Thru axle -> QR hub adaptors

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited December 2019 in Workshop
Bought a set of wheels in the sale having checked that 12mm to QR adaptors were included, was advised they were but when they arrived it turns out that they weren’t. I’ve contacted the company to see what they can do about it as the deal was very good and I’d rather keep them but I may need to find some adaptors myself. Anyone got any brands that they’ve used before that do a decent job? Seen some on eBay that look very simple to use. I want to explore all options before getting them returned.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    For the front wheel you can use generic adapters for a couple of quid on eBay.

For the rear you will need the exact type as you will need to replace the axle. It might not be possible, depending on the wheel.

You've given us no details so we can't help beyond that.
  • johngti
    No, realise that, was hoping something generic would work. They’re fulcrum racing 5 db wheels - the specs claim compatibility with QR so there must be something official available.

Thanks for the info.
  • johngti
    Little confused here. These seem to be the official fulcrum parts i.e. push fit end caps rather than a whole new axle. Not necessarily fulcrum specific but has anyone ever done something similar? I’m probably going to send them back to be honest. Anyway, axle caps:

• johngti
    Right, bought some adaptors just to see. Not expensive, worth a shout. I’ll update on here just for the sake of drawing a line under the issue and it may be useful to someone else.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    I've looked into doing it the other way with a hope pro 4 front hub but haven't bitten the bullet yet (It was to fit a sale fork but fork wasn't quite the bargain it seemed).

Those push in caps look like they might work, but you'll still need a QR skewer to go through them - just pinch the ones off your old wheels.
  • johngti

Those push in caps look like they might work, but you'll still need a QR skewer to go through them - just pinch the ones off your old wheels.

That’s the plan! I’ll let you know how it goes. Seems like it’s such an easy solution - I’ve ordered a couple of full length things from eBay.