Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665
    edited January 2020

Only because that’s how the bosses run it.

You don’t agree with offering up more flexible working to account for families?

Where practicable, but where it impacts significantly on others, there should be a level of consent.
    Sounds to me like really crap resources management rather than a problem with offering flexible working per se. Whether there needs to be consent depends on whether there is a change to the terms of employment, but if you are shifting someone on to all nights rather than on 1 in 5, or removing unsocial hours from another employee's contract that isn't just flexible working any more and needs to be reflected financially.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,698

Where practicable, but where it impacts significantly on others, there should be a level of consent.

Yeah, only people who are actual stakeholders should be asked to adapt for the benefit of parents.
    It should strictly be limited to people who have been children at some point in their life.
    So people should have their shifts arbitrarily changed to their detriment without negotiation or consent?
    This happens all the time anyway for all sorts of other reasons. Sick, holiday, all sorts. Part of being a junior is getting lumped with the rubbish work.

What other solution do you propose? The parents give up the job because their job won’t flex to let them do both?
  • rjsterry

Offering reasonable paternity/maternity conditions is an issue for the government as it is a benefit for society; however, a lot of the cost can fall on the private sector. Of course, private firms can also benefit from loyal long term staff too, but it is often hard for the short-term cost to be justified leading to complaints.

For example, in a friend's law firm, there was a team of 12. Four of whom became pregnant at the same time. Nobody new was brought in to cover, so four of the remaining eight left as they didn't like the increased work load. The team was then unsustainable with the remaining four. So how should this team have been saved? A lot of people will blame the partners for not hiring more people, but the question is how much would that have cost in recruitment fees, short-term contract premiums, training costs and double benefits? And that assumes it is even possible.

I don't have the solution, but I can see why people and businesses complain at times.
    From my own experience, it's difficult, especially when demand is fluctuating already, but it's far from impossible. If you give people some flexibility then generally speaking they will be prepared to return the favour when someone else needs the flexibility.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Yeah, only people who are actual stakeholders should be asked to adapt for the benefit of parents.
    It should strictly be limited to people who have been children at some point in their life.
    So people should have their shifts arbitrarily changed to their detriment without negotiation or consent?
    This happens all the time anyway for all sorts of other reasons. Sick, holiday, all sorts. Part of being a junior is getting lumped with the rubbish work.

What other solution do you propose? The parents give up the job because their job won’t flex to let them do both?
    Sick and holidays are relatively short term problems. Flexible working to allow for childcare is much longer term.
    I'm not talking of abusing juniors' working conditions, I am talking about people of equal standing having their shifts changed to accommodate one individual.

I have no magic solutions. Years ago, it was accepted that a parent (I know, usually the mother but it doesn't have to be) stayed at home to raise the kids. Today, people feel they have the right to work and in some instances, farm out child care.
    It is not for me to say which way is the best way, although both ways have societal benefits.
  • rjsterry
    shortfall said:

Just to set the scene. Rick arrives home where he is greeted by Mrs C in full Stepford Wife mode. Peck on the cheek, dinner on the table etc...

Mrs C. Good day at work, dear?
    RC Funny you should mention that. I have a bit of news.For the foreseeable future I will be working permanent nights.
    Mrs C. Not on Tuesday's though, bridge club night?
    RC Sorry dear, we'll have to cancel.
    Mrs C Our Thursday dinners with Tarquin and Jeremy?
    RC Sorry dear. We have to cancel everything.
    Mrs C But why, has something major happened?
    RC No, nothing like that dear, it's just that the Ballys have had a baby and it's only right that we are the ones that have our lives disrupted. Bally will do all the day shifts.
    Mrs C Never mind, the extra money will be nice. You could get those new sandals you always wanted and perhaps a hair shirt.
    RC No extra money I'm afraid.
    Mrs C But we don't much care for the Ballys, why should we be the ones to suffer?
    RC It's work dear.
    Mrs C We'll just suck it up then. More tofu dear?

P1ssed my pants laughing at that, you've missed your calling Bally.
    Assuming this is a reflection of your friend's situation (minus the bridge club - or maybe not), it sounds like the management have somewhat over-interpreted their obligations to offer flexible working. And maybe a reflection of an under-resourced police service.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    edited January 2020

Sick and holidays are relatively short term problems. Flexible working to allow for childcare is much longer term.
    I'm not talking of abusing juniors' working conditions, I am talking about people of equal standing having their shifts changed to accommodate one individual.

