Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    pblakeney said:

Yes, but the price you pay will be determined by the issuer based on how long they think you will live.
    1 Year, cheap; 10 years expensive.

I get that but it doesn't change the fact that you are being given a proposal for providing you for 'care for life' at a cost. I'm not sure how outliving their estimate is truly a win for the person in care.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,685
    If you are still capable you can rejoice in sticking it to the man. As pyrrhic victories go it's a good'n
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Longshot
    rjsterry said:

If you are still capable you can rejoice in sticking it to the man. As pyrrhic victories go it's a good'n

Sadly I think many people who need care on a long term basis may struggle to remember that they even have a policy.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    It’s definitely better than the flip side where you peg it early and the issuer cashes in.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

It’s definitely better than the flip side where you peg it early and the issuer cashes in.

in that situation I would far rather the issuer finished me off and cashed in
  • rjsterry
    Why? What do you or your family care compared with you being dead? You got looked after properly and didn't have to worry about that stopping before you die.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789

pblakeney said:

in that situation I would far rather the issuer finished me off and cashed in
    Take a trip to Switzerland and save a fortune. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    pblakeney said:

Yes, but the price you pay will be determined by the issuer based on how long they think you will live.
    1 Year, cheap; 10 years expensive.

Still fixed though innit.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    In another thread I mentioned Laurence Fox being taken to task for picking Kier Starmer when asked who he thought would make the best Labour leader. His faux pas was not nominating a woman.
    Here we have Jess Phillips saying it would be embarrassing for Labour not to choose a woman to lead them. Gender is what matters, not ability.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jess-phillips-sky-sophy-ridge-keir-starmer-embarrassing-male-leader-a4338226.html

And before anyone pops up to accuse me of misogyny, I would like to point out that I fervently hope a woman does win.

Come on Becks, you can do it!

• rjsterry

In another thread I mentioned Laurence Fox being taken to task for picking Kier Starmer when asked who he thought would make the best Labour leader. His faux pas was not nominating a woman.
    Here we have Jess Phillips saying it would be embarrassing for Labour not to choose a woman to lead them. Gender is what matters, not ability.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jess-phillips-sky-sophy-ridge-keir-starmer-embarrassing-male-leader-a4338226.html

And before anyone pops up to accuse me of misogyny, I would like to point out that I fervently hope a woman does win.

Here's a thought: if it was purely about ability, there would have already been a few female leaders of each party. That the Labour party still hasn't managed it tells you that it's not just about ability.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Why are we giving female candidates such a priority. There have been two female PM's in the last 30-40 year. Surely we should be going for a ethnic short man who has transitions to a women. I mean that ticks off a good few minorities in one go. Ability is secondary if you follow the current thinking. D
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    rjsterry said:

Here's a thought: if it was purely about ability, there would have already been a few female leaders of each party. That the Labour party still hasn't managed it tells you that it's not just about ability.
    All the main parties have had female leaders apart from one
    The Labour party is misogynist as well as anti semitic?
    And people still vote for them? :o
  • rjsterry
    john80 said:

Why are we giving female candidates such a priority. There have been two female PM's in the last 30-40 year. Surely we should be going for a ethnic short man who has transitions to a women. I mean that ticks off a good few minorities in one go. Ability is secondary if you follow the current thinking. D

Same point to you: it's clearly not just about ability other wise it would be roughly 8 female PMs since WW2.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• john80
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Same point to you: it's clearly not just about ability other wise it would be roughly 8 female PMs since WW2.
    There are less male nurses or primary school teachers than female to pick on two job roles. There must be systematic discrimination in these sectors against men that needs to be routed out and we should not rest until every job within the UK has a demographic within one person of the UK average and we should inspect yearly and sack accordingly.

I think you may be confusing equality of opportunity with equality of outcome. The later is a very dangerous path. See what I did there with your rather dumb logic.
  • rjsterry
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

There are less male nurses or primary school teachers than female to pick on two job roles. There must be systematic discrimination in these sectors against men that needs to be routed out and we should not rest until every job within the UK has a demographic within one person of the UK average and we should inspect yearly and sack accordingly.

I think you may be confusing equality of opportunity with equality of outcome. The later is a very dangerous path. See what I did there with your rather dumb logic.
    Have a think about why women might be over-reprrsented in nursing and primary school teaching.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• john80
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Have a think about why women might be over-reprrsented in nursing and primary school teaching.
    Why are you happy for this injustice but need female labour leader. Go on tell us the answer to the above conundrum. Or is getting a female labour leader the token gesture that the UK needs? Maybe the market should pay men more to the teachers than females and pay females more to be bricklayers than men. Would you support this social engineering to achieve your equal status or is it only for the top jobs this matters.
  • Longshot
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Why are you happy for this injustice but need female labour leader. Go on tell us the answer to the above conundrum. Or is getting a female labour leader the token gesture that the UK needs? Maybe the market should pay men more to the teachers than females and pay females more to be bricklayers than men. Would you support this social engineering to achieve your equal status or is it only for the top jobs this matters.
    There's some fairly obvious reasons why more women may go into teaching or nursing than men. I can't see the similar reasons why more men would naturally be leaders than women?
  • rjsterry said:

john80 said:

well we have chosen one third of of leaders from Eton so that does not help. Maybe we could decide that Eton has had it's quota of PMs until an equal number of state school educated leaders and or women have been elected PM
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

well we have chosen one third of of leaders from Eton so that does not help. Maybe we could decide that Eton has had it's quota of PMs until an equal number of state school educated leaders and or women have been elected PM
    Even just one that went to Harrow and then Cambridge would seriously up the diversity.
  • john80
    Longshot said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

