Chris Froome

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147

RichN95. said:

So a question to the forum folk - what do you think Chris will do once he is no longer racing?

I think he'll go back to Africa and become involved in conservation projects. Like Kevin Pietersen has. He still pop up at cycling events, but I doubt he'll be involved beyond lending his name to projects.
    Yes good. Glad the forum agrees. Had a debate the other day and they were adamant he'd be a great DS and that he LOVES cycling which felt very wide of the mark.

Yeah, big stars rarely become DSs (Saronni & Riis the only two off the top of my head). I feel Cavendish may be an exception
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

Hedge fund manager probably...

Hmm.

Possibly a company in that area would want his name associated with them, but they don't just let anyone be a fund manager. He never finished his degree I don't think?
    I think you might have taken me a little over seriously...

I can certainly see him ending up in an uber-corporate financial setting somewhere. I certainly don't see him running a bike shop/cafe anywhere

(or being a DS...)

new formatting's cool...
    Well the new forum update didn't include a method for telling when people are being serious...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    :p
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited November 2019
    Footage has emerged that suggests he may not be cut out for coaching. I think he got the "Don't crash, don't crash" advice from Nicolas Portal

Embeded tweets! I'm very much liking this new forum.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    edited November 2019
    Oh dear... The old forum was very much a text based level playing field. I fear the new one is going to create gaps between those who know this multi media stuff, and me.
    Half man, Half bike
  • RichN95.
    edited November 2019
    This is a fair chunk of metal

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,336
    It's needed to work with the magnets in the wheels. ;)
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    RichN95. said:

Footage has emerged that suggests he may not be cut out for coaching. I think he got the "Don't crash, don't crash" advice from Nicolas Portal

Embeded tweets! I'm very much liking this new forum.
    Has a limp when he knows he's on camera, but forgets to limp when he walks in at the end ;)

• RichN95.
    edited November 2019
    Delete
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited January 2020
    Apparently he's had a set back and has left/ been sent home from the Ineos training camp.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/chris-froome-leaves-training-camp-early-sports-director-doubts-recovery-445866

Really hope he is able to recover fully, he deserves to go out in style, not early (retirement) due to injuries.

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,461
    redvision said:

Apparently he's had a set back and has left/ been sent home from the Ineos training camp.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/chris-froome-leaves-training-camp-early-sports-director-doubts-recovery-445866

Really hope he is able to recover fully, he deserves to go out in style, not early (retirement) due to injuries.

The idea of sending bernal to the Giro was always a bit silly. He's their top guy, he has to go to the tour. Thomas could still do the Giro and support at the tour. I hope he does.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    😥
    - @ddraver
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,586
    I went to the Watts Occurring live podcast, and Geraint confirmed he’s doing the Tour, no Giro.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • RichN95.
    Ineos (and any other decent team) are going to be deciding race programs for their stars before New Year and there's no way Ineos could ever bank on Froome at that stage. Bernal and Thomas both want to do the Tour so they'll do they Tour. Carapaz and Sivakov will lead at the Giro. I can't how it would be any other way.

Froome's a wild card, a bonus. But he could never be part of any sensible planning. Brailsford doesn't really do sentimentality
  • I think that’s spot on above there Rich, Sivakov is on the cusp of being really strong you’d imagine isn’t he.

Do you think there’s a point where Froome opts for the Vuelta to give himself more time to get in race shape and then maybe does the tour next year? It seems like there’d just be too many question marks going into the tour this year (at this stage). You’re more likely to see an aim to return to dominance with Amador and Carapaz helping out at the front for Bernal and Thomas.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    Poor guy. Disappointing.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    edited January 2020
    He lives in a world where career ending injuries are not uncommon. Doesn't mean he can't be part of a squad,just hasn't the means to be last man standing. He won't be coaching, it will be brand ambassador for Pinarello and Castelli a la Cancellara or work in a corporate environment like Gerrans
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,283
    Hope he gets back, it's a rotten way to go. Doesn't look like he'll be in race winning form for the Tour, but could be possible to stick him in undercooked as a luxury domestique and for training if he's basically functioning, with an eye on the Vuelta. If he doesn't race a GT this season and Ineos bag the Tour and show well in the other two then it's difficult to see him leading again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Seeing as GT has quite a few mentions on this thread, he's on BBC2 tonight at 9pm. May give a bit of insight with his relationship with Bernal.
  • He has just posted this...

• shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    redvision said:

I knew the Sky/Ineos press office was in full swing. There was no way he was going to make a miraculous recovery from that crash. Spin at best, fake news at worst.

Shame such a good rider is such a terrible bike handler and it caught up with him.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,667
    Terrible bike handler? Eh hang on. Pro rider, multiple GT winner, been there, done it. I would reckon he's just a tad better at bike handling than me. 😉
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    shipley said:

redvision said:

I knew the Sky/Ineos press office was in full swing. There was no way he was going to make a miraculous recovery from that crash. Spin at best, fake news at worst.

Shame such a good rider is such a terrible bike handler and it caught up with him.
    Funny now you've fallen for the fake news.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    edited January 2020
    He’s more than capable of winning races....but it’s a well known fact he’s not the best bike handler in the peloton as he has proved and other riders have publicly stated:

To name a few.......(ignoring last year’s Dauphiné debacle)
    2014 Dauphine
    2013 Tour (stage 1 neutral zone)
    Tour of Colombia
    2017 Tour in the wet (remember the photo)
    2017 or 18 Tour - crashed into Moscon on cobbles
    2017 Vuelta on the stage
    2018 Tour - bumped into a field by Kittel
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited January 2020
    That doesn’t mean anything? Look how many crashes Thomas has had. Yet he’s well capable in the cobbled classics.
    Mathew Van dePole managed to ride into a fence post today, no one else came anywhere near the same fence. Yet he’s probably one of the most technically gifted riders today.
    Sh*t happens.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Oh god not the Froome crashing thing again.
    davieb78 said:

He has just posted this...

Yes apparently the CW article is BS (according to Froome anyway)
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,196
    edited January 2020
    6wheels said:

Seeing as GT has quite a few mentions on this thread, he's on BBC2 tonight at 9pm. May give a bit of insight with his relationship with Bernal.

Christ! That was boring. I'm glad the race wasn't anything like it!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,461

Oh god not the Froome crashing thing again.

davieb78 said:

He has just posted this...

Yes apparently the CW article is BS (according to Froome anyway)
    So he wasn't even fit enough to attend the camp in the first place😮

😏
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,586

6wheels said:

Christ! That was boring. I'm glad the race wasn't anything like it!
    I found it fascinating, you had to look beneath the obvious. Really enjoy it.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • ddraver
    😄
    - @ddraver