Scot Indy Ref #2

Who is in favour of giving our blue face painted neighbours another referendum on independence?

From my point of view. As it concerns the 'Union', I believe it should be a referendum for the whole union to consider and vote on.

Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    They'd probably have a good chance of winning it that way.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Longshot said:

They'd probably have a good chance of winning it that way.

That's where my viewpoint comes from.
    I think there is a wind of change north of the border now and giving the whole of the UK the opportunity to excercise their democratic right is the only correct way forward.

Just so long as it's done in next couple of months and we can let them go before they host COP26 in November. They can then experience what it's like to pick up the tab.😅
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 452
    No no no!

The once in a generation vote, agreed by all sides, was to remain part of the UK. The SNP agreed to this.

The SNP have no mandate to force another vote on us. In the latest GE, the majority in Scotland actually voted for the other parties.

This is getting really tedious now. The SNP need to do what they were elected to do, run this country.
  • mr_goo
    roscoe said:

No no no!

The once in a generation vote, agreed by all sides, was to remain part of the UK. The SNP agreed to this.

The SNP have no mandate to force another vote on us. In the latest GE, the majority in Scotland actually voted for the other parties.

This is getting really tedious now. The SNP need to do what they were elected to do, run this country.

So why are the majority of Scottish MPs from SNP?
    I did have a hunch that the majority of right minded Scots were against independence but we never hear their voice.
    All we ever get is Jimmy Krankie's diatribe.
    And as for the SNP running a country. Not doing that great a job by all accounts.
  • Because the SNP Get their vote out where it matters under the electoral system, FPTP in Westminster elections. Tories got a big majority but more voted for other parties I believe across the whole of the UK. Same issue with FPTP system. I'm sure you know.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I get the feeling a sizable portion of SNP voters don't actually want independence either, a strong voice for Scotland in Westminster is no bad thing. It suits the SNP to be vocal, but it suits BoJo to keep them in rather than face more Labour seats at the next election. If he keeps Scotland and the north fairly happy he'll win the next election too.

This is part of the plan anyway, ask for another ref, get turned down, then use it as a political stick for a few years until something changes. Currently I don't think the polls suggest majority support, they only ticked into positive right at the height of BoJo proroguing parliament. I predict a steady drop in support over the next few years.

Also, it might just be that I work in finance and investment ~80% in Scotland but it strikes me that the missing link is the lack of currency planning. Keeping the GBP frankly means Scotland wouldn't be independent.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    roscoe said:

No no no!

"It's the will of the people" !!
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Isn't indyref2 about distracting from the SNP performance in government north of the border?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Isn't indyref2 about distracting from the SNP performance in government north of the border?

Not really - the Nats and their supporters are so fixated on independence that they simply don't care how badly they are governing.
    I teach, and Scottish education used to be the envy of the world. Not any more.
    Overall the SNP's actual governing philosophy is mainly "anything which makes us look a different and less nasty bunch than those horrible people to the south", but the soft left nanny-statism that it amounts to in practice is not very effective for much.
  • mr_goo said:

Who is in favour of giving our blue face painted neighbours another referendum on independence?

From my point of view. As it concerns the 'Union', I believe it should be a referendum for the whole union to consider and vote on.

Map it to Brexit, and England/Wales/NI is the rest of the EU in that scenario.
  • bompington
    The whole neverendum thing is a big issue as far as I'm concerned.

Brexit has set the bar for this: the idea that to make a massive upheaval you just have to sneak over the line in one vote is ridiculous. But the SNP's idea that you just keep trying until one day you get lucky is even worse.

But hey, perhaps we can start having referendums every year to ask us if we want to reverse the decisions?

Anyway, the SNP's claim that because they won a majority of seats it means the population wants independence is, as we say round here, mince. Opinion polls persistently show roughly the same majority against independence as there has been for years.
  • Is it right that a Tory government in Westminster has decision rights on Scottish independence? The Torys in Scotland campaigned for the Union saying a vote for us is a vote for no referendum. They lost a heap of seats and now only have 6 mps in Scotland. Surely it is up to the Scottish people to decide not up to BJ?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Have to say I am torn.

Part of me says let them go if they are going to be perpetually so grudging and ungrateful. Part of me says they signed up to a 'once in a generation' referendum on the subject so they need to live with the decision.

