these High 5 Xtreme caffeine tabs - cheapest I have ever seen is probably half price at £3.50.

Wiggle have them at £1.99 for 20!

My stock level has run down, so just ordered a batch - love the pink grapefruit, hate the berry flavour personally.

https://wiggle.co.uk/high5-zero-xtreme-hydration-tablets-20-tabs

The 8 pack box is £15.99 too
  • david7m
    daniel_b said:

But as I say, they fit me perfectly in a 44, so maybe the toe box is wider on those than these lace up ones.

They look identical apart from the colour and laces :) I'd try the 44 if you already have experience of this brand, my others are Bontrager and Specialized.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Sure this used to be in Commuting section .... anyway ...

Merlin are doing some good discounts on Moon lights atm - eg the Nebula is now £19 ...
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    slowbike said:

Merlin are doing some good discounts on Moon lights atm - eg the Nebula is now £19 ...

Or you could wait for the next aldi cycling special and get the same light (rebadged) for a fiver
  • redvision said:

slowbike said:

Or you could wait for the next aldi cycling special and get the same light (rebadged) for a fiver
    Not sure they'll do them again. Weren't in last bike promo. Only the larger, more expensive copies (nebula??)
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219

https://www.merlincycles.com/northwave-flash-thinsulate-road-shoe-105172.html £82.50

Best price I've seen these, but personally questioning whether they would get me outdoors in carp weather!

Boots are better for crap weather - with tights pulled over the cuff. I've been using the Shimano goretex ones all winter (2-bolt, but there are 3 bolt ones) and they really are excellent. warm and dry, not had to break out the overshoes this year yet.

Planet X do some winter boots for £70 - worth a try perhaps?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    redvision said:

slowbike said:

yup - I bought 3 lots of their last £15 light set offering - the back light is fab - the front is enough to ride unlit main roads by - but they are flimsy in comparison to the Moon stuff and the battery life isn't as good - but for the price it was worth it - especially as at this time of year I run 2 on the front and 3 on the back for commutes (and pub rides)
  • david7m
    david7m said:

daniel_b said:

They look identical apart from the colour and laces :) I'd try the 44 if you already have experience of this brand, my others are Bontrager and Specialized.
    Got the 45s and they fit perfect.
  • daniel_b
    david7m said:

david7m said:

daniel_b said:

Got the 45s and they fit perfect.
    Thankyou, have gone for a pair of 44's :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited January 2020
    slowbike said:

Yes, this used to be in commuting. The swines moved it.

Nebula Rear is £19, Front is £24.

Ta. My front aldi moon COB knock off has failed (the USB port appears shorted out with blue crud) so wouldn't turn on this morning when I wanted a bit of extra be seen "oomph" for this morning's fog...

I've previously given it a strip down and white vinegar clean to remove the crud, but seems to be a leak in there somewhere so it keeps coming back.

BTW - Definitely recommend the Moon Auto Shield X, currently £20 for a 300lumens (daylight flash) rear laser beam. . It's my main rear, and I love it.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-shield-x-auto-rechargeable-rear-light-2019-157623.html
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2020
    Error
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18