Annual Tour of Britain doesn't come past my house thread, 2020

A few of the stages have been announced. Starts in Penzance (to Bodmin), for the first visit to Cornwall.

Stage 2 in Devon, finish in Exeter.

Stage 8 - final - finishes in Aberdeen.

None of the stage announced so far come past my house, though to be fair, I live in Denmark.

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    It's a great course if you live near Coming Soon
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    and they are repeating going to Coming soon for 5 stages of the Women's Tour ;) stage 6 however will be all Suffolk based Haverhill to Felixstowe https://www.womenstour.co.uk/stages/stage-6/ with rumours of an Oxfordshire based stage as well, but with no main sponsor yet since Ovo left the scene.
  • That last stage is very intriguing. What route will stage seven take to get them up to Aberdeenshire? Ski station finishes could be on the cards...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

That last stage is very intriguing. What route will stage seven take to get them up to Aberdeenshire? Ski station finishes could be on the cards...

ToB in "actually comes past my house" shocker... well, somewhere near anyway.
    Yes, definitely looking forward to seeing what the route is. I would reckon the Lecht would be the best ski sation finish? Although it would really, really depress me to see how short and easy the pros would make them all look.
  • Finish will be in Aberdeen. They have done a deal with Aberdeen city council.

Thinking they may come over the Cairn O Mount in the way to Aberdeen. That will be an interesting route. May well go up there to see them suffering on the steep bits.?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Yep, finish in Aberdeen, therefore more or less downhill... but what chance of an MTF the day before? Slim, I guess, but...
  • Got to say cornwall to Aberdeenshire is ambitious though
  • Dundee to Aberdeen via Cairn O Mount is feasible, with a tweaked Glasgow to Perth stage similar to last year's Women's Tour of Scotland the day before. Could the dreaded Caird Hall to the Law TT be back in the game after a 31 year absence? Probably not, but it's nice to dream...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agRLRYZER6o
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

That last stage is very intriguing. What route will stage seven take to get them up to Aberdeenshire? Ski station finishes could be on the cards...

ToB in "actually comes past my house" shocker... well, somewhere near anyway.
    Yes, definitely looking forward to seeing what the route is. I would reckon the Lecht would be the best ski sation finish? Although it would really, really depress me to see how short and easy the pros would make them all look.
    I would have thought Cairmgorm has the best infrastructure for a stage finish but obviously is further away... and not steep enough to cause any issues. I always wanted to see a race on the old 3 Pistes Sportive route, starting Pitlochry and finishing at Cairngorm.

The downhill run from Glenshee to Aberdeen is a bit boring. A route coming over Glenshee, Lecht, and Cairn o Mount then Aberdeen would be possibly doable but probably too long, and the long flat run in would kill any excitement. They won't descend the Lecht to the south either since that's the really steep side so itll have to be ascended from the south with a descent towards Tomintoul.

Might be time to dig out my partly "cobbled" Aberdeen centre world champs circuit from that thread a few years ago. They won't do anything that fun though, although potentially a few city centre circuits with an uphill finish on Union Street could be on the cards? Rather than just coming in from out of town and finishing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200

Got to say cornwall to Aberdeenshire is ambitious though

Yeah, furthest North they've ever been, coupled with the furthest SW they've ever been (first Cornwall visit). They'll only be at Exeter after two stage.

I see some fairly long transfers coming up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I notice Aberdeen Council have signed a two year deal with the ToB and it'll host the Grand Depart in 2021 as well.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ToB stage starting in Stonehaven and definitely going over Cairn o'Mount. Looking forward to seeing them absolutely demolish my old strava times!
  • It's going to be an interesting stage. Who knows where they'll go after they've descended to Strachan (if they take the right fork that is). Dundee or Perth must be in with a shout for the finish the day before.