I have no magic solutions. Years ago, it was accepted that a parent (I know, usually the mother but it doesn't have to be) stayed at home to raise the kids. Today, people feel they have the right to work and in some instances, farm out child care.
    It is not for me to say which way is the best way, although both ways have societal benefits.
    Most parents *have to work* - it’s not some right.

In my NCT of eight couples, we’re the only couple who can afford for the mother not to immediately go back to work.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    rjsterry said:

shortfall said:

Just to set the scene. Rick arrives home where he is greeted by Mrs C in full Stepford Wife mode. Peck on the cheek, dinner on the table etc...

RC Funny you should mention that. I have a bit of news.For the foreseeable future I will be working permanent nights.
    RC No, nothing like that dear, it's just that the Ballys have had a baby and it's only right that we are the ones that have our lives disrupted. Bally will do all the day shifts.
    Mrs C Never mind, the extra money will be nice. You could get those new sandals you always wanted and perhaps a hair shirt.
    Mrs C But we don't much care for the Ballys, why should we be the ones to suffer?
    RC It's work dear.

Assuming this is a reflection of your friend's situation (minus the bridge club - or maybe not), it sounds like the management have somewhat over-interpreted their obligations to offer flexible working. And maybe a reflection of an under-resourced police service.
    Eh? Am I missing something here?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,505
    shortfall said:

RC It's work dear.

:D

+1
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate

In my NCT of eight couples, we’re the only couple who can afford for the mother not to immediately go back to work.
    I accept that nowadays both parents need to work and there is no way to go back to how it used to be.
    Years ago there were stricter rules on how much a couple could borrow but with their relaxation, people have sought to borrow more and more with a consequence that it is necessary that they both continue to earn.

• rjsterry
    edited January 2020
    shortfall said:

rjsterry said:

shortfall said:

RC It's work dear.

Eh? Am I missing something here?
    Quoted you, rather than Bally by mistake. Bally's friend, not yours.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited January 2020

I accept that nowadays both parents need to work and there is no way to go back to how it used to be.
    Years ago there were stricter rules on how much a couple could borrow but with their relaxation, people have sought to borrow more and more with a consequence that it is necessary that they both continue to earn.

(not that many) Years ago the woman's income wasn't even considered by lenders.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Back to the actual Labour party.

Jess Phillips made schoolgirl error of seeking to get Labour elected rather than preserving its ideological purity.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/21/jess-phillips-realises-folly-of-speaking-truth-to-out-of-power-john-crace
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457
    Phillips seems pretty marmite though. Some of the positions she takes re modern feminism strike me as possibly promoting ideology ahead of electablity.

I'd also say there is room for putting ideology up there. It's no good getting elected if you've had to sell off all you've ever truly believed in. Otoh, the modern day labour party are a good example of what happens when you sell off all chance of getting elected...
  • Stevo_666
    Jeremy.89 said:

Phillips seems pretty marmite though. Some of the positions she takes re modern feminism strike me as possibly promoting ideology ahead of electablity.

I'd also say there is room for putting ideology up there. It's no good getting elected if you've had to sell off all you've ever truly believed in. Otoh, the modern day labour party are a good example of what happens when you sell off all chance of getting elected...

Not sure it was saleable. I think they gave it away.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey

Fairly bold assumption that new parents aren't renting there...

Might be the case up North, certainly not round my way. Think about half on my NCT class don't have a mortgage.

You do know how expensive houses are now, right?
  • ballysmate
    edited January 2020
    Assumed no such thing.
    Borrowing restrictions relaxed, people could borrow more, prices went up accordingly, landlords had to pay more for property, rents went up.

Plus, as mortgage repayments went up, landlords could increase their asking rents and still remain viable.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry said:

(not that many) Years ago the woman's income wasn't even considered by lenders.
    We recently applied for a mortgage and my wife was about to go on maternity. even though is is going back to work (3 days a week), they didn't include my wife's income for the application.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Philips is great, but she's right that in the current politics she is not the best candidate for leader. She can't be convincing when bullshitting, avoiding questions and giving the same soundbite 24 hours a day.

