Suits

13»

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    sungod wrote:
    wearing the pointy black ziggy stingray's today :D

i shall be emerging from eurostar st p. about 1610, say hello and i'll stand a bottle at the bubbly bar upstairs
    Drat, I could have made it there if I'd been reading this when you posted...you can for now carrying on being international man of mystery (with a similar sense of style as the original :wink: )
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Brioni for me. I save like bu66ery and buy one every couple of years. Set off nicely with shirts by Oscar of Sweden.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Should a cyclist have more suits than bikes.
  • I don't own a suit.
    I've never owned a suit.
    I never will own a suit.
    They don't suit me,
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I have to wear a suit every day (‘‘tis a very traditional school that I work in) so I keep an eye on eBay for decent second hand Next suits. Most I’ve spent is £25 plus dry cleaning for OK-ish wool suits. I refuse to pay more when on any given day, I could end up with chewing gum (or worse) stuck to me hence ruining them.

Shoes on the other hand are almost impossible to find. On my feet most of the day so I’m always on the look out for something comfortable enough for that that aren’t going to tear my feet to pieces as they break in. Tried leather soles and nearly fell over a dozen times when it rained. Super shiny floors don’t you know.

Thank you for reading (or not!)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I tend to wear suits for most social occasions if I get the chance.
    I wore one for a job interview a few weeks ago. The job was for a conservation assistant which I got, however I don’t wear a suit for the job. As it turns out a conservation assistant gets to clean toilets both ancient and modern in the 16th century Manor House where I’m working.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    johngti said:

I have to wear a suit every day (‘‘tis a very traditional school that I work in) so I keep an eye on eBay for decent second hand Next suits. Most I’ve spent is £25 plus dry cleaning for OK-ish wool suits. I refuse to pay more when on any given day, I could end up with chewing gum (or worse) stuck to me hence ruining them.

Shoes on the other hand are almost impossible to find. On my feet most of the day so I’m always on the look out for something comfortable enough for that that aren’t going to tear my feet to pieces as they break in. Tried leather soles and nearly fell over a dozen times when it rained. Super shiny floors don’t you know.

Thank you for reading (or not!)

You can get rubber soles put on for £15.

Then when that wears out you don’t need to replace the leather, just the rubber, and you don’t slip around.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

You can get rubber soles put on for £15.

Then when that wears out you don’t need to replace the leather, just the rubber, and you don’t slip around.

Yeah done that with one pair, it’s ok. I like a bit more cushioning though. And quiet soles are good for not making your presence known until you’re close enough to catch the little scrotes doing something they shouldn’t!
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

Yeah yeah, some people spend more time wearing their suits than any other clothes so the economics aren't as bad as they appear.

While you're at it, buy two pairs of proper shoes (Bakers, Loakes, Cheaneys, churches etc) and alternate them each day. You'll think it's ludicrous you've spent £300-400 but 5 years later they'll still look smart and will last for another 5 at least if you look after them. It's not like they go out of fashion.

Just bagged myself a pair of Loake brogue boots for a smidge over 200 quid at my local shoe shop. I'm planning on them lasting me at least 10 years with maybe a sole and heel job along the way so I'd say that's a good deal.
  • rick_chasey
    Well done - stick some rubbers on em if they don't already.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    They've got the welted rubber sole.
  • rick_chasey
    Excellent.
  • Stevo_666
    That reminds me I need to get a new suit this year as my older one is starting to wear out a bit.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Hardly ever wear one anymore: conferences, very occasionally meetings, and weddings.

The one I have which fits is from Moss Bros. I assume that will be looked down on.

I have some nice Oxfords which I bought for my own wedding 9 months ago with the intention of wearing them with a suit but I haven't had a suit wearing occasion since. 3 weddings this year though. I mainly use this as an excuse to buy unnecessary new ties.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2020

The one I have which fits is from Moss Bros. I assume that will be looked down on.

Anyone who is snobby about where the suit is from doesn't really get it - at least that's how I see it.

As long as it's not some awful colour/pattern or 100% polyester, it's entirely about the fit.

A well fitting Moss Bros will look infinitely better than an ill fitting Hugo Boss.
  • Stevo_666

Anyone who is snobby about where the suit is from doesn't really get it - at least that's how I see it.

As long as it's not some awful colour/pattern or 100% polyester, it's entirely about the fit.

A well fitting Moss Bros will look infinitely better than an ill fitting Hugo Boss.
    Often depends whether you are an 'off the peg' shape - I'm not, so I get mine done individually. Also allows me to include to have the suit done exactly as I want it and with 2/3 pairs of trousers it last long enough to make it decent value.

I think you said that if you spend more of your waking hours wearing a suit than anything else, its worth getting one that's right for you.

My immediate problem is the company I used to buy my suits from has gone bust so I need to find another good made to measure operation.
  • rick_chasey
    if you're in London I have a good recommendation, but the suits will be quite spenny (I think over 500, realistically).
  • Stevo_666

if you're in London I have a good recommendation, but the suits will be quite spenny (I think over 500, realistically).

Go on then, I'll take a look at your tip thanks. The price you mention is not an issue for the reasons above. Main considerations are quality and the ability to spec it how I want - which I assume are a given otherwise you wouldn't be recommending them.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    This may be beyond the ideal budget...but Jasper Littman made me a tremendous suit (inc. two pairs of trousers). Still look great years later. If I was in the market for another he would be my first port of call.
    https://jasperlittman.com/our-suits/
  • Stevo_666
    bondurant said:

This may be beyond the ideal budget...but Jasper Littman made me a tremendous suit (inc. two pairs of trousers). Still look great years later. If I was in the market for another he would be my first port of call.
    https://jasperlittman.com/our-suits/

That link doesn't work but I did find the website, thanks.
  • Stevo_666

Thanks for the PM - will follow up in the near future. Very 'spenny' but definitely worth a look.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Not Matalan then?
  • Stevo_666

Not Matalan then?

I wouldn't want people to think I was copyjng your style.
  • ballysmate
    No one has ever accused me of having style before.
  • ballysmate
    Is this the thread about Megan getting her old job back now Harry wants to pay his own way?
    JSA can't go that far and 'Prince' is not much of a qualification is it?
    They must be a fair bit down the council house list.