New bike

Hi guys need advise I'm looking to get a mtb as a novice been looking around but unsure which to have i do t really no alot about the specs and stuff it's a bit confusing to be honest. I been looking a couple to start they are the diamond back sync1 or the Carrera vengeance any advise would be great fully appreciated

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Buy one of these from Go Outdoors, Calibre Two Cubed, a much better bike.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Thank you for the advice but reading up on the bike you suggested it's a lot of bike for what I need I didn't mention this in my first comment but 300 my budget really my use will be parks,canal paths,road and might do a bit of road but nothing spectacular
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You don't need a MTB for that type of riding.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    southluke said:

Thank you for the advice but reading up on the bike you suggested it's a lot of bike for what I need I didn't mention this in my first comment but 300 my budget really my use will be parks,canal paths,road and might do a bit of road but nothing spectacular

The problem you have is that you're not really buying a MTB. At that price point they sometimes get called `leisure bikes` as they don't work so well off-road. They look like MTB's but have very entry level parts. You might end up spending more money replacing stuff in the long run.

Another option is a 2nd hand bike that is less than 12 months old.

Spending that bit extra will get you a much better bike. I appreciate that you have a limited budget, so you may have to go with your initial choices.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    And if you do go to Go Outdoors, before you buy a bike from them get one of their discount cards. I doubt that the shop will sell you one in the few minutes before you buy the bike, so allow a day or two.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15942432/go-outdoors-discount-card-5-a-year-15942432

It will cost £5 for a year and will give you at least 10% off everything you buy, plus other benefits.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at this at Go Outdoors.

Forks are more than Ok at this price, hydraulic discs and fast rolling 29" wheels. 27 speed with Acera/Alivio components. Ideal for what you want.
    https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15906936/forme-sterndale-1-29er-mountain-bike-15906936
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.