Comments

• It's a sign... the end of the world is near
    left the forum March 2023
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    They have just reappeared, lifes good.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Do people still bother with Strava segments?
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    joe2019 said:

This.

PP
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    its nice to keep track of how rubbish I've got, so was a bit weirded out by this. but yeah its back, so hopefully it'll be ok....
  • joe2019 said:

Categorised uphill segments are a good way to track fitness if you don't own a power meter. Other segments are just a distraction
  • philbar72
    the results are in. I've been doing too many steady rides :)
  • philbar72 said:

the results are in. I've been doing too many steady rides :)

it's always a trade off between doing the boring 20 mile loop full on to show how fast you are or doing the more meaningful 70 mile ride at a more conservative pace... I always prefer the latter
  • stn5
    stn5 Posts: 44
    Judging by twitter they had some sort of outage in their segment matching service as a lot of users experienced it on Sunday. I don't usually care so much about the segments but I had pressed on up Box Hill that day and was eager to know the time as I hadn't hit lap button on the Garmin.
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    local lad to me who i don't know but follow on Strava but he just goes out trying his best on certain segments just to get the KOM and makes up his own little routes on roads so he can get the KOM
  • philbar72
    each to their own I say. with wintry conditions you don't generally go quicker. I'm so lazy nowadays, that I won't attack a hill unless there is a tailwind.... :)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I think segments are useful but as Ugo says these days it's more for tracking individual fitness or a personal challenge rather than getting a KOM. I mean any worthwhile KOM is so tough these days that to get it you'd have to be good enough that you really should have bigger fish to fry than be bothered about them. Last time I went for one I got in behind a lorry (by accident rather than design) on the A6 travelling about 35mph for a few miles between two towns - still ended up 4th - I guess the top 3 were behind a faster lorry :/
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

... travelling about 35mph for a few miles between two towns - still ended up 4th - I guess the top 3 were behind a faster lorry :/

I went for a ride the other day and at the end picked up the car from where it had been abandoned at a party the night before and drove home. Did the old forget-to-end-strava thing. Still didn't get any KOMs.

Seriously, Strava is what it is, and I can't see why anyone gets uptight about it.
    As a non-competitive cyclist who nonetheless wants to get fitter - and stay as fit as possible as I get older and older - I recognise that high intensity intervals are the way to go, and pushing it on strava segments means I can do that in a casual, fun and motivating way - certainly more enjoyable than dreary turbo sessions. Of course it's probably not optimum training, and proves absolutely nothing about how "fast" I am relative to anyone else, but it motivates me and passes the time on my way to work.

PS long way to work this morning, 41km, 30 segments, 6 PRs :D
    looking forward to the return, when I'm not expecting a lot more into a force 8 headwind... :#
  • Speaking of segments... I once created one roughly 22 km long, as part of my BRUM 200 Audax... the chances of anyone taking the same set of roads before the Audax would be quite slim, I thought...
    I don't think I ever got close to the top 10... :D
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    I managed to get first place (for that day) on a segment early one morning. It lasted for about an hour.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Almost, but didn't quite, get a PR the other morning... on ice, with studded tyres, wearing full winter gear.

Still, personal 2nd place* isn't bad

*out of 2 :/
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836

Almost, but didn't quite, get a PR the other morning... on ice, with studded tyres, wearing full winter gear.

Still, personal 2nd place* isn't bad

I love that when it happens! You see you have a crown for being in the top 10, and then you see you're 9th or 10th!

*out of 2 :/