Turbo Trainer questions

Apologies for yet another turbo thread. I have read a lot of the old threads on the subject but they don't exactly answer the questions I have and would appreciate what is probably some simple advice.

I ride once maybe twice a week outdoors and, most weeks, will get a couple of static bike sessions in at the gym. I'm considering switching from the gym to setting up a turbo trainer at home to do Zwift. I have a spare road bike doing nothing that I will leave on it permanently.

Given this will be my first turbo, I'm inclined to buy a wheel on turbo rather than the more expensive direct drive at least until I can work out whether I'm actually going to use it a lot. Is this the best option or am I missing something?

I've been looking at the Elite Novo Smart which is currently £180 in Halfords before using my BC discount. Does anyone have this and/or have any views on its abilities?

I'm intending to put the trainer in the garage which is unheated and (currently) uninsulated. Is this like to damage or impair the trainer?

Thanks in advance.
You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Unheated will be a good thing when you're training. Just put a jacket on until you've warmed up. Not used that turbo - sorry. Will you be taking a laptop into the garage to zwift with ?
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    edited January 2020
    fenix said:

Unheated will be a good thing when you're training. Just put a jacket on until you've warmed up. Not used that turbo - sorry. Will you be taking a laptop into the garage to zwift with ?

I was wondering if it may get damaged over the winter?

I'll be taking an iPad in probably - could use a laptop.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Longshot said:

I'm intending to put the trainer in the garage which is unheated and (currently) uninsulated. Is this like to damage or impair the trainer?

Thanks in advance.

My trainer is in an unheated outbuilding. It has no problems being stored and used there.

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    As long as the garage is not overly damp it will be ok in the cold.

That model appears to be ERG or equivalent so is probably a good starting point.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    edited January 2020
    I have a Neo, PC and TV in an unheated "outbuilding" and haven't had any issues.
    Generally it's around 80/85% RH in there (tools don't go rusty though), but I have a dehum for during/after turbo sessions (otherwise you get condensation dripping from everywhere)
  • Longshot
    Thanks all. Good point on the dehumidifier.
  • Longshot
    Hmmm, I've had my head turned by the Elite Zumo which I can get for about £385.

The reviews generally look positive. Any first hand experience suggest otherwise?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Given the choice I'd not go for another wheel on trainer.

1) You have to ensure the tyre is pumped up appropriately - a partially deflated tube will affect the power transfer and power reading
    2) Slippage - The tyre to roller is just another contact point and it can & will slip - mine does even with a turbo tyre pumped up to the appropriate pressure.

If you're currently doing gym membership and static bikes - you know the mentality required to stay on the bike - I'd suggest that being at home is easier to get off (more excuses - or other things to be doing) - so if you buy an entry level one I suggest you're going to want to upgrade/replace fairly soon - then how much will you get back for a s/h turbo? - Just get the direct drive ....
  • Longshot
    slowbike said:

Given the choice I'd not go for another wheel on trainer.

1) You have to ensure the tyre is pumped up appropriately - a partially deflated tube will affect the power transfer and power reading
    2) Slippage - The tyre to roller is just another contact point and it can & will slip - mine does even with a turbo tyre pumped up to the appropriate pressure.

If you're currently doing gym membership and static bikes - you know the mentality required to stay on the bike - I'd suggest that being at home is easier to get off (more excuses - or other things to be doing) - so if you buy an entry level one I suggest you're going to want to upgrade/replace fairly soon - then how much will you get back for a s/h turbo? - Just get the direct drive ....

That sounds like good advice, thank you.
  • Hi Longshot,
    I have my wattbike in the garage and have had no issues with storing it there.
    A couple of further thoughts,
    Cycling in the garage has been fine. I’ve recently mounted a screen on the wall which has really added to the experience ( I use Zwift).
    On very cold days I start of with a hoodie which I then remove after 5 mins or so. I still heat up even in these cold conditions, so a fan is essential still. In hindsight, I would buy a fan with a remote control as I don’t want it on when v cold for the first five mins or so as I warm up - getting off the bike is a pain to switch it on is a bit of a pain.
    At the moment in the colder conditions, I train with a pair of merino socks on as feet can get cold despite body sweating! I have even used a pair of Castelli ‘toe thingys’ too to keep feet warm ( Feet can get cold after an hour or so.
    I take a spare jersey out too, as during intense sessions can very sweaty and the cold air blowing onto a very damp jersey is not good. I change to a fresh jersey after half an hour or so.
    I have a small battery powered wireless alarm set up ( cost about £10 ) as a little bit of extra security. Very powerful if I forget to deactivate! Battery has lasted ages. B & Q do a Yale one too.
    I found training in the garage in the garage as I overheat massively indoors. I always keep the door open to get some air in unless it is really lashing it down.
    I don’t need a dehumidifier as my garage is dry, but I can see that this might be useful in a damp outbuilding.
    Good luck with it!
  • If you train often enough indoors (~3 times a week, >30mins per session including some z3+ intervals), you will adapt over a few weeks and then get a similar heart rate for a given power compared to outdoors. Obviously a fan or two will help, but these days I could happily do z2 power sessions without a fan, I'll only turn both on if I'm doing a session/race that will involve lots of z4/5.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581

Hi Longshot,
    Cycling in the garage has been fine. I’ve recently mounted a screen on the wall which has really added to the experience ( I use Zwift).
    On very cold days I start of with a hoodie which I then remove after 5 mins or so. I still heat up even in these cold conditions, so a fan is essential still. In hindsight, I would buy a fan with a remote control as I don’t want it on when v cold for the first five mins or so as I warm up - getting off the bike is a pain to switch it on is a bit of a pain.
    At the moment in the colder conditions, I train with a pair of merino socks on as feet can get cold despite body sweating! I have even used a pair of Castelli ‘toe thingys’ too to keep feet warm ( Feet can get cold after an hour or so.
    I take a spare jersey out too, as during intense sessions can very sweaty and the cold air blowing onto a very damp jersey is not good. I change to a fresh jersey after half an hour or so.
    I have a small battery powered wireless alarm set up ( cost about £10 ) as a little bit of extra security. Very powerful if I forget to deactivate! Battery has lasted ages. B & Q do a Yale one too.
    I found training in the garage in the garage as I overheat massively indoors. I always keep the door open to get some air in unless it is really lashing it down.
    I don’t need a dehumidifier as my garage is dry, but I can see that this might be useful in a damp outbuilding.
    Good luck with it!

Regarding your fan, just get a remote control plug socket and have the fan plugged into that. You can get them for a few quid from Wilkos or Amazon.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    edited January 2020

Hi Longshot,

You can get remote control plugs for pretty cheap. I've the fans and lights on mine - as you say you don't want the fan on to begin with.

Oh. Must learn to read ALL the posts before commenting.
  • Regarding your fan, just get a remote control plug socket and have the fan plugged into that. You can get them for a few quid from Wilkos or Amazon.

That is a great shout mrb 123 ( and fenix too!) Thank you 😊 They look v good value and will get on and order. BW
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I would definitely splash out and get a direct drive turbo for the reasons mentioned above. Will really increase your enjoyment of Zwift.
    DC Rainmaker is the best source for trainer reviews, so definitely worth checking out his website. I would also consider looking at the Elite Suito, more expensive than the Zumo but you get a cassette thrown in and it has higher specs.