It's a shame.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

Assumed no such thing.
    Borrowing restrictions relaxed, people could borrow more, prices went up accordingly, landlords had to pay more for property, rents went up.

Plus, as mortgage repayments went up, landlords could increase their asking rents and still remain viable.

Chicken and egg.

Would be private landlords was one of the drivers for house price increases over the past 20 years.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Longshot

You're blaming the wrong people. Providing flexible working arrangements for parents is a legal requirement on the employer. If the employer is doing this by increasing the workload of other employees then there are basically two possibilities:

1) The employer is doing this incorrectly and should be called out on it via HR or union or direct discussion
    2) Other employees' contracts allow for such changes to their working hours/practices in which case the problem was caused by accepting that contract in the first place.
  • rjsterry
    Longshot said:

Assumed no such thing.

Chicken and egg.

Would be private landlords was one of the drivers for house price increases over the past 20 years.
    I think the tax situation on BTL mortgages was as much a cause as relaxed lending requirements.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,546

Philips is great, but she's right that in the current politics she is not the best candidate for leader. She can't be convincing when bullshitting, avoiding questions and giving the same soundbite 24 hours a day.

It's a shame.

It's the problem of modern politics, a Catch 22 where the best politicians don't get to the top because they are less inclined to lie and deceive. People say we get the politicians we deserve but ultimately can only choose between those on our ballot paper and even as party members your ability to affect who becomes leader is limited, probably more so in the skewed Labour process than anywhere else.
  • Stevo_666

Philips is great, but she's right that in the current politics she is not the best candidate for leader. She can't be convincing when bullshitting, avoiding questions and giving the same soundbite 24 hours a day.

It's a shame.

Probably too moderate to lead the Labour party also.
  • ballysmate
    Longshot said:

You're blaming the wrong people. Providing flexible working arrangements for parents is a legal requirement on the employer. If the employer is doing this by increasing the workload of other employees then there are basically two possibilities:

1) The employer is doing this incorrectly and should be called out on it via HR or union or direct discussion
    2) Other employees' contracts allow for such changes to their working hours/practices in which case the problem was caused by accepting that contract in the first place.
    Not disputing the legal requirement, just pointing out that sometimes accommodating one member of a team means that their colleagues are the ones unfairly penalised.
  • Longshot

Longshot said:

Not disputing the legal requirement, just pointing out that sometimes accommodating one member of a team means that their colleagues are the ones unfairly penalised.
    Then blame the employer for not recruiting temporary resource to cover the situation. Yeah, I get it's expensive but so are a lot of things that can be forecast or assumed. It's a cost of business; financial forecasting should reasonably take that it into account and some provision made for it.
  • ballysmate
    Longshot said:

Longshot said:

Then blame the employer for not recruiting temporary resource to cover the situation. Yeah, I get it's expensive but so are a lot of things that can be forecast or assumed. It's a cost of business; financial forecasting should reasonably take that it into account and some provision made for it.
    Not wanting to get bogged down with specific cases, but if you look back at the example I gave earlier, my friend was a police officer. Temporary police officers are not an option.
    And obviously, the more specialised the role, the harder it is to cover.

Not a new phenomenon, here is an article from 2008.
    I would also point out that my friends experience pre dates this article.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/43857/WPC-baby-boom-will-leave-police-in-crisis
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621
    Longshot said:

Longshot said:

That's fine if you are a large company. It's a lot less easy if you are a small company.
  • Longshot

Longshot said:

Longshot said:

That's fine if you are a large company. It's a lot less easy if you are a small company.
    I know. Been there, got the t-shirt. In a previous role I had to deal with 4 coincidental maternity leaves out of a total workforce of 22 people. It's difficult and expensive but not unforeseeable if you have a number of female employees of a certain age.
  • Longshot

Longshot said:

Longshot said:

Not wanting to get bogged down with specific cases, but if you look back at the example I gave earlier, my friend was a police officer. Temporary police officers are not an option.
    And obviously, the more specialised the role, the harder it is to cover.

Not a new phenomenon, here is an article from 2008.
    I would also point out that my friends experience pre dates this article.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/43857/WPC-baby-boom-will-leave-police-in-crisis
    I understand that but organisations still need to plan for these things. It sounds like the police haven't done so in enough depth.
  • rick_chasey

Longshot said:

Longshot said:

The gov't could help soften the blow...