However, I think the tie breaker that swings it for me against another referendum is how much it will p!$$ off Wee Jimmy Krankie.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Got any nice graphs to show how pissed off Krankie is against how happy she would be?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158

Got any nice graphs to show how pissed off Krankie is against how happy she would be?

If only it would be possible to predict that...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,231
    Whatever argument I had for being anti Brexit is quite easy to recycle for anti independence.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,592

Whatever argument I had for being anti Brexit is quite easy to recycle for anti independence.

Quite. All arguments pro and con are nigh on identical.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,231
    Apart from the whole member of the EU bit.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,592
    I think you misunderstood me.
    Arguments for Indy = for Brexit.
    Arguments against Indy = against Brexit.
    I’m not defining independence.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    It may be interesting to ask why a Scottish Independence referendum should meet different criteria than that agreed for NI in the GFA

POLLS FOR THE PURPOSE OF SECTION 1
    1. The Secretary of State may by order direct the holding of a poll for the
    purposes of section 1 on a date specified in the order.
    2. Subject to paragraph 3, the Secretary of State shall exercise the power
    under paragraph 1 if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of
    those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be
    part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland.
    3. The Secretary of State shall not make an order under paragraph 1 earlier
    than seven years after the holding of a previous poll under this Schedule.

Brexit has led to a debate in NI as to what meets the criteria of "appears likely to him" and what a "majority" is.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Stevo_666 said:

Have to say I am torn.

Part of me says let them go if they are going to be perpetually so grudging and ungrateful. Part of me says they signed up to a 'once in a generation' referendum on the subject so they need to live with the decision.

However, I think the tie breaker that swings it for me against another referendum is how much it will p!$$ off Wee Jimmy Krankie.

Surely the point is that it is only the SNP that keeps this in the news and a majority of the general population don't want to leave the union.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bompington

Brexit has led to a debate in NI as to what meets the criteria of "appears likely to him" and what a "majority" is.

"Appears likely" can only mean that opinion polls show nationalist>unionist
    "majority" - well there is certainly some scope for discussion, I personally think that a "50% of the votes + 1" majority isn't enough for a referendum on major constitutional issues with major long term consequences.

At least some effort has been made to be make a sensible plan and to make it clear, unlike in Scotland (or Brexit for that matter)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    mr_goo said:

Following that rationale, the whole of the EU membership should have had a vote on whether the UK could leave.
  • mr_goo
    Pross said:

mr_goo said:

Following that rationale, the whole of the EU membership should have had a vote on whether the UK could leave.
    That's a fair comment. However one could take that further and say there should have been an EU wide referendum with 3 options per country. Disbanding the current structure and authority the EU has/ Leave and never come back/ Stay because it's perfect the way it is.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    mr_goo said:

Pross said:

mr_goo said:

That's a fair comment. However one could take that further and say there should have been an EU wide referendum with 3 options per country. Disbanding the current structure and authority the EU has/ Leave and never come back/ Stay because it's perfect the way it is.
    Which rather leads one to the conclusion that referendums are a terrible way for nations to go about their business.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bompington
    Out of interest, who has ever said the EU is perfect the way it is, or that that is the reason for remaining in it?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,250

Out of interest, who has ever said the EU is perfect the way it is, or that that is the reason for remaining in it?

Nobody, but leavers have made it quite clear they don’t like facts.
  • Brexit has led to a debate in NI as to what meets the criteria of "appears likely to him" and what a "majority" is.

"Appears likely" can only mean that opinion polls show nationalist>unionist
    "majority" - well there is certainly some scope for discussion, I personally think that a "50% of the votes + 1" majority isn't enough for a referendum on major constitutional issues with major long term consequences.

At least some effort has been made to be make a sensible plan and to make it clear, unlike in Scotland (or Brexit for that matter)
    A majority of the total electorate (not votes cast) would seem to be reasonable.

EU membership would be a material change so i would let them have second ref.
  • My opinion has not changed. Losers need to learn to respect votes they lose.
  • The whole argument is there has been a major change from the last Indy ref. We were told the only way to stay in the EU is to vote remain. If we went independent the EU wouldn’t have us or it would take years to gain entry.

The majority of Scottish voters voted to remain in the EU during the EU referendum.

As long as Scotland remain in the UK we have very little say on anything as we only have >10% of the votes. So we get dragged out of the EU against our will and get Tory governments we don’t vote for. The only way to have our own say is to be independent or to have some form of federal government relationship.