Which of Planet X Frame offerings would you choose.

Merry Christmas to all.

Got a little xmas bonus from work earmarked to be spent on a new frame. My old Ribble R872 has a cracked chainstay (or two) and I wish to get a new Carbon frame to hang my components on. My budget is around £500 and I would like a carbon frame (already have an alu boardman).

Now it seems £500 doesn't get you a lot these days so it looks like Planet X (i know i know) maybe my only saviour. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, knowledge or ride experience on any of these frames. Or any suggestions based on my criteria!

Holdsworth Super Professional Carbon (Black)

Planet X EC-130E

Planet X Pro Carbon EVO

Not sure if links are allowed!!!

Thanks

Comments

• Probably the https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCEVOD/planet-x-pro-carbon-evo-disc-frameset for £260 with code.

Put £301+ in a basket at Merlin and 7020 hydraulic 2*11 brifter set is effectively ~£215 https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-r7020-hydraulic-disc-sti-levers-r7070-flat-mount-disc-calipers-11-speed-119868.html (it currently looks cheaper to buy Groupset parts separately).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Have you checked out the classifieds on here.

Scott CR1 on offer for £220 asking price. Might be able to make an offer. Size is 56 if that suits you. Nice frame for the money

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13109437/scott-cr1-full-carbon-frame-for-sale-56cm#latest
  • Out of interest, where are cracks (photos) as I have an r872 and would appreciate some insight into where to look. My money would be on the pro caRbon evo.
  • abedfo88
    abedfo88 Posts: 25
    edited December 2019

Out of interest, where are cracks (photos) as I have an r872 and would appreciate some insight into where to look. My money would be on the pro caRbon evo.

Cracks on both chainstay at approx same point. Could be the paint but lost faith in frame to be honest.

• js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    edited December 2019
    The Holdsworth Carbon frameset is made by Shandong Taishan Ruibao Composite Material Co. The Chinese Taishan Sports group appears to sell a complete bike with a very similar frame under the Pardus brand. For the money, it looks like a reasonably light weight frame, assuming you like the retro paint scheme. The disadvantage is the headset is not included, and since the tapered fork is a non-standard 1"1/8 - 1"3/8, you'll be hard pressed to find one except at Planet-X. Note the bottom bracket is PF30 and not BSA.

I would also take a look at Cycle Republic, which has some Boardman carbon frames being sold for similar prices, with the headset included.
  • abedfo88
    abedfo88 Posts: 25
    edited December 2019
    I would also take a look at Cycle Republic, which has some Boardman carbon frames being sold for similar prices, with the headset included.

I had my eye on one which was a bargain-unfortunately my size is now gone!!

Very interesting info regarding the Pardus, ive heard good things.
  • js14 said:

The Holdsworth Carbon frameset is made by Shandong Taishan Ruibao Composite Material Co. The Chinese Taishan Sports group appears to sell a complete bike with a very similar frame under the Pardus brand. For the money, it looks like a reasonably light weight frame, assuming you like the retro paint scheme. The disadvantage is the headset is not included, and since the tapered fork is a non-standard 1-1/4 1-3/8, you'll be hard pressed to find one except at Planet-X. Note the bottom bracket is PF30 and not BSA.

Its literally the Pardus Super 5 ;)
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    abedfo88 said:

It looks the same and the geometry is the same, but I erred on the side of caution! By the way, I've corrected the fork diameters in my original post: 1"1/8 - 1"3/8.
  • js14 said:

abedfo88 said:

It looks the same and the geometry is the same, but I erred on the side of caution! By the way, I've corrected the fork diameters in my original post: 1"1/8 - 1"3/8.
    I've seen FSA do a headset bearing for that size which is a relief.

Luckily I have a praxis works crank and Bb so I can run the PF30. Also would be tempted to put a sleeve in to BSA adapter like I did for my Ribble.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, I bought a pro carbon evo disc frameset a couple of weeks back. Might help you to know that it comes with a seatpost clamp, I added one on unnecessarily!

The EC-130 color scheme was too boring (stealthed out black is so five years ago....) and I'd rather keep the extra cash in my pocket/put it towards the rest of the build.

Holdsworth is nice looking but I wanted discs to go with a new groupset I picked up a few months ago for a song.

Presumably too late to go to ribble on warranty for the frame?

Problem with all of these cheap framesets is usually only a couple of years warranty, whereas if you push the boat out and get a reduced Giant say, you should still get the lifetime frame warranty - got my tcr a few years back for £900
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I'd contact Ribble. Your frame may be out of warranty but the standard response for a cracked frame when out of warranty is to offer a new frame at a discount. And Ribbble's have come on a lot since you bought your R872. You dont know what (if anything) they will offer you, but if it is as much as 50% then an Endurance SL would just about come into budget (which is a significant upgrade). Even a new R872 would be a good upgrade as they've made a lot of useful changes in the latest generation.