New Wheels - when to buy

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,847
edited January 2020 in Road buying advice
I need new set of wheels as my previous rear seems to be terminally ill with a stripped thread on the axle and i can't find a spare.

I have the "luxury" of knowing that I will need them for the end of March and can buy anytime between now and then (I work overseas and have a bike here) when I will be back in the UK.

I am looking for non-disk road wheels suitable for 11spd. Not keen on tubeless as they could sit for several months and my previous experience saw the liquid setting in the bottom of the tyre. Budget about £350ish.

Random question perhaps - Any idea when the best deals are likely to be had? Now or later in the winter/spring?

Any good deals available just now?

Comments

• shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    look at probikekit they have mavic cosmic elites at 299 or ksyriums at 370
  • Tubeless compatible wheels can be run with tubed tyres though.

I leave some.of my bikes with tubeless tyres for months at time and simply reinflate and go rode when it time. Since I carry plugs I am not worried about the selant not being present or not. Sealant can last alot longer than you think. It depends on how porous your tyres are.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • given your experience with lack of spares, is it not worth considering something with spares? Hope hubs on something should be around 400 and all spares are available.

Among factory wheels, Mavic is probably the best for spares... I did find some obscure parts for a pair of R-SYS in the past
    left the forum March 2023
  • navrig2

given your experience with lack of spares, is it not worth considering something with spares? Hope hubs on something should be around 400 and all spares are available.

Among factory wheels, Mavic is probably the best for spares... I did find some obscure parts for a pair of R-SYS in the past

You are right but it is a Mavic Ksyrium axle which is stripped. I cannot find a spare anywhere. I've searched on line using the part number (taken from the exploded diagram) but to no joy.

I had just repaired the hub, which had developed the squeal of death, using the Dr Hub solution. Bit of a pain.
  • Then go handbuilt with some decent hubs
    left the forum March 2023
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

Then go handbuilt with some decent hubs

I'm amazed more people don't go the handbuilt route. You get something made specifically for your weight, power and intended use with readily available (and relatively cheaper) spares. Factory wheels are designed to meet the weights and power of a broad spectrum of riders, are often designed with fashion in mind rather than function (low spoke counts, hidden nipples etc) and often have expensive and hard to source spares that quickly go out of stock as new model lines are rushed in. It's a bit of a no brainier to me.
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    edited January 2020
    a
  • navrig2 said:

given your experience with lack of spares, is it not worth considering something with spares? Hope hubs on something should be around 400 and all spares are available.

You are right but it is a Mavic Ksyrium axle which is stripped. I cannot find a spare anywhere. I've searched on line using the part number (taken from the exploded diagram) but to no joy.

I had just repaired the hub, which had developed the squeal of death, using the Dr Hub solution. Bit of a pain.
    What is the model and year of the part you need? I have a few old ksyrium hubs which may be of use if you haven't already got your head into a new set of wheels.

Either way I would highly recommend a handbuilt set of wheels using Hope hubs. They are pretty much indestructible and very easy to service and have you get an excellent warranty and aftersales service from Hope.
  • Miche hubs are just as relaible as hope. Spares are cheap and I know I have plenty.

Shimano ultegra hubs have good spares availability.

There are a few more good hub options.

A couple of customer have damaged rear wheels recently so back the wheels came and new rims have been fitted. Spokes were reused and these wheels had alloy nipples I cant remember the last time I had a wheel back for a new hub. This is the advantage of shop built wheels whoever builds them.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • navrig2

Miche hubs are just as relaible as hope. Spares are cheap and I know I have plenty.

Shimano ultegra hubs have good spares availability.

There are a few more good hub options.

A couple of customer have damaged rear wheels recently so back the wheels came and new rims have been fitted. Spokes were reused and these wheels had alloy nipples I cant remember the last time I had a wheel back for a new hub. This is the advantage of shop built wheels whoever builds them.

Thanks for that. I did have a pair of hand built wheels. Fairly basic workhorse types with 105 hubs and robust rims. I didn't look after them and eventually the cups wore as a result of water/grime in the hubs. That put me on to sealed bearings. Still not sure what to go for.

I got mine from Al at Wheelcraft. He was/is brilliant.
  • navrig2
    jeffbwood said:

navrig2 said:

What is the model and year of the part you need? I have a few old ksyrium hubs which may be of use if you haven't already got your head into a new set of wheels.

They are 2010-mavic-ksyrium-elite-wheels-pair.

The part I am/was looking for was
    LV2250500 KIT REAR AXLE KSYRIUM

https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/mavic_tech.php?display=product&family=1010&subfamily=1050&macronu=19919

I tried online and could not find anyone who stocked this. I asked on the Classifieds here and didn't get any responses.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Only going to echo the above really, Hope, Miche, Shimano even Novatec.

Handbuild is the way to go through, I spent months trying to find an old Reynolds hub to the point I was going to just buy a new hub and spokes. Managed to find one otherwise I would have chucked in a reliable common branded hub.
  • navrig2 said:

jeffbwood said:

navrig2 said:

https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/mavic_tech.php?display=product&family=1010&subfamily=1050&macronu=19919

I tried online and could not find anyone who stocked this. I asked on the Classifieds here and didn't get any responses.
    I haven't got an axle that would match that unfortunately but it looks like it's available here.

https://www.bikingbarn.co.uk/mavic-rear-axle-v2250501

here

https://www.bike24.com/p2179583.html

and plenty of other places.

Not unusual for hub/axle parts to stay the same across different Mavic ranges.
  • navrig2
    jeffbwood said:

navrig2 said:

jeffbwood said:

navrig2 said:

I haven't got an axle that would match that unfortunately but it looks like it's available here.

https://www.bikingbarn.co.uk/mavic-rear-axle-v2250501

here

https://www.bike24.com/p2179583.html

and plenty of other places.

Not unusual for hub/axle parts to stay the same across different Mavic ranges.
    Many thanks. I did my search middle of last year and gave up.

That's worth a punt as the rims are clean and true (although they are 2010 I bought them 2013) and used them on the summer bike.

I owe you a beer ;-)
  • no worries
  • navrig2
    Spares ordered and on their way. They will have to sit until April when I will be home next but at least I should have a working road bike to use when home. :)