saturday of stuff

'ning

looks a bit nippy, ride, coffee, cake
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Weird here, breezy to a serious gale at times. Massive smoke haze cloud through mid-morning from a fire over 1000 km away.

Finished DIY job #1 on the list, onwards to painting. :|

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    edited January 2020
    Morning, it is nippy good wind blowing as well, club ride later
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Long (ish) run planned with some mates and fun bikes with the kids.

Later is either a party with locals or a night in town
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    oxoman said:

Morning All. Parkrun awaits hopefully not as busy as new yrs day when nearly 1000 runners on muddy gravel tracks. Glad I was at work. Tad cool but dry for.a change. Family stuff later.

I went to a different one this week. Only 60 runners (big turnout for them), got a PB :)
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    bike cleaning & maintenance as my bike is caked in mud and deserves a wash, even though the weather is nice enough to ride somewhere for a change from the past few days.
  • thistle_
    awavey said:

bike cleaning & maintenance as my bike is caked in mud and deserves a wash, even though the weather is nice enough to ride somewhere for a change from the past few days.

I tend to go for a ride to the garage with the jet wash and coffee shop on days like that.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    Busy day after the traditional Saturday morning lie in. Got a spot of driving in as well although I'm not sure the hounds appreciated the g-forces despite having their doggy seatbelts on >:) May have to eat, drink and laze now.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • awavey

awavey said:

I tend to go for a ride to the garage with the jet wash and coffee shop on days like that.
    it would have been quicker,warmer and less mucky for sure, however as I was checking my front tyre I found a thorn sticking out of the shoulder of the tyre only by a mm or so

now before Christmas I remember picking up this bit of bramble on a ride that somehow attached itself to my wheel (probably whilst I was off roading to avoid some of the flooded roads) but Id pulled it off hadnt really thought anymore about it, or if Id planned to check it I forgot.

done 250km on my bike since then, did think my front tyre had lost a bit more pressure than the back once, but again didnt check for anything major and it didnt seem unusual.

tried to pull the thorn out with some tweezers,but just ended up destroying the bit sticking out, so had to start getting a bit more brutal to try and dig it out, just as I was flexing it I heard the familiar psssh.

damn, I thought (or words that the swear filter wont like) took the tyre of the rim & yep this thorn was stuck at least 25-50mm inside the inner surface of the tyre, it had punctured the inner tube, but somehow the size of it and because it wasnt in a flexing position it plugged the hole till I started rooting it out, put it all back together though now with my last spare inner tube, and Im worried I didnt sand the inner tyre to debur it properly, but I couldnt feel any pointy bits (its just last time I had a puncture I had that exact problem and multiple pf visits till I just gave up and bought a new tyre)

so that was fun afternoon :) Im just very lucky and glad it didnt whilst I was out riding, not that I cant do roadside repairs, but theres a big difference doing it in summer,with plenty of light and close to home and lots of people around, to being in the middle of nowhere completely alone in the pitch dark/night falling and its freezing cold.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    Aye. Though this is tempting fate and that. Been tubeless on road bike past 2 years without any PF visitations. No probs whatsover. Only time I've had to break out the patch kit was finding a thorn induced slow in my old school and hardly ever used MTB, shows how old, 1997 vintage, just before Christmas. Had been pootling about locally with it, as gym not pub hack.

Oxo, got my rebuilt Malcolm OTP rear wheel back, reshod and ready to go come spring. Love those wheels.
  • Wheelspinner
    oxoman said:

Thistle, was tempted with other local parkrun which is normally about 150 but it's currently very very muddy. Normal parkrun was nearly 800 runners this morning when we normally get 5 or 6 hundred.
    WS, I hope your pretty safe in your area. Looks horrendous on our news, especially given the scale of the fires.

Yep, all fine here Oxo, thank you.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    oxoman said:

AW, time to go tubeless perhaps.

Or the half way house: latex inner tubes.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Wheelspinner
    oxoman said:

Glad to hear that. Suspect I'd struggle riding over there in 40 plus degrees.

Saw that yesterday the outskirts of Sydney actually hit 50 deg C in a few places. There was one automatic weather recording station that sent in a reading of 69.8 deg C. They figured out there were fires either side, not that close either, but near enough to cause the heat spike.

Yikes...

• awavey
    pinno said:

oxoman said:

I thought those only made you faster for TTs :) tbf the inner tube held up surprisingly well considering it did at least another 250km with a huge hole in it, its the tyre Im thinking is rubbish from a puncture protection pov
  • thistle_
    awavey said:

pinno said:

oxoman said:

I thought those only made you faster for TTs :) tbf the inner tube held up surprisingly well considering it did at least another 250km with a huge hole in it, its the tyre Im thinking is rubbish from a puncture protection pov
    Pinno's pop up tyre shop is pretty decent :)