Keeping a GoPro lens raindrop free?

RedClip
RedClip Posts: 110
edited December 2019 in Road general
What would you recommend for keeping the front lens (cover) free from rain?
Are there any household products that would do the job, maybe GT85 or would you stick to something like Rain-X for plastics?

Thank you.

Comments

• Is your GP a newer case free edition? If so, and you don't have one already, get a tempered glass lens protector (and one for the back screen too while you're at it). Rain = grit.

I've started using Muc Off Anti-Fog Treatment on lenses. It works brilliantly and doesn't leave a noticeable residue.
  • RedClip
    edited January 2020

Is your GP a newer case free edition? If so, and you don't have one already, get a tempered glass lens protector (and one for the back screen too while you're at it). Rain = grit.

I've started using Muc Off Anti-Fog Treatment on lenses. It works brilliantly and doesn't leave a noticeable residue.

Thank you for the help :)
    It's a 7 Black.

I've seen one review on Amazon UK, saying the MO anti-fog spray doesn't work when it rains. It creates a smeary mess.
    Is that true?
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    How about Rain X?
  • RedClip

How about Rain X?

Yes, that seems the only option, but I didn't want to buy a bottle of the stuff and it last me 50 years, because I only needed 1/2 teaspoon worth per week.

I was hoping someone had a homemade recipe.
    Something like water, vinegar, a bat's eyebrow and a werewolf's toenail, all brewed up at 12 midnight on the night of a full moon :)
    (or maybe that's the ultimate chain cleaner?).
  • Have you not used RainX for its intended use? It's great!

Turtle Wax do an alternative which IIRC is slightly cheaper.

I really must remember to treat my lens for skiing as droplets really ruin a clip.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • RedClip

Have you not used RainX for its intended use? It's great!

Turtle Wax do an alternative which IIRC is slightly cheaper.

I really must remember to treat my lens for skiing as droplets really ruin a clip.

Thanks for your help :)

Is it best to use the "for plastics" version or would the "for glass" version be suitable too?
    I was thinking, if I'm buying a bottle of the stuff and only need a small amount.
    I might as well use it on the car windscreen as well.
    But I'm not sure if you can "get away" with using the "for plastics" or "for glass" versions on anything.
  • sevenw
    sevenw Posts: 4
    You can use for plastic on glass but defo not vice versa! Rain X for glass has some pretty potent solvents, drop that on paintwork on a car and leave it, it will etch.
    Also a real bad point on hydrophobic coatings on glass is that they only work if there is a steady windflow over the surface. If you ever try coating your cars wing mirrors and then it rains you will only see multitudes of tight beaded droplets , because there is no windflow. Best bet is try to find a hydrophillic or water sheeting coating.
    If push comes to shove on the go pro take the easy route and just put a real light coat of car wax on and give it a go, and ride real fast to keep the beads blowing off the lense.
  • RedClip
    sevenw said:

You can use for plastic on glass but defo not vice versa! Rain X for glass has some pretty potent solvents, drop that on paintwork on a car and leave it, it will etch.
    Also a real bad point on hydrophobic coatings on glass is that they only work if there is a steady windflow over the surface. If you ever try coating your cars wing mirrors and then it rains you will only see multitudes of tight beaded droplets , because there is no windflow. Best bet is try to find a hydrophillic or water sheeting coating.
    If push comes to shove on the go pro take the easy route and just put a real light coat of car wax on and give it a go, and ride real fast to keep the beads blowing off the lense.

Great stuff. Thank you very much for your help :)