2020 Pro Race Gear

2»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196

Isn't the frame actually made in China or Taiwan?

De Rosa and Ribble had the same frame at a time with about a 2 grand difference for the badge
    Buy the Ribble frame and send it to Atlantic boulevard for a £250 respray then?

What's meant by 'European Cofidis'? Suggests other paint jobs for other parts pf the world.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

De Rosa and Ribble had the same frame at a time with about a 2 grand difference for the badge
    Buy the Ribble frame and send it to Atlantic boulevard for a £250 respray then?

What's meant by 'European Cofidis'? Suggests other paint jobs for other parts pf the world.
    or spend what you would on the de Rosa and get a Wilier

European- European champions livery

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

tell me the frames that aren't made in Asia...
  • pinno
    edited January 2020

...or spend what you would on the de Rosa and get a Wilier.

I did :)

See The Brazilian beach volleyball team http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinarello001/7235614114/
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    inseine said:

Aren’t the top line Colnago C64 (and predecessor lugged carbon ones) still made in Italy?

Parlee maybe?

But yes, very few carbon frames are made anywhere outside Asia I think.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

inseine said:

Aren’t the top line Colnago C64 (and predecessor lugged carbon ones) still made in Italy?

Parlee maybe?

But yes, very few carbon frames are made anywhere outside Asia I think.
    https://youtu.be/tijgNEqBfh4

I looked in to the c60 a few years ago. I think they get the carbon from any Italian supplier to. Who knows who their supplier's supplier is though.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549

RichN95 wrote:

m.r.m. wrote:

Just add an "O".

Understated paint job. Should survive crashes well. :P

Has he given up the O-rings?

It looks like he had them on in Japan

B9721393699Z.1_20191027113057_000+GO0EPH09F.3-0.jpg?itok=YMAfrt141572172430

Spot which berk in this photo who is smashing his brakes on into the corner and who is also coming back from career-threatening injuries incurred from an incident of an unwise, it turns out, high speed fuckwittery.

How come you get away with criticising “the great one” yet when I try it I get rounded on...;)

• shipley
    shipley Posts: 549

RichN95 wrote:

m.r.m. wrote:

Just add an "O".

Understated paint job. Should survive crashes well. :P

Has he given up the O-rings?

It looks like he had them on in Japan

B9721393699Z.1_20191027113057_000+GO0EPH09F.3-0.jpg?itok=YMAfrt141572172430

Spot which berk in this photo who is smashing his brakes on into the corner and who is also coming back from career-threatening injuries incurred from an incident of an unwise, it turns out, high speed fuckwittery.

How come you get away with criticising “the great one” yet when I try it I get rounded on...;)

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229

I don't think its that one though. one of the lower end frames. that pinifarina one is a one off, no one else does it.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    inseine said:

Yeah but the post claimed it was italian made. It isn't.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

inseine said:

Yeah but the post claimed it was italian made. It isn't.
    I think you misunderstood the post but it's no big deal
  • Quite a bit of newness in this article.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2020-tour-down-under-training-rides-gallery/

Sci con glasses seem to be the rage with NTT.

Movistar switch from Endura to Ale and Oakley to 100%

Sunweb get Roka glasses.

Lotto Soudal to Ekoi and DQS back to Oakley.
  • pinno
    gsk82 said:
    Dream time.

Pity they didn't adorn it in Campag.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    I’m as Euro snob as they come but nothing to say bikes made in Europe are actually superior in any way, right?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Where's your sense of Continental Pride! Bet you don't care if bIg BeN BonGs fOR BRexIt oR Not....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    edited January 2020
    ddraver said:

Where's your sense of Continental Pride! Bet you don't care if bIg BeN BonGs fOR BRexIt oR Not....

:)

Big Ben's big dong?
  • pinno
    edited January 2020
    BTW, I hate these new smiley icons, they look like something out of a kiddies book.
  • rick_chasey
    Hadn't realised Movistar are on SRAM this year - dropped campag.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551

Ja man, where you been? ;)

They have also moved to discs, which I suspect is a big driver of moving over to SRAM. I know people complain but I've been very happy with my SRAM AXS disk set up.
  • rick_chasey
    Yes.

Curious to see if they are riding them in the mountains.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    dish_dash said:

Ja man, where you been? ;)

They have also moved to discs, which I suspect is a big driver of moving over to SRAM. I know people complain but I've been very happy with my SRAM AXS disk set up.
    Over on weightweenies there are people who prefer Campagnolo discs over Shimano for breaking performance?! Shame Campy is being phased out more and more. I always liked there being variety.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • pinno
    I doubt you could say that Campag is being 'phased out'. I think it's more about size of company and marketing as well as retail pricing.
    Shimano's net sales in 2017 $3.2 bn as opposed to Campag's $11m.
    So, the fact that Campag still survives is testament to the quality of their product.
    SRAM's net sales $500+ million, quite remarkable really given how new they are to the market - 1990 iirc.

Between Shimano and SRAM, both companies can offer much cheaper deals to furnish bike teams or even give them components for free(?).
    Campag is still privately owned.

So Campag in comparison to both Shimano and SRAM is diminutive. It would be a shame to see Campag fold.
    The thing (the soul?) that makes Campag different would probably be lost if it were to be turned into a PLC but unfortunately, it maybe the only route to survival.
    How they compete with Shimano and SRAM, I have no idea.

Indemnity: some of the figures may be ever so slightly incorrect but that's all I had to hand.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Think you missed a zero off of that Campagnolo sales figure. Their revenue is around the €120-150 million mark I believe.
  • pinno
    Yes I did miss a zero.

But Campag is much smaller a company than Shimano.

Hard to get figures for campag. This article goes in to some detail:

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a20018740/can-campagnolo-survive/
  • That article is from 2011. It's 2020 and Campagnolo are still around, it's not being phased out by anybody, the company is not going to fold (what a load of tosh) and their equipped teams have already started ripping up the Pro peloton!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited February 2021
    @poptart242 ,

I saw your post you made about owning Sutro glasses, is that the original or S (Smaller) ones?

I have a bit of a peahead, so have just ordered one of each to try, but noticed Oakley Custom have 20% off currently, plus 11% through TCB, so may end up ordering through them as can specify colours for each section.

My biggest concern is the lack of unobtanium ear socks on the arms, and the fact it is just the nose and temple bit that are meant to keep them in place.

How do you find them in that respect?
    I'm wondering about the possibility of buying earsocks meant for another model and fitting them over the arms....

Also, what lens did you go for - I'm thinking 24k Gold Prizm or Jade Prizm - lens options are limited for custom alas.

Thanks

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18