New Hardtail Frame

Hello,

I've had some time off the forum and riding! Partly down to a pretty bad injury and the rest of life getting in the way.

Looking to pick up a new frame to move components over from my current hardtail. I've sort of got myself set on a UK frame manufacturer. I've been looking at Bird and Airdrop. Both seem to have some good value options and from reviews look generally pretty good.

Only requirements are that I can swap everything over from the previous bike. 27.5 wheels, non-boost, 130mm forks.

Anyone have any experience with hardtail frames on offer from these guys or any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I've got the bird zero hardtail frame, its really well made and fits the requirements that I needed. has all the usual rear thru axle, threaded bottom bracket, iscg mounts for a bash guard.

Is your rear wheel boost 148mm? a lot of the frames will be boost now and not 142x12mm.

My frame was the older zero am frame with 142mm rear axle so everything fitted but getting another wheel if you need to wont be that hard to do.

I'm not doing anything extreme on it and just running 130mm revelations with my old 10speed xtr gears. rides nice I just need to fit a dropper post to it next.

have you been checking ebay and other places, I got mine off ebay.

There's also Dartmoor hornet, Ragley etc.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Not wishing to cheapen the thread but I got a Brand-X frame from CRC for £80 and swapped stuff over.

It's 27.5" for 130mm forks (I think) but like a lot of other people, I run my older 26" wheels and have a 140mm fork to keep the BB height about it.

It's non-boost as well but I have noticed that it is 135mm at the back so might not work for you.

Still a great a frame for the money though.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13108559/brand-x-ht01#latest

"Ride, crash, replace"
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    swod1 said:

I've got the bird zero hardtail frame, its really well made and fits the requirements that I needed. has all the usual rear thru axle, threaded bottom bracket, iscg mounts for a bash guard.

Is your rear wheel boost 148mm? a lot of the frames will be boost now and not 142x12mm.

It's an older frame so not boost. The wheelset wasn't that cheaper either so not keen on changing those. An older Zero AM was exactly what I had my sights set on. I've been checking ebay quite a bit, but not found anything the right size (Need an XL)

Good shout on the hornet, I'd forgotten about Dartmoor, but heard good things too.

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Take a look at Ragley. I have recently bought my grandson a Ragley Marley and we have both been very impressed with the build quality, welding, lightness and ride performance.
  • slc123

Take a look at Ragley. I have recently bought my grandson a Ragley Marley and we have both been very impressed with the build quality, welding, lightness and ride performance.

Thanks Steve, I’ll check that out too.
  • Shan
    Or Stanton if you must do the British thing.

But really,, Shan.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Also BTR, Eighteen Bikes, Swarf, Trillion and Starling
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • swod1
    slc123 said:

Good shout on the hornet, I'd forgotten about Dartmoor, but heard good things too.

That's if you can get hold of one, I tried to get hold of one new but everywhere sells out.

I think slam69 it was who were selling them and I think they have got some more different hardtail frames in stock.

There's also ns bikes not sure of the model but they did a hardtail frame with rear thru axle which took a shortish travel fork.

If you can get hold of the older 142mm zero am frame they are rated for about 150mm travel and the rear can run a 203mm disc.
  • slc123
    Managed to pick up a Mk2 Zero AM for a pretty reasonable price.

Just need to get a new air shaft for the Yari's to make them 140/150mm as they are currently 130mm and may be a little short for the geometry.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Nice!
    I bought a second-hand Mk1 Zero frame a couple of years ago and built it up. It’s a great bike.
    In case you don’t know, Bird frames have a transferable lifetime guarantee. If you e-mail or call the guys at Bird they will advise you.They are really good guys to deal with and always very helpful.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    JBA said:

Nice!
    I bought a second-hand Mk1 Zero frame a couple of years ago and built it up. It’s a great bike.
    In case you don’t know, Bird frames have a transferable lifetime guarantee. If you e-mail or call the guys at Bird they will advise you.They are really good guys to deal with and always very helpful.

Yes they are helpful as I couldn't work out what model frame I had at the time of getting it and the seller had no clue but they were happy to help.

Do you know what the thread pitch is of the rear shimano axles used on the mk1 frames? I never found this out. Using my bike currently to go to work on and wanting to change the rear axle to one of them allen key type.
  • JBA
    edited January 2020
    @swod1 - Bird sell a 142x12 Rockshox Maxle Stealth with a pitch of 1.75mm so I assume that is what is required. However, I'd give them a ring to confirm.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    JBA said:

@swod1 - Bird sell a 142x12 Rockshox Maxle Stealth with a pitch of 1.75mm so I assume that is what is required. However, I'd give them a ring to confirm.

Yeah, I noticed that but its a shimano e-thru axle the frame came with, which I need to look into.

• JBA
    Shimano e-thru are 1.5mm pitch.
    I'm not sure what is on mine. I know it's a bit battered. I'll have a look this evening for you.

• swod1
    Great, Its definitely a shimano e-thru axle as its got the little nut held in the frame with a screw.

After fitting some stealth axles to make getting at my wheels at work more difficult even though I'm using heavy duty locks.

Frame paint has held up very well there's some kind of invisiframe tape on mine.