5mm qr axle and hub fitting fork with 9mm drop outs?

Hi,
I’m wanting to upgrade the fork on my 2019 trek ds3. The original fork dropouts connect to a hub that fits a 100x5mm qr axle.
The new fork I’m considering (rockshox silver 30 tk coil) says it fits a qr axle type with a diameter of 9mm. I’m just wondering wether my current hub and 5mm qr axle fit the 9mm dropouts on the new fork, or (if not) there is an adapter i could use.
Thanks.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    They're the same thing. The QR is 5mm diameter, but the part of the axle which sits in the fork dropout, which the QR goes through, is 9mm
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    It begs the question why. That new fork looks longer so will probably invalidate your warranty.
    Can't quite get my head around why you would need suspension forks on a hybrid.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • @robertpb I understand your point however I’m wanting to use my ds for more simple xc type riding rather than the road and gravel I originally bought it for. I’m not too bothered about the warranty and am not buying another bike. As I’ve already added 2 inch tyres, do you think a 37mm longer fork could have any major affects to the geometry (30mm of headset spacers could be put above the bars), or cause any major issues to the bearings/headset over time?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    If I am reading this right the fork is 7mm longer under the headtube, which will not be an issue. Then the steerer tube is 30mm longer which you are going to put spacers above the stem. Or you could put them under to raise the bars.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443

Hi,
    I’m wanting to upgrade the fork on my 2019 trek ds3. The original fork dropouts connect to a hub that fits a 100x5mm qr axle.

Err, do you by any chance mean "fits a 100x15mm qr axle" ?

If it was 5mm, there is no way that the 9mm skewer on the new fork will fit through.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    No, Steve. Standard qr skewer is 5mm. The axle it passes through is 9mm diameter and it is this that sits in the fork drop outs.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Doh!
    That has triggered a memory.