wednesday dawns with a soggy thud

'ning

off to gmc this morning, sigh

much coffee, need to decide what to replace mince pies with, then maybe check emails, really not in the mood for it today
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, dry at the moment, Tigger walked , kettle on cannot make up my mind tea or coffee
    Wallpaper stripped hopefully the plasterer will turn up this week and skim the walls, besides that I might get out on the bike
    Have a good day
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    Still very soggy here but at least the wind has died down. On train into town and will ride home after ditching the bike in town last night - probably the right decision with hindsight as it was properly windy on the way back.

Junior should hear back from at least one uni today, maybe 2, so keeping my fingers crossed for her.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Weather's dried up here and it's forecasting a day of sunshine so of course I'm in the office all day.
    Will take a wander down to Evans to enquire about new bike forks at lunchtime if I'm still awake.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Soggy thud or just a squelch of mud?

Very wet here an grey not raining just plenty of standing water. Normal morning adult activities completed now sat at work awaiting some reports to spit out the data I need to get on.
    Now slurp coffee loudly to annoy people.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Bright and breezy here, mtb after work. Today will be spent answering insurance questions from auditors, and trying to work out if I should build a road or not.

For the car people on here, I spent a small amount of yesterday revving the balls off a DBS Superleggera, unfortunately not trusted enough to actually get onto the public road though...
  • step83
    haydenm said:

Bright and breezy here, mtb after work. Today will be spent answering insurance questions from auditors, and trying to work out if I should build a road or not.

For the car people on here, I spent a small amount of yesterday revving the balls off a DBS Superleggera, unfortunately not trusted enough to actually get onto the public road though...

Jealous, the headoffice isn't a million miles from me (probably about 10 actually) so we see quite a few round here.

LBS text me tyres for the 650b wheels I've made turned up, no tubes though so that is fun! May have to try this tubeless lark, wit hear defenders going on recent problems on here.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    step83 said:

haydenm said:

Jealous, the headoffice isn't a million miles from me (probably about 10 actually) so we see quite a few round here.

LBS text me tyres for the 650b wheels I've made turned up, no tubes though so that is fun! May have to try this tubeless lark, wit hear defenders going on recent problems on here.
    I had a crack at the tubeless thing on some old wheels I've been using for ages. Took perhaps a little more sealant that the recommended amount, but not much, and it worked easy-peasy. Impressed. Three weeks later the tyres still holding excellent pressure.

Shame the bike I did them for is now in a million pieces because the frame pivot bearings are farked and I don't have a proper press tool for them. LBS somewhere soon. Grrrr.

More DIY day today. Serious smoke haze blew in overnight from over on the mainland, but otherwise a rather nice day. One final coat of paint on a few things in the morning and that job is over.. finally. My neck will be pleased to see the end of it!

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • thistle_

Shame the bike I did them for is now in a million pieces because the frame pivot bearings are farked and I don't have a proper press tool for them. LBS somewhere soon. Grrrr.

I have a nut and bolt with some thick washers and use an old bearing to press the old one in and out. This works for all but 1 of the bearings on my Spark.

• step83

I have a nut and bolt with some thick washers and use an old bearing to press the old one in and out. This works for all but 1 of the bearings on my Spark.

Yup I use that my headset press with washers or I have the right cups for some long as the pressures even over the other edge of the bearing it goes in fine. usually put some wet chain lube in then just as its about to seat ill drop some semi permanent loctite in to stop them creaking.
  • thistle_
    sungod said:

'ning

much coffee, need to decide what to replace mince pies with, then maybe check emails, really not in the mood for it today

M&S Best Ever Mice pies are reduced to 50p each if you haven't found a replacement yet.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Work meh offset by hybrid commute - though looks a decent headwind on the return journey

Later may actually get to go out in the wife’s new car
  • sungod said:

'ning

M&S Best Ever Mice pies are reduced to 50p each if you haven't found a replacement yet.
    Great, I'll get some for the cats.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    Not riding last night was probably a good idea Stevo, it was a bit grim. Very wet this morning but blue sky out there now. Tomorrow should be dry as I have to MOT the old dear's motor.
    Another busy day here, helps the time pass at least. After mince pies it's hot cross buns Shirley. My wife likes cross buns as she doesn't toast them which is just plain wrong, I mean the clue is in the name.
    Today being Wednesday I will of course be visiting a pub later. The usual hostelry is having their wine evening so as it will be full of people drinking fruit juice we have to go elsewhere, luckily there is plenty of choice.
    onwards and upwards...
  • thistle_

After mince pies it's hot cross buns Shirley. My wife likes cross buns as she doesn't toast them which is just plain wrong, I mean the clue is in the name.

