GXP BB replacement = uberbike

david7m
david7m Posts: 636
edited January 2020 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello
Yet another GXP drive side bearing has gone lumpy :( Think this is the fourth, I've lost track!
Said I wouldn't have another, so I haven't :smile:
Just ordered a stainless Uberbike job, reviews seem positive.
Anyone had any experience with them?
Dave

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    No but I do use there brake pads and tyre sealant with no problems at all and so they should be very good as they are now fitting SKF bearings in the bottom brackets.

I've the new tubeless valves at home to fit as well soon.
  • david7m
    swod1 said:

No but I do use there brake pads and tyre sealant with no problems at all and so they should be very good as they are now fitting SKF bearings in the bottom brackets.

I've the new tubeless valves at home to fit as well soon.

Yes, im a big fan of their pads too!
    Guess i'll find out about the BB once the winter is finished :)
  • swod1
    You will be fine, SKF are high quality bearings.

I use a hope bb on mine and the bearings last ages, just put a tiny smear of grease over the outside of bearing before putting the plastic caps over them to add a little more protection from the uk weather.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Hope you have better luck ordering with uberbike than I've just had. Tried to order pads (for the first time) and credit card wouldn't work. There's no problem with the credit card and no one answered the phone at uberbike. I'll try again in the morning but not impressed at the moment.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • david7m
    edited January 2020
    swod1 said:

You will be fine, SKF are high quality bearings.

I use a hope bb on mine and the bearings last ages, just put a tiny smear of grease over the outside of bearing before putting the plastic caps over them to add a little more protection from the uk weather.

The plan was to get a Hope unit, but just had forks, shock and bike serviced. Hopefully this will last a bit....
  • david7m
    dabber said:

Hope you have better luck ordering with uberbike than I've just had. Tried to order pads (for the first time) and credit card wouldn't work. There's no problem with the credit card and no one answered the phone at uberbike. I'll try again in the morning but not impressed at the moment.

I've had prompt email communication this morning about returning some pads, so not sure what happened there. BB and pads despatched this morning (ordered last night).
  • dabber
    david7m said:

dabber said:

I've had prompt email communication this morning about returning some pads, so not sure what happened there. BB and pads despatched this morning (ordered last night).
    Hopefully it will turn out a silly glitch david. Call to CC provider confirmed no problems at their end. I'll see what uberbike have to say tomorrow.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • swod1
    Strange never had an problem paying before probably a issue with paypal when paying with cards.
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    swod1 said:

Strange never had an problem paying before probably a issue with paypal when paying with cards.

Same for me, always found them to be very good, and quick.
  • dabber
    Sorry to have diverted this thread onto uberbikes.... however, just an update. Phoned them. They were helpful but couldn't work out why card wasn't working online with them. I placed my order over the phone using the same card. All worked fine.

• david7m
    Pads and BB arrived this morning :smile:

BB looks good quality and I know the pads are great!

Only issue with fitment was the sleeve inside is too short and doesn't bridge between the two bearing cups (I fitted bearings and sleeve to crank off the bike). I've fitted it anyway as going out in the morning. Can't imagine it will cause any issues as nothing can get inside the BB housing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    david7m said:

Can't imagine it will cause any issues as nothing can get inside the BB housing.

Oh it will......down the seat tube for starters. Sounds like an issue with your install somewhere..
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If your bb shell is 68 or 73mmm wide the sleeve should fit.
    What bike is it going on?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • david7m
    T130S, it's 73mm. There were no markings on the sleeve, maybe it was a 68mm but expected it to fit both.
  • david7m

david7m said:

Can't imagine it will cause any issues as nothing can get inside the BB housing.

Oh it will......down the seat tube for starters. Sounds like an issue with your install somewhere..
    There is no way anything can get it, I've a dropper so it's effectively a sealed unit in my head :smile:

• The Rookie
    edited January 2020
    How does a dropper seal more than a rigid seatpost?

Should only be one spacer used on a 73mm BB shell not 3.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • david7m

How does a dropper seal more than a rigid seatpost?

Should only be one spacer used on a 73mm BB shell not 3.

Hi. I thought a regular post might be open at the top :blush:
    The 3 spacers arent doing anything in the picture. I havent used any now its on the bike because i have chain guard.
  • The Rookie
    Only open on very cheap bikes.
    Muddy water can get down inside the seat tube.