Commuter / winter trainer tyre.

I'm running Vittoria Zaffiro front and Gatorskin rear and the rear needs replaced. Most mileage is commuting over the usual variety of decent and crappy that most of encounter with some weekend 20 - 30 mile jaunts into the countryside.
Advice sought on good value 28mm tyres - Planet X have some tyres I'm not familiar with such as the Ruffy Tuffy, also they and Wiggle have some Schwalbes that I've not used. I've used Gatorskins in the past, previously in 23 and 25mm widths but on my commuter CX I'm not happy on 28s and can't go wider.
I want decent mileage, p*ncture protection and grip - the rear Gatorskin appears to have some life left in it but I've been experiencing some unexpected slides on greasy roads and I think it's wear level is a contributor.
Recommendations please.

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,280
    Using schwalbe one performance 28mm at the moment. Only 300 or so miles in but so far so good, do seem to attract cuts a bit but no punctures. Bit more time needed to see if they are worth it.

"needs replaced" - is this an American term?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited January 2020
    Schwalbe Durano or Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. Both are as tough as a Gatorskin but also have good grip and aren't a pain to fit.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    pangolin said:

"needs replaced" - is this an American term?

Needs replacing? Sorry, my grammatical ability is below what is expected.

I'll browse across a few outlets to see what deals are around.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Michelin Pro4 Endurance are my favourites - but riding mates also like Conti 4 seasons.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I've been using Michelin Lithions (25s) on my winter bike for the last 2 years, theyre a fantastic tyre, puncture resistance is excellent and they appear to be wearing very well. I've approx. 4000kms on them and no signs of wear on either front or rear tyre, plus theyre very cheap!
  • For puncture-free experience, I've been on Marathon+ 25c for over 3000miles on commute. It's not "performance" tyre but heck, if you're looking for winter / commuter tyres, I don't know if you can get any puncture-free than going on airless tyres.

Cheaper alternative is Wiggle's own Marathon+ equivalent.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Durano Plus for my commute. Yes, slightly heavier but v.reliable.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    GP 4 Seasons
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/pirelli-cinturato-velo-2018

Based on this and other reviews I think the Pirelli will be the next winter tyre I try, in the mean time my Schwalbe Duranos have been pretty good.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Pro 4 Endurance
  • Schwalbe Supreme. Tubeless.
    Negligible wear, pretty light, roll pretty well (I also do weekend club rides on them) and, despite the terrain I ride on, only had a single puncture in 1200 miles that was easily plugged with a worm.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    Ended up with a decent deal on a Zaffiro Pro - matches the front which has been a decent tyre, will see how that works on the rear.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    edited February 2020
    Gatorskins here. Bought them in November and not had a flat yet. They’re dear though.
  • A bit late to the party with this one! Michelin Pro 4 Endurance are my favourite, good feel and protection and also quite light for a winter tyre. Otherwise Gatorskin GP 4 Seasons are very good, but expensive.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Tried Michelin endurance and had two punctures in three weeks. It got a bit better and then had more flats. Went back to Schwalbe Marathons.

Heavy but won't leave you fixing flats at the side of the road.