There's some fairly obvious reasons why more women may go into teaching or nursing than men. I can't see the similar reasons why more men would naturally be leaders than women?
    If you can see the obvious reasons why women may go into teaching or nursing then your are not using your imagination to see why they might not want to be politicians of CEO's, assuming these are roles that you class as leading. Long periods away from family and friends, long works hours, highly competitive and adversarial occupations. For example there are now more women doctors under 35 in America than male so maybe they are happy with the long hours if there is some sort of job satisfaction that aligns with their values. I imagine if I researched UK university figures for medicine I would find the same trend.
  • Labour does not elect female leaders because there are no candidates
  • rjsterry
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Nobody accuses male nurses of being there as a token gesture. Likewise male primary school teachers.

If a job requires working hours that are only suitable for people who have someone else to look after their children, then there isn't equality of opportunity.

And you'll have a hard time arguing that party leaders get the job on merit, especially given Labour's previous choice.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631

Labour does not elect female leaders because there are no candidates

Lisa Nandy?
  • john80
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Nobody accuses male nurses of being there as a token gesture. Likewise male primary school teachers.

If a job requires working hours that are only suitable for people who have someone else to look after their children, then there isn't equality of opportunity.

And you'll have a hard time arguing that party leaders get the job on merit, especially given Labour's previous choice.
    Was Margaret Thatcher or Theresa May there as a token gesture. If you point is specifically about the Labour party then I am all ears as to how women are being prejudiced against. Corbyn did get their on merit. He was chosen by the members of the Labour party as the guy that was closest to their interests. The fact he was rubbish as an opposition leader is the Labour members problem who voted for him.

In terms of childcare whilst it is true that when sitting MP's are expected to work late on the 4 days per week that Westminister sits for. If you include the times they are recessed then they technically get more holiday than a school teacher. As with most professional occupations if you want a job then you either have to arrange childcare or have a supporting other half that takes up the slack. It should be noted that women could choose not to have children or become an MP when the children are teenagers where the occasional late night is not such a drama unless you are Abbots child and need a curfew to stop you getting banged up for assaulting coppers. Your drive for the equality of outcome is clouding your thinking.
  • john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Was Margaret Thatcher or Theresa May there as a token gesture. If you point is specifically about the Labour party then I am all ears as to how women are being prejudiced against. Corbyn did get their on merit. He was chosen by the members of the Labour party as the guy that was closest to their interests. The fact he was rubbish as an opposition leader is the Labour members problem who voted for him.

In terms of childcare whilst it is true that when sitting MP's are expected to work late on the 4 days per week that Westminister sits for. If you include the times they are recessed then they technically get more holiday than a school teacher. As with most professional occupations if you want a job then you either have to arrange childcare or have a supporting other half that takes up the slack. It should be noted that women could choose not to have children or become an MP when the children are teenagers where the occasional late night is not such a drama unless you are Abbots child and need a curfew to stop you getting banged up for assaulting coppers. Your drive for the equality of outcome is clouding your thinking.
    If there was equality, all your points would equally apply to men.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    So you think things like the persistent pay gap are justified? Just wanna make this crystal clear.
  • Longshot
    edited January 2020

So you think things like the persistent pay gap are justified? Just wanna make this crystal clear.

On an aside, I'm staggered that this still seems to be a thing. How can any company decide to pay a woman less than a man for doing the same job as a practice?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522
    Longshot said:

On an aside, I'm staggered that this still seems to be a thing. How can any company decide to pay a woman less than a man for doing the same job as a practice?
    That's the thing - the gender pay gap that companies are reporting on is not looking at different pay rates for the same job. This is what it is:
    "The gender pay gap is the difference between the average hourly earnings of a company’s male and female employees. If an organisation has, for example, a 5% gender pay gap it means that women earn an average of 5% less per hour (excluding overtime) than men, or in other words the average female employee would earn 95p for every £1 earned by a male employee."

So within an organisation (as I see it) any gap is mainly down to men being in more senior/better paid roles than women.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Longshot
    edited January 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Longshot said:

That's the thing - the gender pay gap that companies are reporting on is not looking at different pay rates for the same job. This is what it is:
    "The gender pay gap is the difference between the average hourly earnings of a company’s male and female employees. If an organisation has, for example, a 5% gender pay gap it means that women earn an average of 5% less per hour (excluding overtime) than men, or in other words the average female employee would earn 95p for every £1 earned by a male employee."

So within an organisation (as I see it) any gap is mainly down to men being in more senior/better paid roles than women.

OK, that I have no real problem with )assuming that the cause is not a gender based glass ceiling).
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522
    Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

Longshot said:

OK, that I have no real problem with )assuming that the cause is not a gender based glass ceiling).
    It's going to be different for each organisation. And likely to have multiple causes also.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]