Muddy Commute Bike Options

My commute is mostly along an old railway line with some muddy patches then through a farm and onto a road for a couple of miles. I currently use a pretty old heavy hardtail MTB and am looking for something a bit faster and I'd also like to be able to fit a rack and full mudguards.

What are some good, relatively cheap options? I've been looking at gravel bikes (particularly the voodoo limba) but am open to any bikes that would suit the terrain.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A CX or adventure bike, will take guards and also the slightly wider tyres for stability in mud, you'll also have more scope to have the right tyres for you.

I love my PX London road as it happens.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I got a Boardman ADV 8.8 for a muddy canal commute. Good value (with C2W and BC discount) except the brake pads and chain only lasted 300 miles. Has 40mm tyres on 700c wheels, but I'm thinking about getting 650b/50mm as the mud gets really deep in places.
  • Similar commute, I use a CX bike with full length mudguards, hydraulic disks, and 35mm tyres. And when when bits start breaking replace them with higher range parts which last a LOT longer (eg cheap bottom bracket lasts 900 miles, Ultegra one lasts 4000 miles etc).
  • Your probably not far off the correct bike for your commute with your MTB. As your after good value have a look at a Carrera Subway, got all the bolt fixings for panniers. Also the current versions are 650b so tyre choice would be wide. The 9 speed version with hydro brakes would be best. Granted its not the lightest bike but should be a bit faster than your existing bike if your running sus forks? The Limba looks an ok option aswell if you want to go drop bar.
    For commuting generally, control in mud or traffic I believe flat bars set up are safest with faster reactions braking etc. If you're in a head wind you can still be efficient if you cut down the bar width and fit decent bar ends like the CaneCreek Ergos to get a bit aero'ish!
  • Evans cycles have the Arkose D2 for £820 at the moment which has good tyre clearance and Tiagra Hydraulic disc brakes too which looks very good value compared to anything else I've seen.

I use to have a 17 mile commute to work and did it on my CAADX with mechanical disc brakes and it was spot on for my use. Although from my MTB days I do k ow that hydraulics are far better.
  • I use a PlanetX London Road as my commute bike. Route is half tow path half road, and 10 miles each way, so sounds similar to your route. It's been upgraded over the years, so i am currently running 11speed Ultegra Hydraulic, 30mm Schwalbe G-One Speed tyres and full mud guards.
    The Rival1 version of the bike would make a great commuter, with the right tyres on there.
  • I use a PlanetX London Road as my commute bike. Route is half tow path half road, and 10 miles each way, so sounds similar to your route. It's been upgraded over the years, so i am currently running 11speed Ultegra Hydraulic, 30mm Schwalbe G-One Speed tyres and full mud guards.
    The Rival1 version of the bike would make a great commuter, with the right tyres on there.

G-One speeds are surprisingly capable on light mud. They perform better than they look like they should!
  • denis992 said:

I use a PlanetX London Road as my commute bike. Route is half tow path half road, and 10 miles each way, so sounds similar to your route. It's been upgraded over the years, so i am currently running 11speed Ultegra Hydraulic, 30mm Schwalbe G-One Speed tyres and full mud guards.

G-One speeds are surprisingly capable on light mud. They perform better than they look like they should!
    That is definitely my experience in the mud, and they roll very well on road as well. Expensive (as are all tubeless tyres), but so far worth it!