Tyre judder

Noticed on my full suspension bike when braking heavy down hills the whole bike judders
The tyres grip but then slide really fast making whole bike judder
What tyres would any one recommend or it it any problem and not tyres
Thanks

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Lack of information to make any judgement beside learn to feather your brakes.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited December 2019
    By "The tyres grip but then slide really fast" do you mean you are skidding or that the brakes are failing to lock the wheels and the rotors are moving between the brake pads?

More details are needed:
    What bike?
    What brakes?
    What tyres?

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • It’s a Merida 120 full suspension
    On tarmac if you put brakes on hard bike will skid and lock wheels but as tyre grips it vibrants the frame
    Brakes are good
    Continental tyres are pretty new
    Not sure if I should change tyres but that might not help
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Is your headset tight?
  • Everything tight it’s all at the back end what shakes
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Sounds like a regular skid to me :neutral:
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Stop skidding is my advice.
    Skids are for kids!
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,143
    Is it definitely the tyre skidding, not the brakes losing grip on the rotor?

If it's the tyre, I'd expect the skid marks on the road to be intermittent. Just break more gently (You'll probably stop faster if your tyre isn't sliding).
    If it's the brakes, there's something up with them. Possibly some contamination on the rotor or the pads are vibrating somehow or the caliper is loose. I've had this, but on really rubbish old brakes, with warped rotors and really old brake fluid (i.e. pub bike)
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited December 2019
    I don't know the OP, but I'm pretty sure he/she will be able to tell the difference between a skid and judder. On that assumption I would follow Oxoman's advice.

If there is also any squealing or howling coming from the brakes, I would suspect contamination of the pad/disc interface. The contamination can come from oil on the road, it's not just from poor practice when lubing the bike.
  • mark.ogg “…when braking heavy down hills… The tyres grip but then slide really fast making whole bike judder
    mark.ogg “On tarmac if you put brakes on hard bike will skid and lock wheels but as tyre grips it vibrants the frame

This all sounds perfectly normal behaviour for a locked up rear wheel to me. Braking earlier, moving your body weight over the rear or further back and feathering the brakes if you lock a wheel all need to be practised to be perfected