Harry and Meghan stepping aside

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
Good, whatever, who cares. They're just two random people who are famous.

It is incredible how people are obsessed with celebrity, and it's no different for anyone who's actually interested in the royals.

As for trying to be financially independent, how about stopping accepting any income right this second and getting a job or starting a business that generates you an income. Being financially independent off an income generated from taking it from charities you run won't count.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Is that you, Piers?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    mfin said:

Being financially independent off an income generated from taking it from charities you run won't count.

Why not? Plenty of other, non-royal people do that.

You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • mfin
    rjsterry said:

Is that you, Piers?

:):)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    mfin said:

Good, whatever, who cares. They're just two random people who are famous.

This tickled me.

• mfin
    edited January 2020
    Longshot said:

mfin said:

Being financially independent off an income generated from taking it from charities you run won't count.

I know, and it is super-easy for them to do because of who they are, not for any other reason. Running a business or doing a job which you get paid for because you are actually doing or producing something that's financially viable is another thing. Of course I know as does anyone that they will only make money because of who they are.

I think she should start in McDonalds flipping burgers and he should be a bin man. Then they'll start with a basic job like millions of others do. (To be fair, she wasn't born a royal though, so I assume she had to start a career from scratch, so I am happy for her to start in a higher end burger chain like Five Guys - although this is conditional that they both f**k off from the news within the next hour).

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I'm not anti-Royal by any means but I say good for them. They'll be fine financially and I can't imagine she isn't quite well off either. It's good of them to have that plan to become financially independent rather than keeping their heads down and taking the money. I'm not especially against the sovereign grant either, if they hadn't swapped the income from the Crown estate for annual income from the Civil List things might look quite different now.

It did wind me up this morning hearing some stuck up knobber on the radio this morning saying they need to be here to support the Queen whenever she needs it.
  • mfin
    edited January 2020
    Remember they want to get away from the press. If they want to run charities they can skim off they'll be wanting the press full stop for the promotion of that.

Wouldn't it be nice if they disappeared and we wouldn't have to hear of them ever again until they copped it. This is the level of attention royals should really get.

As for correspondents mentioning how he should be supporting his mum, who the hell cares, she's just a freakishly expensive handbag stand.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Meghanuary, when Ms Markle gives up royal duties.

Taken from 6Music the now.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    To be fair, Meghan managed to make a few quid for herself before she ever met Harry. Maybe he ought to go off to Hollywood with her!

I love the person starting this thread talking about others being obsessed with celebrity and the Royals :lol:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    mfin said:

Longshot said:

mfin said:

I know, and it is super-easy for them to do because of who they are, not for any other reason. Running a business or doing a job which you get paid for because you are actually doing or producing something that's financially viable is another thing. Of course I know as does anyone that they will only make money because of who they are.

I think she should start in McDonalds flipping burgers and he should be a bin man. Then they'll start with a basic job like millions of others do. (To be fair, she wasn't born a royal though, so I assume she had to start a career from scratch, so I am happy for her to start in a higher end burger chain like Five Guys - although this is conditional that they both f**k off from the news within the next hour).

So for clarity, two people who you don't care about, should work in a fast food chain because the army with a tour of Afghanistan and a successful career as an actress don't cut it as work for you and you need a bit of public flagellation. It's good that you really don't care.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    mfin said:

Longshot said:

mfin said:

I think she should start in McDonalds flipping burgers and he should be a bin man.

You're picking on the only member of the Royal family who has had a proper job in living memory?! Perhaps she could get back into acting and play herself in The Crown? It won't last long mind...

You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    mfin said:

...As for correspondents mentioning how he should be supporting his mum...

I think she's maybe a bit beyond any help he could offer...
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

To be fair, Meghan managed to make a few quid for herself before she ever met Harry. Maybe he ought to go off to Hollywood with her!

I love the person starting this thread talking about others being obsessed with celebrity and the Royals :lol:

Our very own GMB tribute act?

mfin said:

Longshot said:

mfin said:

So for clarity, two people who you don't care about, should work in a fast food chain because the army with a tour of Afghanistan and a successful career as an actress don't cut it as work for you and you need a bit of public flagellation. It's good that you really don't care.
    It's just standard issue mfin sh*tstirring. Like every thread he starts.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Rather like Greta, the (men) who are wound up by this seem to exclusively be ****s, so, without any real knowledge of wtf it's about, I'm all for it.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I too am all for it. Hand back the keys to Frogmore, give up the titles, arrange your own security and fcuk off.
  • mfin
    Pross said:

Well, it might shed some light that I can touch type like a rocket and am only having a laugh.
  • mfin
    edited January 2020
    rjsterry said:

It's just standard issue mfin sh*tstirring. Like every thread he starts.