Mince pies
    Chocolates
    Steak
    Hot X buns
    Whatever you eat for Eurovision

Cold hot cross buns sound disgusting, definitely need toasting or at least warming up.
  • Stevo_666

Afternoon folks,
    Not riding last night was probably a good idea Stevo, it was a bit grim. Very wet this morning but blue sky out there now.

Ride home tonight was fine.

The atmosphere at Stevo Towers is a bit subdued as Stropteen got a rejection email from Cambridge and she hasn't taken it very well. Luckily she has the presence of mind to press on with sorting out her accommodation preferences and an 'offer holders intro day' at Liverpool. Still waiting on Bristol.

And to cap it all off I found out today that Hot Marketing Girl is leaving for a better job.

What a day...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    @stevo666 that’s a bummer. Hope the other options come through.
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2020

Thanks WS. It's not too bad, even if nothing else comes through Liverpool is a good uni - but you know what kids can be like when they set their hearts on something. Just don't fancy parking my car there if I drive her to and from.

She'd set herself an extremely high bar by making her top choice one of the most sought after unis and one of the most difficult courses to get onto. So there was always a fair risk of disappointment.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Get the grades and reapply?
  • tlw1

Plus potato
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    She 'loses' a year, but can go and stick her hands up cow's bums, or volunteer as a vet nurse assistant to prove her interest. Only if cantab is a must though.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

It was the interviews hurdle she fell at, so that would be a risky strategy. But I think she'll take Liverpool if she gets the grades (they want 3 A's which thankfully she is predicted to get).
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2020
    tlw1 said:

Plus potato
    Thanks - just waiting on Bristol which would be a good 'un as well. Any more than 2 offers is a waste.

The downside of Cambridge which I'm not sure she fully appreciated was they work you like a dog (based on what the daughters of two mates reckon).
  • Wheelspinner
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

It was the interviews hurdle she fell at, so that would be a risky strategy. But I think she'll take Liverpool if she gets the grades (they want 3 A's which thankfully she is predicted to get).
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

Wondered if that was it, was that the interview she thought had gone badly?

On a happy note (for us anyway) sitting here at brekky looking at lovely rain. 😀
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

Wondered if that was it, was that the interview she thought had gone badly?

On a happy note (for us anyway) sitting here at brekky looking at lovely rain. 😀
    Quite possibly.

Also the other 2 interviews that she thought went pretty well may not have gone relatively well compared to the others they saw. We'll never know, as all you get is an email basically saying 'Sorry you were unsuccessful' with no reasons given.

Rain, we know all about that...
  • Wheelspinner
    Its only a bit of a shower but since we’ve had virtually zero since November it is quite welcome...
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

She 'loses' a year, but can go and stick her hands up cow's bums, or volunteer as a vet nurse assistant to prove her interest. Only if cantab is a must though.

She'd already done the required amount of practical as some places stated clearly what you needed. Also she's not keen on losing a year when the course itself is 5-6 years.

Cambridge was a bit different but maybe they were looking for a certain type - like those who have pretty much already done the pre-clinical study in their spare time.

Also I'm sure I could manage the odd night out in Scouseville should the revised plan A come to pass.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195

They need it North of you.

DBS Superleggera - fugly, over priced.
    VFM: Porker GT3 RS. 0-60 in 3.0 secs, top speed 193 £125k

DBS Superleggera: Slower...though slightly quicker top end - (bear in mind the Porker is restricted to 193mph)....'from' £225k

I know which one I would want.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2020
    pinno said:

DBS Superleggera: Slower...though slightly quicker top end - (bear in mind the Porker is restricted to 193mph)....'from' £225k

Ditto, the problem is you can't actually buy a GT3 RS for that price unless you're good mates with your local Porsche centre. The classified ads for GT3 RS's are a bit eye-watering.

(Thought the list price was about £140k for the RS btw?).
  • tlw1
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Ditto, the problem is you can't actually buy a GT3 RS for that price unless you're good mates with your local Porsche centre. The classified ads for GT3 RS's are a bit eye-watering.

My old boss is on the Porsche gravy train, bought every special for the last 10 years and then lends them back to the Porsche garage for events, oh and buys any cars they need to get rid off - wonder if it’s all connected
  • Stevo_666
    tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

My old boss is on the Porsche gravy train, bought every special for the last 10 years and then lends them back to the Porsche garage for events, oh and buys any cars they need to get rid off - wonder if it’s all connected
    Sounds like a some sort of scam, but one that I'd like to be in on.