Specialized Allez Sprint sizing

noele
noele Posts: 4
edited November 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello,

Some months ago I started doing some crit races. I'm sure that sooner or later I'll crash a have been looking for a second hand bike. Both the Cannondale Caad and the Specialized Allez sprint are my favourites.

I can get a really really good deal on a 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp. The only thing is that it's a size 54. I'm 5'10 (179 cm) and have an inseam of 35" (90cm).

The question is if it will fit or should I pass and keep looking for a bigger size.

Thx for your advice

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited November 2019
    Much will depend on the kind of fit you are after. But in general, the stem can be swapped for longer/shorter and the saddle can be adjusted for height, so yes, it will fit.
  • With a 35" inseam at 5'10 you must be all legs! Your overall height isn't far over ideal for a 54 but with legs that long you'll end up with a rather big saddle to bar drop. So it would be a super aggressive position and the bike would probably feel really easy to manoeuvre, but might seem twitchy. If that suits your riding style then it might be a great deal. You could always get longer reach and make it less twitchy by putting on a longer stem, but if you run into any actual 'too small' issues I predict it would be down to not being able to get the bars up high enough for your ideal riding position.
    Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    edited November 2019
    FWIW, I am also 5ft 10, and have a 34" inseam, so you must have an even shorter torso than me!

I used to struggle a bit with bikes and fitting them, but have found a 545 top tube is pretty much ideal for me, so am in fact in the process of buying a 54cm 2020 version of the Allez Elite.
    I've also improved my flexibiluty hugely, and this has helped me a lot.
    I used to ride inline seatpost with 90mm inverted stems, but can now ride setback seatposts, correctly fittes stems, and also of a 110mm length.

I think you need to be fairly flexible to handle the saddle to bar drop is all I would say, but I did read that the more recent iteration (from 2018 on I think) does have a slightly taller headtube that previous versions, and is a bit more upright, so this will hopefully negate it for you, and I'm confident it will for me.

IF you are flexible, and your reach is similar or atad less than me, dependent on flexibility and arm length I guess, then I suspect you would fit with a 100mm stem.

Do let us know how you get on.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm the same height - no idea of my inseam - but I ride a 56 Allez - which fits me fine.
    I ride it with the stock stem and seat post.

I don't race - but if I did I'd probably be looking for a lower front end - which could be achieved with the 54 frame.
  • gdf
    gdf Posts: 26
    I'm 5'8" and race on a 2018 54 Sprint. It's a small 54 if that makes sense. My other bikes are 52s and this feels no bigger than them. I'm even going to put a longer stem on it.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out in person if you're worried about it.
  • noele
    edited November 2019
    Yes I have an odd leg/torso ratio. Luckily I'm quite flexible. I allready have a Canyon Ultimate in size medium, and this also has quite a big saddle to bar drop. So I'm used to it, just that on the Allez the drop probably will be even bigger.

I decided I could not go wrong with this deal and go for it. I'll take the bike to a local fitter soon and if too many adjustments have to be made, or a good fit is just not possible I'll just sell on the frame and get a size 56.

Thx for all your advice

• noele
    Quick update.
    Been to a bike fitter and the size 54 is the correct size for me.

Since then, with the help of a friend, the Shimano 105 5800 chainset, front and rear derailleur have been replaced and the wheels have been swopped for some carbon Edco wheels.

What do you think of the result?

• The silver and block combo looks awesome! specially with those wheels.

How are you finding the fit now you're had it a few weeks?

Was it anything in particular that made you and the bike fitter decide on a 54?
    I'm almost identical height and inseam to you and having trouble picking between a 54 or 56 Specialized Tarmac.