Shock pump

Hi all,
Might need to get a shock pump one day and I’ve been looking at my local bike shop and some online stores and there’s not a lot of budget shock pumps. Can someone recommend a decent shock pump under 30 AUD?

Thanks

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You need a shock pump from day one if you want your bike to ride properly.
    They're not expensive I paid £10 for mine 13 years ago and it's been spot on.
    Nearly everyone on here is UK based so models will possibly have a different name in
    Oz.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Standard rockshox pump is pretty decent, about £30 brand new or about £12 to £15 second hand if it's in very good condition.

Dunno how that translates into $AUS

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You could get this from Decathlon Oz. https://decathlon.com.au/products/fork-shock-absorber-pump-436?variant=30892211175535
    In the UK it's only 28AUD or £14.99 looks like it's made in the same factory as the Rockshox.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I had the Rockshox one but after 7-8 years of abuse it died.
    I replaced it with the Topeak one which is excellent, but more expensive:
    https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/topeak-pocket-shock-dxg
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924

I had the Rockshox one but after 7-8 years of abuse it died.
    I replaced it with the Topeak one which is excellent, but more expensive:
    https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/topeak-pocket-shock-dxg

I was given that Topeak one for Christmas. First impressions are very good. I particularly like the attachment nozzle that stops any leakage of air when connecting/disconnecting to the valve. It works perfectly.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • dabber
    edited January 2020
    Duplicated - website not me

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • dabber
    edited January 2020
    Duplicate

• dabber
    edited January 2020
    Duplicate

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited January 2020
    I bought a shock pump 11 years ago, the company doesn't even make them anymore! But it still works and it remains consistent. Nobody can guarantee accuracy, but consistency is the key. Once you find the psi that gives you the sag you are looking for write it down somewhere. I wrote it down on a piece of card and nailed it to the garage wall, where it's handy to refer to.

PS:
    1. There is no need to over-tighten the connector. Screw it onto the fork/shock until the pressure gauge registers and holds and then make your changes.
    2. Be aware that the hiss you hear when uncoupling the shockpump is air leaving the hose not the fork/shock.
    3. When you reconnect, the hose of the shockpump will fill with pressurised air from the fork/shock and the reading will be a bit lower than you may expect (5-10 psi depending upon whether it is the fork or the shock). This is normal and it is not a sign that your fork/shock has a leak! (Unless the drop is large).

Happy pumping! :D