Winter gloved

Happy new year all.
I'm after some warm winter gloves for early
ish 7am short 5 mile fast sub 30 min commute but I do get cold hands.

I didn't want spend loads but past point of caring now just want warm hands any suggestions!

So far I'm tempted with either Gore C5 £65 or Castelli Extremos down from £95 to also £65 ish or a 2 glove system such as the Specialized Therminal™ Liner Glove £21 and Element 2 £53 gloves

Any other cheaper /better options?

Thanks Andy

Comments

• delv4
    delv4 Posts: 28
    These but they won't feel warm right away, usually takes a few miles to generate the heat
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-pro-sl-primaloft-waterproof-gloves/
  • If you don’t want to spend a fortune, go to your local outdoors shops and buy some ski gloves
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    The Castelli Estremos are superb. Warmest winter glove I've come across.
    I wonder if Hestra make cycling gloves? They make the best ski gloves......
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I have a few different ski glove type but wind just Rio's through and/or dexterity doesn't allow gear changes...

I have load of thinsulate type too that again don't keep me warm so want try primaloft insulation...

How are the Extremo for dexterity, I also read the inner liners can pull out ? Are they a good deal at £65 or are they like £30 in the summer do you know??
    Thanks again
    Andy
  • andyh01
    delv4 said:

These but they won't feel warm right away, usually takes a few miles to generate the heat

Looked at those as says down to -10 but then says sweat build up evaporates - how breathable are they? I also wasn't too sure on the leather palm? I am a bit finicky when comes to feel and prefer to at least try them on before committing. I must say Evans are helpful for this, having brought a mid gore glove for £40 as liked the feel but not warm enough for this time of year and a as able to return for full refund. They have the Gore c5s but not the Extremo, think they had tempest (didn't like the gel padding) or endura
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited December 2019
    I’m wondering how you can’t change gear given on most bifters you just push a lever to the side. You could do it wearing oven gloves.
    Also you are only riding for 30 minutes you could get away with a pair of your thinsulate gloves with a pair of marigolds over the top.
  • andyh01
    webboo said:

I’m wondering how you can’t change gear given on most bifters

Especially when tried double gloves, so fingers not all way to end/tip of gloves then when using the inner lever, the finger tips can then get trapped in-between the two levers ... Also can struggle to move the inner lever without catching the bigger outer lever ...

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    My fingers are battered with forty plus years of rock climbing. I can’t grip a pencil in my fist, my fingers no longer curl in to a fist. Yet I can change gear in ski gloves, mitts etc.
    Can you do it with bare hands :D
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,142
    I got some "winter gloves" from bike discount for about £20 to make up an order to the free delivery amount.

The brand is molon labe - I've never heard of them but the gloves are pretty good and warm enough on most days.

If it's really cold, I've got some thin cotton gloves that I also wear under them for extra warmth.
  • delv4
    delv4 Posts: 28
    andyh01 said:

delv4 said:

Looked at those as says down to -10 but then says sweat build up evaporates - how breathable are they? I also wasn't too sure on the leather palm? I am a bit finicky when comes to feel and prefer to at least try them on before committing. I must say Evans are helpful for this, having brought a mid gore glove for £40 as liked the feel but not warm enough for this time of year and a as able to return for full refund. They have the Gore c5s but not the Extremo, think they had tempest (didn't like the gel padding) or endura
    (Endura) Pretty breathable for me (and i'm a heavy sweater), very comfortable glove. I also have the Castelli Estremos which initially when you put them on are definitely warmer but the Enduras soon heat up nicely without over-heating. The estremos very slightly edge it on comfort but they are not as water resistant as the Endura
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Lidl ski gloves do the job for me (personal low -7° so far).
    Warm, comfortable, easy to brake and change gear.
    I think they were a tenner.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edited January 2020
    You simply cannot beat these for £6 https://www.army-surplus.co.uk/meraklon-thermal-gloves I first got a pair 30 years ago in the Army. I now have three pairs so always got a clean pair every day in winter.

They are incredibly thin yet they are brilliant at keeping your hands warm. I don’t wear gloves until it gets below about 10c when I simply wear a pair of these. As it gets colder I will add a second pair of them, which helps with the windchill, or wear a windproof outer glove. As it gets even colder and/ or wetter I change the outer for a waterproof glove with two pairs of meraklon liners underneath. Works for me and significantly less bulky than a full ski glove, which are undoubtedly warm.

PP
  • andyh01
    delv4 said:

andyh01 said:

delv4 said:

(Endura) Pretty breathable for me (and i'm a heavy sweater), very comfortable glove. I also have the Castelli Estremos which initially when you put them on are definitely warmer but the Enduras soon heat up nicely without over-heating. The estremos very slightly edge it on comfort but they are not as water resistant as the Endura
    Ooo great to know you've had experience of both...
    If you were to rebuy one of the 2, which would you go for, bearing in mind Extremo are on sale at £65 - do you have issue with the inners of Extremo coming out when taking them off and thus hard to get back on?
    I do have some Castelli neoprene gloves for when really raining....
    Just thinking I could be half way there/back by time the Endura have warmed up..
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    delv4 said:

If like me you get cold hands then this will apply regardless of glove choice.

I often find that on 30 minute winter morning commutes my hands never really warm up before I get to work. However, if I ride for an hour or more in the same conditions they are plenty warm enough, even to the point where I can take them off and ride bare-handed for a while. If you can get warmed up and blood flowing before you leave the house you may manage with thinner/lighter gloves.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • I sent my Estremos back as they were so bulky, they were like wearing oven gloves!
    I already had some Assos glove liners, so now when it’s really cold I wear those with Castelli Perfetto RoS over the top and I’m toasty...I also have some Castelli Diluvio neoprene jobbys for when’s its shelling down, but they do make your hands sweat like anything...ultimately, I guess like saddles, it’s all very personal and subjective - as what I feel is cold may not be to you, and vice versa...