Sorry, what qualifies this thread as sh*stirring?

(Oh, and having a pop at someone like that is not really conduct falling within the rules is it. Careful, some people are sensitive. Play nice).
  • mfin
    Longshot said:

You're picking on the only member of the Royal family who has had a proper job in living memory?! Perhaps she could get back into acting and play herself in The Crown? It won't last long mind...

Ah, well that's why I let her off with McDonalds and suggested she could start at Five Guys.

It's all just light-hearted anyway. The fact that it's permanently on the news cycle today is ridiculous, that's the amazing thing. The amount of coverage is daft, it's saturating things like News 24. It must be a slow news day.
  • I wonder if Harry Hewitt discussed this with his father. He doesn't seem to have discussed it with Prince Charles.
  • I heard that he's decided Brexit year is the time to learn a trade, he's going to be "The Prince of Plumbers". If that doesn't work out, there's at least £50,000 for the pair of them to do Strictly. I'd say she's probably good enough to make it through the first few dance-offs to get a bit extra.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Maybe they just want to be free to go to Pizza Express in Woking like normal people...
  • rjsterry
    mfin said:

Longshot said:

Ah, well that's why I let her off with McDonalds and suggested she could start at Five Guys.

It's all just light-hearted anyway. The fact that it's permanently on the news cycle today is ridiculous, that's the amazing thing. The amount of coverage is daft, it's saturating things like News 24. It must be a slow news day.
    Royals are catnip to newsfolk and what else does Nicholas Witchell/Piers Morgan have to fill his day? Beats contemplating the ME going to hell, I suppose. Not sure why you felt the need to add to the saturation if it irks you.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Are they going on strictly or I'm a celeb?
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    I heard on the News that he has 7 million and a large amount in trust. She has 4 million. If they want to come over to pleb-side and be normal. Me and a few mates will provide his protection if we can have 10% of his interest a year. FFS the news are so up their nether regions and want the public to support them as "there such a nice couple"
    Sounds on me throwing up lol...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Oi, this is Brexit Britain. Get tugging that forelock of yours.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770

I too am all for it. Hand back the keys to Frogmore, give up the titles, arrange your own security and fcuk off.

Well said. But you missed off the reimbursement of the refurbishment of said cottage.

On another note I really hope it is the beginning of a very trimmed down royal family like Norway.Just monarch and immediate heir is fine. One house each only.

All the other castles and palaces should be opened up as hostels for the homeless. All the treasures and artwork should be put into museums around the UK.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    mfin said:

Pross said:

Well, it might shed some light that I can touch type like a rocket and am only having a laugh.
    Icna tchou tpye kile a rckoet oot!

Oh, apparently I can't!

But you do the get prize for the lamest brag I've read today.
  • mr_goo said:

Well said. But you missed off the reimbursement of the refurbishment of said cottage.

On another note I really hope it is the beginning of a very trimmed down royal family like Norway.Just monarch and immediate heir is fine. One house each only.

All the other castles and palaces should be opened up as hostels for the homeless. All the treasures and artwork should be put into museums around the UK.
    And the royals should work there on national minimum wage then billed for accommodation.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    oh go on youve sucked me in on this one :smile: if they want to step back from being "senior" (whatever that means) royals and go live the private life thats entirely matter for them and absolutely their choice to do so, and Im more than happy for them to do that if it makes them happier, I doubt it will long term but thats their ulitmately their free choice.

but they have a radically different interpretation of the phrase "financially independent" than I do, receiving a circa 5million annual stipend from your fathers estate revenues, maintaining a property in the UK at ongoing taxpayer expense and having full security protection again all paid for, and then monetising their Royalness as essentially a brand to promote whatever stuff they are interested in...erm nope thats not financially independent at all and actually Im not ok with that part or monetising their brands.

I dont think you can be half in/half out of the royal family, you are either in and accept the life,power, trappings and privileges that go with it, or you are out and have to make your own way in life like the rest of us do
  • rjsterry
    edited January 2020
    Jeez, envy is such an attractive emotion. Funny how other very wealthy person who inherited most of it and also receives government grants for one thing and another doesn't receive half the bile that the royal family.
    Pinnacle Monzonite