Tokyowheels - anyone got a set? Viable Hunt alternative?

Has anyone had any experience of Tokyowheels, I have stumbled across them in the past but don't seem to be able to find any independent reviews on them. I know they are Chinese carbon rims but they look ok spec wise and seem to have a pretty robust satisfaction policy (free returns). I was considering Hunt Wheels, trying to work out whether they are at the same level or not. Any thoughts appreciated.
Allez
Brompton
Krypton
T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I don't know anything about Tokyowheels but Hunt wheels are also effectively Chinese carbon rims. Very well marketed though, so well marketed that I have a pair which are really good wheels and I've been very happy with them but probably no better than loads of the competition.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Buy some handbuilt wheels from somewhere like wheelsmith.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Ces sell reasonable priced carbon wheels, I don’t have a pair so cannot comment on them, but quite a few of the club members do they seem well built and very robust, might be worth a look https://www.ces-sport.co.uk/
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    +1 for the cycle clinic
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    I should add I have a pair of Cycleclinic 50mm Carbon tubeless wheels with IRC Formula Pro tyres, which are fantastic.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    For handbuilt carbon wheels Spokesman are pretty competitive on price.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited January 2020
    I brought some Tokyowheels carbon 38mm tubulars with 240 hubs in 2015 when they had a 365 day test ride, full refund return plus 10% cashback - that was a deal that was too good to last.

I fully intended to thrash them for a year and then return them and get a new set, however, I was so impressed with the wheels after a year that I kept them.

The reason being that I return them, and then buy an inferior set of rims as a replacement, maybe a set that didn't brake as well in the wet for instance - as by then they had cut the return time to 65 days.

I continued to ride them until 2019, summer and winter, until I finally wore out the rims - probably had the best part of 30,000 miles out of them.

Great product, although, I believe they use FarSports rims which can be obtained cheaper by going direct to them... now that Tokyowheels no longer offer a 365 day return I can see no reason not to buy direct from FarSports.
  • Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I've gone for some Hunt Carbon 36s, simply because they are local. To be honest I find it tricky to find any big difference between wheels these days. Most seem pretty happy with what they get, which shows how quality has gone up over the years. I currently use old 15c Fulcrum 3s and just wanted a wider rim to fit 28c that will run tubeless. So hopefully the Hunt's will fit this bill. Most complaints against Hunt seem to be based on them being "good at marketing" rather than any fault with the wheels themselves!
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......