Tubeless ready rims or not?

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
To summarise:

1 Bought a set of Fulcrum racing 5 DB C17 from CRC at a very nice discount in the recent sales.
2 Description says "Tubeless ready - two way fit"
3 One of the reviews states that tubeless tyres have been fitted
4 Nothing in the instructions about tubeless when they arrive
5 After contacting CRC, they say that there's a chance that these aren't tubeless ready as they could be 2017 stock (hence the price)
6 I've already installed a tubeless tyre on the rear wheel. It seated with a pleasing pop, it's been pumped up to pressure after adding sealant and it's maintained that pressure for two days. Even the rim profile looks like a tubeless rim to my, albeit inexperienced, eyes. Happy to post a pic of the front wheel profile when I get home if it helps.

So, my problem is this. Does it look like they might, after all, be tubeless ready? Would the tyres (GP5000TL) not have gone on as well and/or failed to hold air if they were not tubeless? What would the collective wisdom recommend - don't risk tubeless or go with it as it seems to be working?

Comments

• i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    If you deflate the tyre completely and it stays seated the rim is probably the tubeless ready version.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Fulcrum's version of "tubeless ready" is a bit weird and specific anyway. They say you can only use them with a short list of Schwalbe tyres, with Schwalbe sealant and Fulcrum valves. They also say you have to remove the fitted rim tape and replace it with Schwalbe rim tape.

https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/technologies/road-bike-wheels-technologies/2-way-fit-ready-road

I set up a set of Fulcrum Racing 700 wheels last week before I'd read the instructions (using MSO X'Plor tyres, orange sealant, stans valves and the fitted rim tape). They seem fine - I'm happy enough to use unapproved kit, but I probably would have fitted my own tubeless tape if I'd known before I did them. I'll probably fit my own tubeless tape when I next change tyres.
  • johngti
    i.bhamra said:

If you deflate the tyre completely and it stays seated the rim is probably the tubeless ready version.

I would have thought that too except that a pit of Prime wheels I had previously didn’t behave that way ie when I deflated the tyre, it popped off the rim (tyres were IRC). I’ll try that later though
  • johngti

Fulcrum's version of "tubeless ready" is a bit weird and specific anyway. They say you can only use them with a short list of Schwalbe tyres, with Schwalbe sealant and Fulcrum valves. They also say you have to remove the fitted rim tape and replace it with Schwalbe rim tape.

https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/technologies/road-bike-wheels-technologies/2-way-fit-ready-road

I set up a set of Fulcrum Racing 700 wheels last week before I'd read the instructions (using MSO X'Plor tyres, orange sealant, stans valves and the fitted rim tape). They seem fine - I'm happy enough to use unapproved kit, but I probably would have fitted my own tubeless tape if I'd known before I did them. I'll probably fit my own tubeless tape when I next change tyres.

I used non-recommended rim tape too, a Schwalbe valve and the contis aren’t the recommended tyres either. Obviously tubes are doable but I bought them because tubeless and winter work well for me

• johngti
    Well the rear tyre is still pretty much at the right pressure and holding well (obviously not been ridden yet) so the signs seem reasonable.

Here’s a couple of pictures of the rim profile just in case anyone who knows what they’re looking at chips in.

• Campagnolo have only tested schwalbe tyres and found those to meet there standards whatever they are for for and pressure ratings. I think they have some IRC tures to test now. With two way all brands of tubeless tyre except the loose fitting maxxis padrone tl should seat and seal fine.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • johngti
    That makes sense. Question is, does that look like a tubeless rim?
  • johngti
    Right, so. CRC have told me that the surefire way of knowing whether you have tubeless ready rims is to measure them. Older, non-tubeless are 23mm wide and 28mm deep, tubeless are 21.8mm wide and 26mm deep. Below are two photos of my wheels. Certainly look like the tubeless ready rims, don’t they?

• It does not.pook like a tubeless rim to me.the shelf is not wore enough and there is no bead lock either. Both are required really. Some manufacturers think a bead lock feature is not required but they are wrong. Some manufacturers think it's ok for tubes tyre to unseat once the air is removed. Just deflate the tyres on your car and if the tyres unseated youd be at the garage pretty sharpish.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • johngti
    Yeah I think you’re right. I did have a ride this morning with the tubeless setup just on the rear and it survived (didn’t want to risk the front just in case). It’s not losing any significant pressure on the back. Maybe I’ll have some gp5000tl for sale soon...
  • johngti
    They’re going back. I could have just stuck some tubes in them but I’m not willing to put up with something that was clearly described incorrectly. Wouldn’t have bought them in the first place if they weren’t advertised as tubeless.

Thanks for your help folks, it is appreciated.
  • If the tyre stays seated when the air is removed then you have a good setup.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk